Rubbish claims to fame

GarethRDR

I'm mentioned in Richard Whitehead's Villa book "Children Of The Revolution".

Also been on telly for7 seconds selling fanzines at Villa Park, some retarded long-banned asswipe who used to post on this site (til I found a way to get him banned) always thought they were programmes, and called me "The Programme Seller".

man that was a slur that took decades to live down.

• Like 1

I've been blown a kiss by Darren Anderton. 

I saw Keith Chegwin down the Basingstoke Bowlplex one time.

Think those are my most rubbish ones.  My "Lego with Kasper Schmeichel" anecdote used to be my favourite rubbish story to tell people but then he had to go and be a half-decent goalie and win the league so kinda takes a shine off the shiteness, sadly.

Wife's got a corking one; her third cousin by adoption is Donna Langley.  There's a photo of her holding my wife as a baby, and her adoptive parents were at our wedding.

Oh shit, one more truly terrific/rubbish one for me; we were at a friend's wedding (in the same wedding venue that we'd ultimately pick for ours a few years later) and the kid who played James in the 90's James & The Giant Peach film was there, had gone to college with the bride or something like that.  He cut a mean move on the dancefloor.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

I had to look after one of Ed Sheeran’s guitars for a couple of days.

Not very careful of him to leave guitars lying about. He'll be driving at 90 on country lanes next, irresponsible git. 

I met Paul Merson at a networking event a Villa Park. 

A bloke called Peter Brookes who I had worked with about 20 years earlier was also there, he was also a Villa Fan so we both had our photo taken with Merse. 

When the photo came through I showed it to a mate at work who is a massive football fan thinking he would be impressed. 

He said "Is that you with Peter Brookes? What were you doing with him?" 

Edited by sidcow

13 hours ago, rjw63 said:

Also been on telly for7 seconds selling fanzines at Villa Park, some retarded long-banned asswipe who used to post on this site (til I found a way to get him banned) always thought they were programmes, and called me "The Programme Seller".

So.. Programme Seller, who was this person?

:trollface:

• Haha 3

13 hours ago, rjw63 said:

One News and Record please. Can you tell me where the Holte End is ?

• Haha 2

I met Paul Van Dyk once after a six hour set at Gatecrasher, had a chat with him outside and he gave me his last smint. 

One I used to tell people (prior to him being outed as a massive nonce) was that I once met Jimmy Savile at Leeds Love Parade. Me and my mates were sat doing lines off a notebook when he walked past wearing a superman suit. I jumped up and shouted “oi Jimmy! I wrote to, I wanted to join the army for the day, you never fixed it for me you tw@t!” He just looked at me and said sorry. 

All I can say is 8 year old IYR, had a lucky escape! 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

So.. Programme Seller, who was this person?

:trollface:

Name escapes me without trawling archives but he had Obama as his avatar and was a bit of a racist, and a sexist

4 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

Only if yours is "ginger hottie".

You’ve done enough already you git. It’s because of you I’ve had the Strawberry Blonde one for a decade now! 🤣

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, It's Your Round said:

I met Paul Van Dyk once after a six hour set at Gatecrasher, had a chat with him outside and he gave me his last smint.

My worst 'meeting the DJ' experience was meeting Markus Schulz after he'd finished a set in a nightclub in the basement of a hotel outside Seoul (standard nightclub location, this). He agreed to be in a selfie with me, and my phone battery ran out between 'lifting it up and pulling a funny face' and 'actually pressing the button'.

(The best 'meeting the DJ' experience was meeting Jeff Mills briefly after a set at Sankey's 🤩)

• Like 1

Joan Collins once asked me to stand in The Alex theatre so she could get past me in order to get to the bar. 

It was a celebrity opening night for Anthony Newley Scrooge. I also got Ron Atkinsons autograph on the way out. It was only as he was walking away that I realised he was with Ozzie Ardiles who I had totally ignored. 

49 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Joan Collins once asked me to stand in The Alex theatre so she could get past me in order to get to the bar. 

It was a celebrity opening night for Anthony Newley Scrooge. I also got Ron Atkinsons autograph on the way out. It was only as he was walking away that I realised he was with Ozzie Ardiles who I had totally ignored. 

Reminds me of me as a young child on a trip to Bodymoor Heath maybe about 93/94. Excitedly getting autographs, I'd just got Doug Ellis's, then saw Nigel Spink. I wanted to be a keeper for a few years so was delighted. He was chatting to someone, who I completely blanked. It was only afterwards my Dad asked if I knew who it was? It was Peter Withe.

Â