Game of Thrones - House of the Dragon

Demitri_C

1 hour ago, ender4 said:

I didn’t like the episode that much. It was confusing, messy and still nothing really happening, just chess pieces moving round like the previous 5 episodes.

The big problem is that all the characters are boring. The new Rheanyra is worse than the kid version who was at least fun and interesting.

I also have questions…

Hide contents

Why did one of the Hand’s sons kill him and his brother? Is that killer brother a lover of the Queen?

Hide contents

Why did Damon’s wife kill herself rather than at least saving her baby if she was going to die in childbirth?

Hide contents

Why doesn’t one of Alicent’s sons have a dragon?

Hide contents

How come the knight who killed the gay lover at the wedding last episode is still alive and in charge of training? I thought he would have been hung?

Spoiler

Power and influence. He inherits Ed Harrenhal now too. Not too spoilery I hope but in the books no one knows his true intentions. 

it isn’t clear if she will survive if I’m honest. Yes they give the option to cut her open but it isn’t suggested she’ll survive. It’s again changed from the book where she gives birth to a stillborn, is gravely injured and wants to ride Vhagar one time and dies 

sometimes dragon eggs just don’t hatch. Laena says to her daughter in the episode that 50% don’t (including her daughter’s) and in that case, they either get another egg or claim a dragon whose rider died. 

this is a bit of a plot point that probably could have done with some fleshing out. My head canon is that as a kings guard. he can do whatever he needs to do to protect the royal family; the guy had a knife. He’s not just a knight. He’s one of the 7 most famous knights in Westeros. We also see Alicent save him at the end of episode 5 so I imagine she sorted him out

I watched the first episode of GoT last night to compare. 

They stuffed so much into that episode. 

The white walkers, wildlings,, the wall, Winterfell, Kings Landing, Essos,  and the three major plot lines. 

The sheer number of well fleshed out characters introduced. I'd forgotten Jorah was in the episode..

I might have to watch the next one 😆 

**** yeah, best episode so far. Only happens across 1 day, loads of plot movement, action, great performances. A bit dark in places but excellent.

Spoiler

Alicent's finally snapped. Can't stand the greens. However, Aemond becoming the absolute arsehole he's born to be is satisfying.

Last time jump now and then gloves are off. Can't wait.

Edited by StefanAVFC

It does feel like it's moving a bit too quickly now. Like the season is just time jumps to all the key moments from a much longer story. I think this whole season is a setting the scene for all the future seasons. It's still good though

Aemond is such a little rocket polisher. 

Spoiler

Reckon Viserys will bite it in the penultimate episode, GoT loved a good old wham episode 9 (Blackwater, Rains of Castamere) and then all hell properly breaks loose

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CVByrne said:

It does feel like it's moving a bit too quickly now. Like the season is just time jumps to all the key moments from a much longer story. I think this whole season is a setting the scene for all the future seasons. It's still good though

The issue is, the book mostly covers the conflict that happens later, and the earlier stuff is like 1 or 2 sentences. They've done incredibly well to get this much out of what is written tbh. Most of this episode isn't from the book, just the key bits.

7 minutes ago, theunderstudy said:

Aemond is such a little rocket polisher. 

I'm conflicted, and I say that as no fan of the Green side. 

He was bullied earlier (and it's easy to presume it wasn't an isolated incident) then he was ganged up on 4 to 1. The other kids started the violence. Rhaena had no right to Vhagar other than her being her mother's dragon, and Aemond (a dragonrider with no dragon also) had every right to claim her too. There's all sorts of dragon claiming ****-ery in the lore. Melys (Rhaenys's dragon) was ridden by Viserys and Daemon's mother for example. The timing, admittedly, was shit but he was a teenager and didn't have a dragon yet. If Vhagar wanted to reject him, she'd have just burned him.

Best Aemond bit though:

juwawcqagir91.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&a

Edited by StefanAVFC

9 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Im lost with alot of the names too

I think they have royally messed this up after a promising start

Seeing the exact opposite on the main communities. People thought it started very slowly and now is getting better and better 🤷🏻

which names are confusing? 

Everything so far is just a big set up for the main plot of the show, the Dance of the Dragons. The last time skip will be next week and then the actors will be set in stone for the rest of the show. I'm actually impressed how well they've dealt with the time skips, I thought a lot of the casual fans would lose interest or get confused, which hasn't happened with most people. 

Everything will become clear after next week's episode, and I think it'll keep getting better from there. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

I'm conflicted, and I say that as no fan of the Green side. 

He was bullied earlier (and it's easy to presume it wasn't an isolated incident) then he was ganged up on 4 to 1. The other kids started the violence. Rhaena had no right to Vhagar other than her being her mother's dragon, and Aemond (a dragonrider with no dragon also) had every right to claim her too. There's all sorts of dragon claiming ****-ery in the lore. Melys (Rhaenys's dragon) was ridden by Viserys and Daemon's mother for example. The timing, admittedly, was shit but he was a teenager and didn't have a dragon yet. If Vhagar wanted to reject him, she'd have just burned him.

Best Aemond bit though:

juwawcqagir91.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&a

I mean Aegon is leading the charge with the bullying to be fair. Aemond is just a bit of a sour prick. But given that trying to beat Jace's head in with a rock is like one of the nicest things he'll do.... can't wait for it to spiral into the Dance

• Like 1

Also the timeskips are so you can empathise with the characters. It's a bit like if we'd seen the start of Cersei's life and how her resentment of Robert started with his obsession with (the long dead) Lyanna or that she'd been driven to hatred of Tyrion by not only him killing their mother when he was born but by Maggy the Frogs prophecy alluding to him maybe being the cause of her doom. Tl;dr its basically so we can humanise Allicent and Rhaenyra and understand why they've got to this point and why they're like they are. Like the Hightower generational abuse from Otto to Allicent and then Allicent doing the same to Aegon and Aemond

I can't post in this thread as too many people have read the books and thus always unintended spoilers going on. 

Hope everyone enjoys it. It's earned its way in winning people back to watching GoT

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

I can't post in this thread as too many people have read the books and thus always unintended spoilers going on. 

Hope everyone enjoys it. It's earned its way in winning people back to watching GoT

The like was for the 2nd line, not for the spoilers, which I am probably accidently guilty of, my bad.

On 03/10/2022 at 19:30, Demitri_C said:

Im lost with alot of the names too

Yes, me too. Especially the kids names.

Alicent’s 2 kids - Aegon and Aemond - which is which?

Rheanyra 2 boys names?  

Damon’s 2 daughters names?

Was there someone called Joffrey somewhere earlier in the season? Where is he gone?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, villa89 said:

Remember earlier in this thread when I said it was Meh, its worse than that to be honest. It's like watching a soap with the odd flash of pretty meaningless violence/incest.

I gave up about episode six, just tedious....wasn't really enjoying it much up to then but stuck with it.

9 hours ago, ender4 said:

SWITCH ON THE LIGHTS!!

A common way to overcome shoddy production values, make it so dark you can't see anything. Also why does everyone whisper all the time? I have to have the volume on blast mode to hear anything. 

Â