Rubbish claims to fame

GarethRDR

On 17/07/2008 at 14:18, kingphil said:

I appeared on Central News (back in the 1980's) as Les Cusworth (Former Leicester Tigers player) was a teacher at our school.

A group of us were in the background throwing a rugby ball to each other, as he was getting interviewed.

I was only on the screen for about 3 seconds, but recorded it anyway.

How I missed this (from page 1) when I posted about 4 posts later is beyond me

This poster who it appears no longer posts here, was at school with me...

13 hours ago, bickster said:

Me and @blandyhad a conversation with Mark Draper in the toilets at the Winter Gardens in Blackpool. It was a gig but I forget which one, Bjork, Interpol, Editors, can't remember (my hunch is Interpol)

It was Gavin McCann, Bicks. Editors. 100 % certain. He lived near me and I used to see him out and about in the pub, wherever. Ditto Trevor Sinclair who’s just round the corner. A while back also Colin Hendry, bill beaumont, Rory Walker. Sometimes it’s like Stella Street round here.

• Haha 1

Speaking of Gavin McCann I used to chat to him a lot at a bespoke Vespa garage near Coleshill. 

The owner was working on my scooter and was in the process of building McCann a classic Vespa. Nice bloke.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, blandy said:

It was Gavin McCann, Bicks. Editors. 100 % certain. He lived near me and I used to see him out and about in the pub, wherever. Ditto Trevor Sinclair who’s just round the corner. A while back also Colin Hendry, bill beaumont, Rory Walker. Sometimes it’s like Stella Street round here.

Indeed you are correct, my bad

I saw Carol Vorderman's wedding from the top deck of a double-decker bus.

EDIT: Reading her Wikipedia page, I've obviously dreamed that up. I did see her - several people around me were yelling excitedly - but it can't have been a wedding. I just remember a fancy dress, but it can't have been a wedding dress. Maybe this should be in the boring thread. 

Edited by HanoiVillan

3 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

I saw Carol Vorderman's wedding from the top deck of a double-decker bus.

EDIT: Reading her Wikipedia page, I've obviously dreamed that up. I did see her - several people around me were yelling excitedly - but it can't have been a wedding. I just remember a fancy dress, but it can't have been a wedding dress. Maybe this should be in the boring thread. 

Nah, perfect choice ;)

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

Whether he did or not, or whether he rides that lift all day picking up middle aged blokes, who knows

there was someone else in the lift with you ?

9 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

It was Arfon Haines Davies, an ITV news presenter from the 80's.

Arfon-Haines-Davies.jpg

I love how this was a thing. Remember when it was normal to have a bloke sat at a desk show up and tell you what you just watched, what was on the telly later and what you were about to watch.

They'd even tell you the adverts were coming and that you had time to go and make a cup of tea :)

In fairness to Arfon when I think of TV announcers, I think of him. Such a soothing voice.

• Like 1

On 09/03/2019 at 10:12, theboyangel said:

Speaking of Gavin McCann I used to chat to him a lot at a bespoke Vespa garage near Coleshill. 

The owner was working on my scooter and was in the process of building McCann a classic Vespa. Nice bloke.

Have you got a classic scooter Mr angel ? If so which one is it. (I take it that it's a Vespa)

8 hours ago, VILLAMARV said:

I love how this was a thing. Remember when it was normal to have a bloke sat at a desk show up and tell you what you just watched, what was on the telly later and what you were about to watch.

They'd even tell you the adverts were coming and that you had time to go and make a cup of tea :)

In fairness to Arfon when I think of TV announcers, I think of him. Such a soothing voice.

We were only talking about this the other day. My daughter didn’t believe me that it was even a thing

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, bickster said:

We were only talking about this the other day. My daughter didn’t believe me that it was even a thing

Thats cause you also told her Santa wasn’t real and thus not to be trusted :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, VILLAMARV said:

BBC Yorkshire used to have a bloke called Brian Baines. He was usually on late night, before the shut down (when that was a thing), and would comment on the previous programme, what rubbish it was. Proper miserable bastard. I later found out why when I went for a lunchtime drink in a pub near the BBC called The Faversham. Basically he sat in there on the piss all afternoon, boring any unsuspecting drinker who made the mistake of catching his eye. I got the impression he hated his job and all his colleagues and the feeling was mutual.

• Haha 3

50 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Thats cause you also told her Santa wasn’t real and thus not to be trusted :)

Well actually in context, it was more of a “That’s a great idea, why has no-one thought of that before”

Â