Relegation Battle - 22/23

Tayls

It’s ridiculous that we find ourselves in this position again, especially after all of the promises made, how we are going to be striving towards success and using our owners’ ‘significant resources’ to help drive that. But yet, this summer transfer window has been a massive failure. We haven’t addressed nearly half of the problem areas. This must have come from the top who are refusing to give up the funds necessary to invest in the squad further. And on top of that, there appears to be a crisis in the dressing room with a lot of unhappy faces and ridiculously low morale. 

These players must enjoy losing. Because they certainly do not show any passion or hunger to win, that’s for sure. 

Pathetic. 

• Like 1

I don't think we will go down or even be in much of a relegation battle, we've got off to a bad start but this happens to teams every season and they end up being nowhere near relegation, this time last season after five games Leeds, Wolves, and Newcastle were all on three points, Leeds lucky to survive in the end, but Newcastle and Wolves were comfortable, and you will see similar scenarios going back through all the seasons.

Likewise teams that have got off to a good start like Southampton and Fulham will drop down the table eventually, Everton were on ten points after five games last season, Brighton were on twelve points then hardly won another game until their final ten or so games.

Point is it's still early in the season and a lot can and probably will change as it always does.

we've got a squad that should be good enough to challenge for top half if managed right, I don't think anyone disagreed with that before the season started, that hasn't changed our players haven't suddenly become bad players, but unfortunately it's looking like we're going to have to change manager to get the best out of our squad, get someone in who knows how to set us up right and I think we will stay up comfortably.

• Like 3

We won't get relegated unless, beyond all reason, the owners hold on to Slippy much longer. We have too much talent. Give us a competent manager and he'll have enough to work with to survive.

1 minute ago, TomC said:

We won't get relegated unless, beyond all reason, the owners hold on to Slippy much longer. We have too much talent. Give us a competent manager and he'll have enough to work with to survive.

Too much talent?

Edited by Tayls

4 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Pound for pound we're the worst team by miles. Bournemouth actually picked up 4 points and kept two clean sheets, they've just been unlucky with fixture list.

Everton battling hard for draws and hampered by FFP but are signing some o.k players on paper so attempting to do something about that.

West Ham getting a good draw off Spurs so they're slowly rising up the league.

Leicester poor but they've finished 5th, 5th, 8th with the squad they have so once window is closed will surely win some games. They'll probably beat us 1-0 in a few weeks.

We can't keep clean sheets, our chance creation is terrible given our goal tonight was a bit of a fluke and we don't run with any great speed so it certainly has 15/16 vibes I'd say.

Agreed. The mistake we made in 15/16 was acting too slowly; Sherwood was clearly out of his depth and the side was going nowhere, but we held on for 10 or 11 games and Sunderland sacked whoever it was they had and brought in Allardyce, who was the obvious choice and kept them up. Then we took a chance on Remi Garde, and the rest is history. I'm not saying we need to be calling Allardyce or Pulis, but there is likely to be a better selection of managers available *now* than there will be in two months or whatever.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Tayls said:

But yet, this summer transfer window has been a massive failure. We haven’t addressed nearly half of the problem areas.

Actually, we did. We fixed the top two problem areas, another CB (gone through injury, nobody's fault) and a DM. I wouldn't call the window a failure. (Unless Dougie leaves tomorrow.) Maybe only average, but certainly not a failure.

The problem is that the manager doesn't know what to do with what we have.

• Like 1

Too much talent?

Our most recent posts crossed, but clearly we disagree about the players we have. Yes, we have enough talent to be a comfortably midtable team under a competent manager.

1 minute ago, TomC said:

Actually, we did. We fixed the top two problem areas, another CB (gone through injury, nobody's fault) and a DM. I wouldn't call the window a failure. (Unless Dougie leaves tomorrow.) Maybe only average, but certainly not a failure.

The problem is that the manager doesn't know what to do with what we have.

We needed a Bissouma/Bentancur type on top of Kamara given we were targeting them in January and that has seemingly been binned in making McGinn captain.

Wasn't really enamoured either with another season of Ings/Watkins alternating so ideally would like another striker but little point when the football we're playing is so mediocre and lacking in quality chance creation.

Just now, VillaChris said:

We needed a Bissouma/Bentancur type on top of Kamara given we were targeting them in January and that has seemingly been binned in making McGinn captain.

Wasn't really enamoured either with another season of Ings/Watkins alternating so ideally would like another striker but little point when the football we're playing is so mediocre and lacking in quality chance creation.

Agreed, I would have liked to have brought in another experienced MF. McGinn has regressed, Ramsey is promising but still young. But still, I wouldn't call the window a failure.

3 minutes ago, TomC said:

Our most recent posts crossed, but clearly we disagree about the players we have. Yes, we have enough talent to be a comfortably midtable team under a competent manager.

Ok. I don’t see it. I think we severely lack talent. We have players who absolutely should not be playing in a side that is, apparently, aiming for top half of the league. 

Yes we addressed a CB issue and a DM issue, but the way I see it, we have a second CB, a CM and 2 x ST issues that also need to be addressed.

Edited by Tayls

Just now, USA_Villa said:

12 points behind Arsenal after 5 games. How scary is that?

Does that really matter? We had a chance of finishing above Arsenal two seasons back, couldn't and now they're lightyears infront of us again. 

If we're not careful likes of Southampton will be 10 points clear of us soon which will be a bit more worrying.

Ok. I don’t see it. I think we severely lack talent. We have players who absolutely should not be playing in a side that is, apparently, aiming for top half 

Let's hope that we have a new manager very soon and then we'll see who's right! 🙂

And to be fair, I said we had enough talent to survive and be comfortably mid-table, not to break into the top 8.

Edited by TomC

7 minutes ago, useless said:

I don't think we will go down or even be in much of a relegation battle, we've got off to a bad start but this happens to teams every season and they end up being nowhere near relegation, this time last season after five games Leeds, Wolves, and Newcastle were all on three points, Leeds lucky to survive in the end, but Newcastle and Wolves were comfortable, and you will see similar scenarios going back through all the seasons.

Likewise teams that have got off to a good start like Southampton and Fulham will drop down the table eventually, Everton were on ten points after five games last season, Brighton were on twelve points then hardly won another game until their final ten or so games.

Point is it's still early in the season and a lot can and probably will change as it always does.

we've got a squad that should be good enough to challenge for top half if managed right, I don't think anyone disagreed with that before the season started, that hasn't changed our players haven't suddenly become bad players, but unfortunately it's looking like we're going to have to change manager to get the best out of our squad, get someone in who knows how to set us up right and I think we will stay up comfortably.

this is a sensible post and how it really is if we're being a little objective about things. we really do need to sack Gerrard though because the way he has us playing is a goddam calamity.

• Like 1

We are relegation favorites in my book. Let's hope you all are right and Gerrard is sacked and all our players flourish and show how good they really are.

I think Gerrard will get the sack, but not yet after City, however much we lose. And we'll still get relegated. 

1 minute ago, USA_Villa said:

12 points behind Arsenal after 5 games. How scary is that?

There was a time we were boasting about beating them to the signing of Buendia. How things change. 

We’re going to be right amongst it this season unless things change. Don’t get me wrong, the absolute first thing the board need to do to change this is to sack Gerrard but I won’t lie to you, some of the performances from almost all of our players should concern people. 

I too think we have a squad that should finish somewhere between 10th - 15th but right now, some of our players look truly, truly awful.

I really hope a lot of this is down to Gerrard because if it isn’t, this thread is going to be an ever present this season.