Parenting Corner: The joys and trials of raising little Villans

Marka Ragnos

2 hours ago, mjmooney said:

EDIT: Although, unlike America, I know of no British schools that actually have the word 'high' in their official name. 

As I posted above, mine did.  Think it changed about 10 years ago.

6 minutes ago, VILLAMARV said:

I was all geared up for going to Comprehensive but then we moved and I went to a High School. 

incidentally my school in da Wales has dropped the 'High' and merged with a school 10 miles away and changed their names and all sorts.

Looks like my post above is wrong, then. 

29 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Filip Józef Wilson born 22:07 3rd September. Mum and baby are doing brilliantly, welcome another little Villan to the world 😀

03bac6f9-24e6-45df-837f-4526e1f8ac36.jpeg

Congrats Stefan and Mrs Stefan.

Not gonna lie, a little disappointed not to see Dave in the name somewhere.

• Like 1

Didn't know this thread existed!

Took my 1.5 to Ireland for wedding+holidays. Had panic thinking nights about the whole thing. 4 cities - coach and vans in between them - 2 nights per city. Don't know why I agreed to the whole thing.

I would say it sucked overall - but interestingly enough it was more about me wanting to throttle the in-laws more than the kid. He did great and had no problem napping in the stroller while we got a pint.

Congrats @StefanAVFC

8 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Primary school is 5-11
Secondary School is 11-16
6th Form/College is 16-18

I didn't realise anywhere in England did it any differently!

I’ll do it in school years

First school is 

nursery/preschool 

Reception 

Years 1-4

I think you begin reception at 4, you leave first school at 9. I’m bit hazy on nursery/reception.

Middle school is

Year 5-8 (so ages 9-13).

High school is 

Year 9-13 (ages 13-18)

Year 11 is GCSEs, some may leave at that point, but if not you move on to -

Year 12-13 A Levels (I think AS Levels began the year after I left).

It’s all the same building(s), but we had a sixth form sort of break out room. 

Just checked, can confirm that my old high school still calls itself a high school.

My daughter’s school has things like Year 3/4 and Year 5/6, as well as Year 3, Year 4 etc etc. I don’t really know what’s going on there. I think it’s done deliberately to confuse me.

• Like 1

Congrats, @StefanAVFC. So happy for you, mate. 

The more serious I get with my new GF, the more I realise I’m gonna have to do all of this again. Or rather, I get more and more certain that I want to do all of this again. Crazy. 

• Like 3

On 05/09/2023 at 02:21, mjmooney said:

British - American systems compared: 

Screenshot_2023-09-05-10-18-12-83_965bbf4d18d205f782c6b8409c5773a4.jpg

There’s some variability in how they divide things up in the US.

In the olden days before my time, there Grammar or Grade School from 1st through 8th grade, then High School.

Where I went to school it was Elementary School (official title but also known as grade school) Kindergarten through 6th grade, Junior High 7-9 and High School 10-12.

They later switched to what I think is most common now:  K-5 is Elementary, 6-8 is Middle School and 9-12 High School.

But our local school district has K-6 Elementary, 7-8 Intermediate School and 9-12 High School.

• Thanks 1

School system & compulsory education

thats what im looking at

my daughter plays with play doh and colouring books until she's 6, then primary school, then they start shaping you depending on your intelligence and what you want to do (my wife for example went to the berufsschule and studied legal secretary for 3 years, there's at least 3 types o secretary training that i know of)

they then finish uni really late, put a huge emphasis on a masters degree, wanderlust and then because its free a lot of changing courses, most of my friends here who went to uni didn't get their first job until they were in their 30s, got a mate who is an engineer at Hilti in their R&D department, got a phd and all sorts, started work at 34, has a knock on impact on my career because what you'll find here is that "senior" positions are taken up by people 15-20 years older than in the UK

On 05/09/2023 at 11:25, Stevo985 said:

I've never seen "high school" used in England more than in this thread. Thought that was almost exclusively a US term

I'm the complete opposite, I went to a High School and thought the term was used everywhere 

Â