Game of Thrones - House of the Dragon

Demitri_C

Shh

Ite.

Almost as boring as RoP.

Spoiler

The wedding violence was their attempt at Red Wedding level shock and horror, but all it was was two guys fighting...and the reason was really contrived. When Alicent entered the throne room so dramatically, I was expecting fireworks, but all she did was quietly sit down. It was symbolic of the show in general. A lot of hype and anticipation for something that never happens. 

All this show is poorly written palace intrigue with cool costumes and an occasional dragon flying around. 

Edited by maqroll
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, maqroll said:

Shh

Ite.

Almost as boring as RoP.

Hide contents

The wedding violence was their attempt at Red Wedding level shock and horror, but all it was was two guys fighting...and the reason was really contrived. When Alicent entered the throne room so dramatically, I was expecting fireworks, but all she did was quietly sit down. It was symbolic of the show in general. A lot of hype and anticipation for something that never happens. 

All this show is poorly written palace intrigue with cool costumes and an occasional dragon flying around. 

Spoiler

It's going to go to absolute shit soon. They have to set up the characters first so it isn't just war from the offset without any (non-Book reader) viewers having no clue what's going on.

Her entering the throne room wearing green was hugely powerful. More so that it just kicking off when she entered.

I won't say much more because it'll get too close to the sun with regards to book spoilers. In terms of book vs TV so far, it's outstanding. Remember it's based on a 'history book' based on fictional sources, and the show is attempting to be a reality of what actually happened.

• Like 1

On 14/09/2022 at 14:29, Jareth said:

I don't mind this series but there's a massive white walker hole in it 

yeah, i've been feeling that as well.  

Whilst the internal fighting for the throne goes on, we need a big external threat as well.   At the moment, we don't have any big villian, just family squabbles.

• Like 1

On 19/09/2022 at 09:52, theunderstudy said:

Weddings in Westeros are straight-up bad ideas

True, but i thought this was poorly done. 

When the queen came in wearing that green dress, i thought that was it, something big was going to happen. Instead 2 crossed lovers had a jealously fight and 1 killed the other. It felt like a let down. 

Compare that to the Red Wedding or the Purple Wedding (Joffrey) or even the big scenes in S1 of GOT.   

This just feels weak now.

15 minutes ago, ender4 said:

True, but i thought this was poorly done. 

When the queen came in wearing that green dress, i thought that was it, something big was going to happen. Instead 2 crossed lovers had a jealously fight and 1 killed the other. It felt like a let down. 

Compare that to the Red Wedding or the Purple Wedding (Joffrey) or even the big scenes in S1 of GOT.   

This just feels weak now.

It's obviously a huge setup for what's to come. They're gonna blow everything up mid season? Not every GoT wedding has to be Red or Purple. I think when we get to the end of S1, we'll look back at this as a huge moment. The moment when Alicent changes from nervous child wife to political titan.

Edited by StefanAVFC

On 01/08/2022 at 20:55, villarule123 said:

The book for this show is like GoT on steroids, if the script is early GoT quality then it'll be amazing.

Just reading back, 100% agree with this.

Minor book spoiler

Spoiler

It makes Game of Thrones look like some squabbles between friends.

15 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

It's obviously a huge setup for what's to come. They're gonna blow everything up mid season? Not every GoT wedding has to be Red or Purple. I think when we get to the end of S1, we'll look back at this as a huge moment. The moment when Alicent changes from nervous child wife to political titan.

Yes, but it feels like they've been setting up for 5 episodes now with not much actually happening.  

Compare to the first 5 episodes of GOT where so much had happened already even though the 'big' scenes hadn't come yet.

I'm sure it'll get better though, i'm still enjoying it but just not to the level of GOT S1.

3 minutes ago, ender4 said:

Yes, but it feels like they've been setting up for 5 episodes now with not much actually happening.  

Compare to the first 5 episodes of GOT where so much had happened already even though the 'big' scenes hadn't come yet.

I'm sure it'll get better though, i'm still enjoying it but just not to the level of GOT S1.

Not sure if you've seen the trailer for next episode, it's not really a spoiler but don't read if you're really wanting to remain completely unspoiled (ie, don't even watch trailers - as the trailer 'spoils' what I wrote below.)

But

Spoiler

Next episode we have a 10 year time jump, so a lot of the build up from THAT moment will have happened off screen and now we'll be a LOT further along.

Edited by StefanAVFC

1 minute ago, StefanAVFC said:

Not sure if you've seen the trailer for next episode, it's not really a spoiler but don't read if you're really wanting to remain completely unspoiled (ie, don't even watch trailers - as the trailer 'spoils' what I wrote below.)

But

Reveal hidden contents

Next episode we have a 10 year time jump, so a lot of the build up from THAT moment will have happened off screen and now we'll be a LOT further along.

Yeah, i don't watch trailers for next episodes... but i've just read your hidden comment and it'll be interesting how they deal with that. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Good episode wondering whats happening to the king as he seem to be very ill. He probably be killed off before or end of S1

I think he might have just died at the end of that episode.  No way is making past season 1 though. 

edit:  I’m speculating, no prior book knowledge 

Edited by Wainy316

2 hours ago, Wainy316 said:
Spoiler

I think he might have just died at the end of that episode.  No way is making past season 1 though. 

edit:  I’m speculating, no prior book knowledge 

I’d probably spoiler that. Can accidentally click on the thread before you’ve caught up.

Very much enjoying the show so far, nice build up and introduction.

Tricky episode, a lot to get through but with a time skip I think casual watchers will lose a bit of who's who.

However, I get the logic. 80% of the story is the succession situation so I get that they want to get there as quickly as possible.

Spoiler

Aegon is a little word removed and I love it

Â