Game of Thrones - House of the Dragon

Demitri_C

On 04/09/2022 at 13:57, Straggler said:

A very good point. That said, for me any scene that has Tyrian and Bron together is TV gold as far as I'm concerned. Also a big shout out for Lena Headey who is great in everything.

Charles Dance is absolutely perfect for Tywin, as you say every scene is gold. I think him spending time with Arya might be some of his best bits. Bron becomes a bit of repetitive parody towards the end. 

Rhys Ifans looks to be the only one with the character to match his acting chops for something similar to the best of GOT. 

Matt Smith and Paddy Considine certainly can do it. 

This weeks episode has upped the tempo and the scheming, looking forward to it all falling apart hopefully skewing toward the politics over action, the dragons provide enough action. 

Edited by Nicho
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, Brumerican said:

Another great episode. That's 3 in a row .

Matt Smith must have loved filming that.

Question from the most recent episode 3 which includes spoilers so don't read if you haven't watched it.

Spoiler

It's been confirmed that the crabfeeder guy has greyscale and that's why his face e.t.c is falling off.

You then see Matt Smith covered in his blood and dragging his body off at the end wearing no gloves and it's spread by touch.

Does this mean he's now infected?

Edited by AshVilla

Just now, AshVilla said:

Question from the most recent episode 3 which includes spoilers so don't read if you haven't watched it.

Hide contents

It's been confirmed that the crabfeeder guy has greyscale and that's why his face e.t.c is falling off.

You then see Matt Smith dragging his body off at the end wearing no gloves and it's spread by touch.

Does this mean he's now infected and screwed?

I think it's pretty clear that he washed his hands whilst singing Happy Birthday immediately after social distancing had been compromised.

• Haha 1

So I'm hearing this show isn't bad at all and is worth having a look?

S7/8 of GoT did kill any enthusiasm most people had for this world so I feel this show is standing on its own a bit in trying to get fans back or viewers. 

4 hours ago, villarule123 said:

Paddy Considine is bloody good in this. Absolutely nailing the role of Viserys. 

I can't decide if he's good in this or miscast. 

Spoiler

I know he's supposed to convey weakness and he is, but there's something about his bearing that seems out of place in the world of GoT...

Edited by maqroll

1 hour ago, CVByrne said:

S7/8 of GoT did kill any enthusiasm most people had for this world so I feel this show is standing on its own a bit in trying to get fans back or viewers. 

It's nowhere near as compelling as GoT.

The characters are a bit dull, the dialogue is a bit flat, and the plot is struggling to take off. Lots of talking, but the intrigue doesn't quite justify it. 

That said, it is still good enough that I'll keep watching.

• Thanks 1

Spoiler

There is something sort of irritating that the bad guys are just randos with weapons far away from Kings Landing. Why even bother with them? There needs to be something more critical than these crab fellas. They clearly aren't the existential threat that the White Walkers were, or the Dothraki, for that matter. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, maqroll said:
  Hide contents

There is something sort of irritating that the bad guys are just randos with weapons far away from Kings Landing. Why even bother with them? There needs to be something more critical than these crab fellas. They clearly aren't the existential threat that the White Walkers were, or the Dothraki, for that matter. 

https://www.youtube.com/c/ThinkStory/videos

This guy's youtube channel explains it well.

15 minutes ago, maqroll said:

It's nowhere near as compelling as GoT.

The characters are a bit dull, the dialogue is a bit flat, and the plot is struggling to take off. Lots of talking, but the intrigue doesn't quite justify it. 

That said, it is still good enough that I'll keep watching.

Thanks, you suggest I just wait until all episodes are out and potentially binge it?

1 hour ago, maqroll said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Without giving away too much (I'll put it in a spoiler even though I'm not sure how much it spoils)

Spoiler

this story is building up over about a 10 ish year period (maybe a bit more) to something mentioned in the book series and in more detail in the Fire & Blood novel which is a history book about the Targaryans.

Spoiler

It's called the Dance of Dragons and it's a bloody succession war following the death of Viserys I, which essentially results in the eventual extinction of Dragons (as seen in the time period of GoT and the novels until Dany's are born) as Dragonriders fight each other, leaving few Dragons left. After this war only one more Dragon is born in Westeros but it is stunted, sickly and dies young.

If they do it justification (and with GRRM involved I'm sure they will) it will be a slow burner but with a big pay off.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, CVByrne said:

Brilliant 3 episodes so far… very similar to S1 of GOT.   All about the characters and how they are all positioning themselves for a lot of fighting over the Iron Throne.

Â