Relegation Battle - 22/23

Tayls

38 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

So is 7th out of the question now?

It’s genuinely not, but it all depends on who and when is the next manager. Get Poch in before Leicester and we have a good chance of top half, which wouldn’t exactly be a wasted season considering we haven’t haven’t achieved that in a decade.

Newcastle were in a much worse position squad and points wise while Bruce was still in charge last season, and even for a few games after Howe took over IIRC.

26 minutes ago, grobs said:

How much of a hint do you need? 4 losses out of 5 with an easy start. Wake up 

Arsenal had a similar start last season and finished 5th.

Our squad isn't quite as good and our manager is terrible but there's still enough time to turn this around. Newcastle last season won 1 in how many? 12?

Just now, skarroki said:

Our squad isn't quite as good and our manager is terrible but there's still enough time to turn this around. Newcastle last season won 1 in how many? 12?

5 games is not insignificant chunk of the season. Especially with the games we’ve played. The teams people expected to be at the bottom have invested heavily and you could easily argue that they will stay up. Just look at the odds for us to go down. Dropping like a bag of bricks 

4 minutes ago, skarroki said:

Yeah they lost the first 3 then won the next 9 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, skarroki said:

Newcastle had an amazing run of form from mid January....still didn't finish top half.

I want us to quickly pick up so 9th-10th is still seen as realistic. It certainly isn't with how we're playing currently and the results are reflecting it especially as we've never been good at Gerrard in grinding out draws to keep the points total ticking over.

6 minutes ago, skarroki said:

Well we're not **** Arsenal are we.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, grobs said:

The teams people expected to be at the bottom have invested heavily and you could easily argue that they will stay up. 

The only team that I would say is guaranteed to go down is Bournemouth, who invested nothing and then just shot themselves in the foot by firing their manager. There are another 8-9 teams that could go down, and we're one of them.

3 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Well we're not **** Arsenal are we.

We're not **** Forest or Everton or any number of other clubs either though. 

Jesus Christ some of you need a stiff drink and / or a good night's sleep. We're not sleepwalking to relegation it's **** August. Calm down. Gerrard will be gone soon and the only way he isn't is if we start picking up points fast and playing a different brand of football. 

There is nothing wrong with this squad I can tell you that. Any one of those players on the pitch today gets bought by a Prem team to be in the starting XI if we got relegated. 

Everton were too good to go down and their squad balance and tactics are absolutely shocking. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, skarroki said:

We're not **** Forest or Everton or any number of other clubs either though. 

Jesus Christ some of you need a stiff drink and / or a good night's sleep. We're not sleepwalking to relegation it's **** August. Calm down. Gerrard will be gone soon and the only way he isn't is if we start picking up points fast and playing a different brand of football. 

There is nothing wrong with this squad I can tell you that. Any one of those players on the pitch today gets bought by a Prem team to be in the starting XI if we got relegated. 

Everton were too good to go down and their squad balance and tactics are absolutely shocking. 

This comes up a lot - there are a host of players within our squad who are dreadful and should be nowhere near a premier league side aiming for what what we are aiming for. Yes a lot of the current situation is on the Gerrard and hopefully he will be replaced, but, it also on the players and their ‘talents’. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

No, you're right, they've both been better than we have so far.

The point was Arsenal were dreadful and finished 5th. Newcastle were beyond absymal and finished midtable. I think we can just about scrape 17th with only 33 games to go 

We need to make the change now. I can't see any signs of improvement that would suggest that Gerrard is capable of turning this around. I don't think that he has the support of the dressing room any more, and from what I read/hear, the majority of the fans want him out.

It's so sad as we had so much positivity building over the past few years. The connection between the club and the fans is being broken and a season that we were looking forward to in terms of being able to push on and challenge the top 10 is in serious danger of becoming a fight for survival. It's a shame, as I really did think that we were past all this bollocks. 1 decent season of finishing 11th, followed by a season of utter "meh", and now back to worrying about relegation again if we don't change something ASAP.

6 minutes ago, skarroki said:

The point was Arsenal were dreadful and finished 5th. Newcastle were beyond absymal and finished midtable. I think we can just about scrape 17th with only 33 games to go 

I'm not trying to be argumentative but there are clearly massive financial differences between ourselves and both Arsenal and Newcastle, so their experience is just not relevant. Wolves might be a better example of the point you're making.

Of course we *can* finish 17th or above, but we are going to need to make a change for that to happen. If we continue playing as we are now, we will finish 18th or below.