Game of Thrones - House of the Dragon

Demitri_C

Milly Alcock who plays Rhaenyra is by far the most convincing at the moment and is very much carrying the show. Ifan's role seems so familiar and not original or convincing, just like a theatre character baddy. Matt Smith playing Deamon is good, although I find his character lacking dialogue. Paddy Considine plays Viserys well but not the most convincing of Kings. 

I'm finding it a little poor, especially the jump from episode 2 to 3 which fast forwarded a couple of years. I found that really weird. Okay...it's not bad but I'm not gripped anywhere near the levels of early GOT. I found the characters more cheeky, naughtier, darker and generally not as dull as what I'm finding at the moment in HOD. I feel other than Rhaenyra and the Tristan Cole character the characters are quite boring. I'm unsure how I feel about it, from the CGI which is also pretty dreadful and more cartoony than GOT, to the Dragons which look elongated and weird and then there are the characters.....meh. It's missing something, in fact it's missing quite a lot.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, avfc1982am said:

Milly Alcock who plays Rhaenyra is by far the most convincing at the moment and is very much carrying the show. Ifan's role seems so familiar and not original or convincing, just like a theatre character baddy. Matt Smith playing Deamon is good, although I find his character lacking dialogue. Paddy Considine plays Viserys well but not the most convincing of Kings. 

I'm finding it a little poor, especially the jump from episode 2 to 3 which fast forwarded a couple of years. I found that really weird. Okay...it's not bad but I'm not gripped anywhere near the levels of early GOT. I found the characters more cheeky, naughtier, darker and generally not as dull as what I'm finding at the moment in HOD. I feel other than Rhaenyra and the Tristan Cole character the characters are quite boring. I'm unsure how I feel about it, from the CGI which is also pretty dreadful and more cartoony than GOT, to the Dragons which look elongated and weird and then there are the characters.....meh. It's missing something, in fact it's missing quite a lot.  

The plot lines are so dull I didn't even notice it jumped ahead 3 years!

7 hours ago, ender4 said:
  Hide contents

What happened to the Kings cuts and disease he seemed to be getting in episode 2? He seems to be well again.

Spoiler

It's being hidden by his gloves. He never removes his gloves in public 

In the scene where he was talking to his new wife by the fire, he has them off and you can see he's missing a few fingers on his left hand

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, avfc1982am said:

I'm finding it a little poor, especially the jump from episode 2 to 3 which fast forwarded a couple of years. I found that really weird. Okay...it's not bad but I'm not gripped anywhere near the levels of early GOT. I found the characters more cheeky, naughtier, darker and generally not as dull as what I'm finding at the moment in HOD. I feel other than Rhaenyra and the Tristan Cole character the characters are quite boring. I'm unsure how I feel about it, from the CGI which is also pretty dreadful and more cartoony than GOT, to the Dragons which look elongated and weird and then there are the characters.....meh. It's missing something, in fact it's missing quite a lot. Erys 

I think viserys is the one carrying the show at the moment to be honest. He seems like a nice and fair king but you can see elements of him turning.

Deamon is a good a character too. I really like the mystery of his character 

Spoiler

Still not sure how they didn't rout the Crabfeeders men with the assistance of.  dragons tbh. Burn the archers and catapults off the top with a dragon onslaught and push in and flush out their men. Felt a bit cheap that Daemon just took on a horde of men whilst a sea of archers pinged arrows at him with like 3 total hitting him. Other than that enjoyed the episode a lot 

24 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I think viserys is the one carrying the show at the moment to be honest. He seems like a nice and fair king but you can see elements of him turning.

Deamon is a good a character too. I really like the mystery of his character 

Like I said, I think the 3 characters are okay, I'm just not convinced there is enough depth in the story thus far. I think it lacks characters and is jumping time too quickly. 

Where I think the original GOT was amazing was the flip between character stories. It gave you chance to become immersed in the personalities and I'm just not getting that at the moment. It needs much more. 

Hopefully it picks up but at the moment I'm finding it lacking the shock factor. It feels a little rushed. It's early and about opinions but I'm not taken with it yet. 

10 hours ago, avfc1982am said:

Maybe I've misread your intent with this bit, but I don't see how Paddy Considine/Viserys being an unconvincing king is a criticism? He's supposed to be weak, it's what his cuts from the Iron Throne are symbolising. The Throne was built by Aegon the Conqueror from the swords surrended by his enemies and is intended to be uncomfortable as "a king should never sit easy" (This version is far closer to the monstrosity described in the books than the GoT version) and it is said in the novels that being cut by the Throne is akin to the Throne rejecting the King, one early King, Maegor the Cruel, was even killed on/by the Throne with slashes down his arms and a blade protruding out under his chin from the back of his neck.

the CGI which is also pretty dreadful and more cartoony than GOT, to the Dragons which look elongated and weird

This is intentional. Caraxes, Daemon's dragon, is described as being red, huge and lean, and is also nicknamed "the Blood Wyrm". It's supposed to be this funky looking thing compared to the other dragons, which to me have looked fine in the show so far.

• Like 4

16 hours ago, maqroll said:

I can't decide if he's good in this or miscast. 

Hide contents

I know he's supposed to convey weakness and he is, but there's something about his bearing that seems out of place in the world of GoT...

I love him as an actor and in this show, but every time I see him I think of this moment:

sub-buzz-7961-1620855029-3.thumb.webp.8cfa07bd14f3fb8cfb750dad4cd60287.webp

Which is one of my favourite movie moments. He's doing great now too, I'm never in doubt about his feelings even when he is conflicted.

1 hour ago, MessiWillSignForVilla said:

Maybe I've misread your intent with this bit, but I don't see how Paddy Considine/Viserys being an unconvincing king is a criticism? He's supposed to be weak, it's what his cuts from the Iron Throne are symbolising. The Throne was built by Aegon the Conqueror from the swords surrended by his enemies and is intended to be uncomfortable as "a king should never sit easy" (This version is far closer to the monstrosity described in the books than the GoT version) and it is said in the novels that being cut by the Throne is akin to the Throne rejecting the King, one early King, Maegor the Cruel, was even killed on/by the Throne with slashes down his arms and a blade protruding out under his chin from the back of his neck.

This is intentional. Caraxes, Daemon's dragon, is described as being red, huge and lean, and is also nicknamed "the Blood Wyrm". It's supposed to be this funky looking thing compared to the other dragons, which to me have looked fine in the show so far.

I think you have misread my comments. They were not based on the description as per the story but more with the acting, in a similar way with Ifans. I'm not taken with either character the way they're being portrayed, especially Ifans. I don't find them believable enough if that makes sense? 

As for the CGI, good point about the description of Daemons dragon so I can see that. 

I'm just not sold on it yet and my points aren't necessarily criticisms but more observations. I just want more depth, more intrigue, more immersion into the characters. Even watching episode 3, at first I wondered what was going on, thinking I had somehow missed an episode the way that time had elapsed. We'll see how it goes, I could be raving about it soon enough. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, avfc1982am said:

Agree with you. It's not as bad as the LOTR rubbish, but it's still pretty disappointing. The first few series of GoT were brilliant, let down big time by the final series. This is let down by just being a bit rubbish. Crap CGI, and just not much going on. The characters are mostly boring and have none of the brilliance and variety that made GoT so fantastic. Me and the missus have started a second watch of GoT from the start, and watching that after this is like watching The Godfather after an episode of Crossroads.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Risso said:

Agree with you. It's not as bad as the LOTR rubbish, but it's still pretty disappointing. The first few series of GoT were brilliant, let down big time by the final series. This is let down by just being a bit rubbish. Crap CGI, and just not much going on. The characters are mostly boring and have none of the brilliance and variety that made GoT so fantastic. Me and the missus have started a second watch of GoT from the start, and watching that after this is like watching The Godfather after an episode of Crossroads.

I think what stood GOT out early were the characters. The jump from one family to the next, allowing you to understand the characters, personalities and back stories. Everyone had characters to love and hate and it's the reason why you become gripped in the overall story. Without this the story can be detailed, true and well put together but if the characters aren't immersive enough the show will fall over. It's early doors but it's got a long way to go before it gets my thumbs up.  

I was guilty of thinking GoT was a bit slow in the first series, but the way it develops the Starks, the Lannisters and the Dolthraki is brilliant. Plus it is rammed with superb characters, whether you hate them or loathe them. Tyrion, Cersei, Littlefinger, Jorah, all brilliant.  Early doors indeed, but so far it just looks like a very cheap copyof GoT.

Disagree with the negative comments. Think it's great. Paddy Considine is brilliant.

Only thing letting it down is the CGI and some of the sets. Acting is generally better than GoT and we're only 3 episodes in and plot seems pretty good to me so far. Daemon surviving a billion arrows being fired at him was a bit farfetched, but it's GoT not Bravo Two Zero.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, KentVillan said:

Disagree with the negative comments. Think it's great. Paddy Considine is brilliant.

Only thing letting it down is the CGI and some of the sets. Acting is generally better than GoT and we're only 3 episodes in and plot seems pretty good to me so far. Daemon surviving a billion arrows being fired at him was a bit farfetched, but it's GoT not Bravo Two Zero.

Yeah ill never understand the arrows bit. Its literally impossible for that to happen

8 hours ago, KentVillan said:

I couldn't disagree more about the acting. Considine is just about my favourite actor ever, but I think he's poor in this.

Â