Ratings & Reactions: Arsenal v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

192 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your man of the match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/09/22 at 22:59

It was noticeable today that he'd basically resorted to firing the players up and telling them to go out there and kick Arsenal off the park.

Which might have worked in the late 90s, but nowadays just means the ref blows for fouls constantly and you find yourselves defending free kicks.

• Like 2

Just now, KentVillan said:

It was noticeable today that he'd basically resorted to firing the players up and telling them to go out there and kick Arsenal off the park.

Which might have worked in the late 90s, but nowadays just means the ref blows for fouls constantly and you find yourselves defending free kicks.

Don’t think we even did that well. So many times they our muscled us off the ball. Was getting very frustrating. 

2 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

That's ok because we have 12 set piece coaches

27 minutes ago, thunderball said:

TBH I don’t think Smiths performance was ever this bad (giving credit to the squad that Gerrard has)?

Possibly not but the fan base spoke so there was no going back as there is now. Who will be next to suffer the same problem ?  Probably doesn’t matter he will be screwed before he starts. (Unless it’s a she) Now there’s a thing to ponder.

1 minute ago, Tom13 said:

As bad as we were, yet again, the goals we concede are pathetic, and avoidable.

Maybe if everyone wasn't running around like headless chickens with no idea what they were doing then they wouldn't be dizzy at crucial moments and make mistakes 😛

Just now, PieFacE said:

Maybe if everyone wasn't running around like headless chickens with no idea what they were doing then they wouldn't be dizzy at crucial moments and make mistakes 😛

Yeah fair point.

2 minutes ago, smg said:

Possibly not but the fan base spoke so there was no going back as there is now. Who will be next to suffer the same problem ?  Probably doesn’t matter he will be screwed before he starts. (Unless it’s a she) Now there’s a thing to ponder.

Cards on the table, the Smith axe was a correct and ballsey decision,  don’t misinterpret my post as some nostalgic day dream. We need an established, hungry candidate, not a speculative gamble on a. Inexperienced retired player come manager wannabe Pep, that dream is 1000-1

4 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

As bad as we were, yet again, the goals we concede are pathetic, and avoidable.

There's truth to this, but they could have had another 3 or 4. They should have put the game to bed a long time before we scored, and in the 20 odd minutes afterwards. They had 22 shots at goal to our 4.

Not only do we concede too many goals, we don't create enough chances. Individual errors can be mitigated by a functioning system, at the moment we have the worst of both worlds. It's relegation stuff and I'm getting 15/16 vibes. 

5 minutes ago, thunderball said:

Cards on the table, the Smith axe was a correct and ballsey decision,  don’t misinterpret my post as some nostalgic day dream. We need an established, hungry candidate, not a speculative gamble on a. Inexperienced retired player come manager wannabe Pep, that dream is 1000-1

So who then ?

OBSERVATION:

Pre kick off BT interview: Gerrard queried over Mings presence: “ must be a relief to have Mings back after injury” or similar: Gerrard avoided answering directly or positively and instead tweaked his ear which is a classic body language denial - a signal that you are betraying/escaping a truth (lying). Mings injury is buckshot

What a strange game.

From the opening whistle we weren't going to get much from the referee. McGinn elbowed in the face, not even a foul. Meanwhile, 5 fouls against in the first 15 minutes as Arsenal players fall over themselves.

Not much changed during the game either, with Odegaard kicking the ball out on the far side of the pitch, then walking off the other side in the 85th minute as he was subbed. Ummm... hello? "Closest exit", Mr Referee?

But that was always going to be the case away at Arsenal and there were no real big incidents to report - we were battered that much.

I can't fault the effort of a single player tonight. You can see they are trying, but you can also see they lack any sort of confidence or belief.

I wouldn't read anything into our second half performance. Arsenal were saving themselves for the next game vs ManUre in a few days time. When we finally equalised, they simply stepped up a gear, replied almost immediately, then back to second gear to see the match out.

You know things are bad when even the commentators - who, for mine, couldn't read a game if it was printed in a book - say things like:

"The front 3 are incredibly narrow"

"The midfield are struggling for Aston Villa, look how wide Ramsey and McGinn are defending!"

"Steven Gerrard badly needs to make a substitution and get some energy in the game. He could use some energy himself seeing how he is slumped in his chair at the moment"

Now our issues run deeper than the manager and it may be that some of our players are getting a free ride given their current form, but it's terribly hard to see any future here for Gerrard.

Surely the odds of a Haaland first half hat trick against us on the weekend are pretty short.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, thunderball said:

Really? Is your suggestion that Gerrard is the best manager available to us in the world? 

Not at all, his days are numbered just interested in your preferred replacement as I haven’t seen any evidence yet of your preferred replacement.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Joshie2000 said:

I don't agree on the manager, as I think he needs time, yes he's making mistakes, but go back 12 months and Arteta was doing badly, he was given time to get players in to how he wanted to play and get rid of the 1's not up to it, and look at them now. 

Totally different team, but I respect your view and opinion. 

You say the players are trying but it's them making the basic mistakes and that's on them and not the manager. 

Tonight's 2nd goal is down to Cash, just leaving his man in the box, nothing a manager can do about it. 

I think he should have at least till end of October and if results and performances are still not good then the owners and CEO need to take action, but only if the right manager is available. 

You love a good Relegation scrap?

32 minutes ago, thunderball said:

OBSERVATION:

Pre kick off BT interview: Gerrard queried over Mings presence: “ must be a relief to have Mings back after injury” or similar: Gerrard avoided answering directly or positively and instead tweaked his ear which is a classic body language denial - a signal that you are betraying/escaping a truth (lying). Mings injury is buckshot

Another Observation:

Mings was far more vocal/trying to organize the team tonight than he has been in any other game this season.

It's obvious that Gerrard is done. The fans know it and so do the players.

• Like 1

Â