Game of Thrones - House of the Dragon

Demitri_C

3 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Watched the first episode last night. It was ok. Started poorly and got better. Considine did a lot of the heavy lifting as he often does. I'll watch it, but like many others, with how GoT finished so terribly I'm struggling to muster much enthusiasm for this.

It doesn't matter all that much but the effects look awful in this. The dragon looked incredibly fake and most of the scenery looks like a cartoon

Totally agree. We've started watching Game of thrones again and the first few episodes of that are much grittier looking and realistic. The scenery in this looks like something from a Care Bears movie. It reminds me of when you get a proper big budget Holywood film, then by the time it gets to the 4th straight to TV installment, the budget is a lot smaller.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Risso said:

Totally agree. We've started watching Game of thrones again and the first few episodes of that are much grittier looking and realistic. The scenery in this looks like something from a Care Bears movie. It reminds me of when you get a proper big budget Holywood film, then by the time it gets to the 4th straight to TV installment, the budget is a lot smaller.

Yep. Classic trying to do slightly too much with the budget theyve been give 

The scenery may be a little uncanny but the dialogue, writing and acting is all a lot better than the GOT collapse.   You can tell GRRM is way more hands on .

Another plus point is that this entire story is already finished so should make sense.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Brumerican said:

The scenery may be a little uncanny but the dialogue, writing and acting is all a lot better than the GOT collapse.   You can tell GRRM is way more hands on .

Another plus point is that this entire story is already finished so should make sense.

didnt even notice to be honest about the scenery. I was just more gripped with the storyline and charchters  thought it was very good

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ender4 said:

What do you mean by uncanny?

uncanny
/ʌnˈkani/

adjective

1. strange or mysterious, especially in an unsettling way.

It lacks the realism of the GOT location sets somehow which isn't necessarily a bad thing but when they swing from a set to CGI it's very noticeable.  
    It's still a better 2 hours than anything  Walt Marvel has pumped out since they bought the world.

2 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

didnt even notice to be honest about the scenery. I was just more gripped with the storyline and charchters  thought it was very good

I also thought it was very good which is is why I complimented the writing, dialogue, acting and GRRM being more involved.

That's 4 positives I pointed out and a minor observation about the cinematography .   I think the word uncanny is very much a British thing. It's not necessarily negative.

I’ve enjoyed the first two episodes. Think the acting is generally better - original GoT had a few dud actors, especially in earlier series. Doesn’t feel as Nuts / FHM as early GoT either.

Agree on the effects being a bit dodgy. Doesn’t really spoil the show but it does look shit.

11 hours ago, KentVillan said:

I’ve enjoyed the first two episodes. Think the acting is generally better - original GoT had a few dud actors, especially in earlier series. Doesn’t feel as Nuts / FHM as early GoT either.

Agree on the effects being a bit dodgy. Doesn’t really spoil the show but it does look shit.

The acting has been suprsingly really good. I really like the main characters they are very enjoyable. I can see some brutal twists coming up

11 hours ago, KentVillan said:

Who do you think was a weak actor in GoT? I know the show didn't quite hit its stride in the first season but I thought the acting was one area where the show was pretty strong, personally.

5 minutes ago, Panto_Villan said:

Who do you think was a weak actor in GoT? I know the show didn't quite hit its stride in the first season but I thought the acting was one area where the show was pretty strong, personally.

Sansa, Daenerys, Bran Stark… maybe even Jon Snow and Jaime Lannister… I thought all those actors got a bit lucky getting such huge roles? Still loved their characters but don’t think any of those actors would have been A list without GoT blowing up like it did.

You’re right though, plenty of great performances, too - Ned, Tyrion, etc.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, KentVillan said:

Sansa, Daenerys, Bran Stark… maybe even Jon Snow and Jaime Lannister… I thought all those actors got a bit lucky getting such huge roles? Still loved their characters but don’t think any of those actors would have been A list without GoT blowing up like it did.

You’re right though, plenty of great performances, too - Ned, Tyrion, etc.

Yeah, come to think of it, you're probably right about most of them. I think the guy who played Jaime was good, and Sansa was passable given her age and how annoying her actual character is (although Joffrey is a great example of how good the really good child actors can actually be), but I was never really convinced by Emilia Clarke and Kit Harrington in particular. I think I just forgot because they became such big stars and they all improved a bit with time.

There's so many great characters played by great actors, especially in the early seasons, that the bad ones kinda just fade into the background.

Anyway, I'm off to youtube to watch a Tywin Lannister highlight reel...

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Panto_Villan said:

I thought sansa stark was not  a great actress . Also little finger

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

I thought the best actors from GOT was geoffrey and ramsey bolton.

You absolute detest them both makes you realise how invested and how well they played their roles

A very good point. That said, for me any scene that has Tyrian and Bron together is TV gold as far as I'm concerned. Also a big shout out for Lena Headey who is great in everything.

Â