Game of Thrones - House of the Dragon

Demitri_C

3 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

Tricky episode, a lot to get through but with a time skip I think casual watchers will lose a bit of who's who.

However, I get the logic. 80% of the story is the succession situation so I get that they want to get there as quickly as possible.

Reveal hidden contents

Aegon is a little word removed and I love it

You could've told me it was a bank holiday today

• Haha 1

That was a bit short and harsh, there are messy elements resulting from the time jump but I don't think the entire show is a mess at all.

They needed to jump at some point, and I guess they had a few choices.

1) do an entire season with younger actresses and more smaller jumps, but tbh from the book, nothing really happens in the earlier years. They already fleshed it out a lot (the crabfeeder storyline is like 4 sentences in the book, for example)

2) Do a 5 year jump, then another, to ease us into the new timeline. This would help with introducing Harwin as Rhaenyra's lover (which I admit was incredibly jarring, we'd met him maybe 3 times and suddenly he's this big character) but again, there isn't enough in the source material. The book introduces Harwin as a potential father out of the blue too.

3) How they did it - I think it's the best way. Option 1 would have been way too slow with made up storylines, and after the mess of GoT season 8, they really need to get to the meat and bones of this story asap. The 'dance' itself is 80% of the story and we aren't there yet. 

I am personally really enjoying it, but I know what happens and am loving a lot of the Easter eggs they're including. A big issue they've got is that the book it's based on isn't a novel. It's a fake history book told from multiple sources. So the show has to choose the version that's most realistic or completely invent one. There are many, many important events that'll take place that don't have an objective truth to how they happen, so it'll be interesting to see which way they go.

Olivia Cooke is amazing so far as Alicent, but again, it's so jarring to see her so bitter after how the young her was played, but 10 years has passed in the world, and that bitterness would have grown. Now we're in the new timeline 

Spoiler

Until another jump at the end of next episode :D 

it'll slow down massively. The entire succession crisis is only around 2 years IIRC. And until now we've covered 15 years.

Edited by StefanAVFC
  • Like 1

Mmm.... It isn't just the timelapses that are a little meh but also the CGI which appear cartoony. I noticed several times the background looked off and you could see the lines around characters in certain scenes. Especially when Daemon witnesses his wife top herself, it just looked whack.  It's not in the same zone at GOT in my opinion. What set GOT apart other that the story was the backstory around the characters. If you are going to start changing characters and jumping time, then do it when starting a new season with notification on the time elapsed or brief description. I agree with those that think the show is coming across pretty messy and rushed.     

If they switch off now because of time jumps, then they're daft because the time jumps are nearly over. We have our 'main' cast now.

As for the CGI, I hope they have a bigger budget for S2 because they're gonna need more CGI as we meet more dragons. I agree it's not the best. Even the shots on boats look a bit.. off.

Edited by StefanAVFC

1 hour ago, StefanAVFC said:

If they switch off now because of time jumps, then they're daft because the time jumps are nearly over. We have our 'main' cast now.

As for the CGI, I hope they have a bigger budget for S2 because they're gonna need more CGI as we meet more dragons. I agree it's not the best. Even the shots on boats look a bit.. off.

The time jumps are annoying but not a deal breaker in and of themselves. It's also the endless talking scenes about succession. It's just boring. I don't care who the next ruler of Westeros is because I'm not invested in the stakes and none of the characters are particularly likeable or compelling. 

There's new talk of a looming fight somewhere, but again, the stakes are dubious. If anything I'd be rooting for this faraway force to come annihilate Kings Landing altogether!

• Like 1

I think the show has done a good job of setting the stage for the future seasons. So many threads and schemes and possibly alliances that can keep people entertained. 

The writing is very good as is the acting. Those are two things absent from so many other shows these days. As I've said before, very experienced show runners, the author of the books adapting it for screen and backed by a very experienced company in HBO. 

It's made look even better as it's facing off against the exact opposite with Rings of Power. Zero experienced show runners, new in the big TV shows a company in Amazon, no author to adapt to screen and an antagonism to the fans of the books. 

House of the Dragon is a good show. It's no early season Thrones and is a bit nostalgic rather than feeling original too. It's a prequel after all. 

• Like 2

It's better than I thought it was going to be but my expectations were pretty much on the floor. It's early days but I don't really find myself invested in any of the characters. I don't think there's a really a single likeable character as of yet. I dunno, needs more time to tell the full story but I'd give it a meh out of 10 so far. 

Its all meh. Game of Thrones had its day, it was great for the first 5 or so seasons and, like any show, its very hard to sustain that level. This new series is just a dumbed down version to try to generate more money for HBO. Meh.

Edited by villa89

56 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Honestly, it's kind of the point :D They all suck.

Yeah, but doesn't make for very interesting viewing because the characters themselves aren't very interesting. Whereas a show such as Succession has completely sucky characters, but they have personality, motives, humour and ambition. Any of the characters in HOTD could get killed off and I genuinely wouldn't care because the show hasn't given me no reason to. As I said, early days, maybe it will get better as it goes on. 

Edited by PieFacE
  • Like 2

I mean all of them are scumbags in their own way, that's the point. Succession is the same, you know they're all words removed but it's still fun to watch.

Some "classic GoT" moments like

Spoiler

Larys burning his brother and father alive just to get some props from the Queen

I didn’t like the episode that much. It was confusing, messy and still nothing really happening, just chess pieces moving round like the previous 5 episodes.

The big problem is that all the characters are boring. The new Rheanyra is worse than the kid version who was at least fun and interesting.

I also have questions…

Spoiler

Why did one of the Hand’s sons kill him and his brother? Is that killer brother a lover of the Queen?

Spoiler

Why did Damon’s wife kill herself rather than at least saving her baby if she was going to die in childbirth?

Spoiler

Why doesn’t one of Alicent’s sons have a dragon?

Spoiler

How come the knight who killed the gay lover at the wedding last episode is still alive and in charge of training? I thought he would have been hung?

Edited by ender4

Â