Rubbish claims to fame

GarethRDR

5 hours ago, veloman said:

Have you got a classic scooter Mr angel ? If so which one is it. (I take it that it's a Vespa)

I used to have an old 70s Vespa PX125 originally imported from Rome.

it was ace, no indicators or mirrors. Just a stripped back scooter (just needed to update the wiring and battery)

however in the advent of children and moving to Devon I had to pass it on :( 

maybe one day, I shall revisit my scootering days!!! 

• Like 1

Excellent ! My first scooter was a Vespa Sportique 150 bought in 1963. At the time , The Brum Mods had Lambrettas and the London Mods had Vespas; so I swapped it and had a Lambretta GT 200. Gather they are worth a fortune now . Quite a flourishing scooter scene by me.

• Like 2

I was a signed up member of the Distant Echo Scooter Club.

What did I have?

A Morris Marina.

Basically, I was logistics and back up. Oh, and very very popular when it was raining. 

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, mjmooney said:

BBC Yorkshire used to have a bloke called Brian Baines. He was usually on late night, before the shut down (when that was a thing), and would comment on the previous programme, what rubbish it was. Proper miserable bastard. I later found out why when I went for a lunchtime drink in a pub near the BBC called The Faversham. Basically he sat in there on the piss all afternoon, boring any unsuspecting drinker who made the mistake of catching his eye. I got the impression he hated his job and all his colleagues and the feeling was mutual.

No wonder he was chosen to represent Yorkshire. 

• Like 1

D1PUt6GXgAELzRk.jpg

Recent find during attic clean up!

Sew on patch that's been on several jackets and trousers over the years - clearly the scene got quite grungy and less clean cut towards the end!

• Like 2

My brother, the racist skinhead was a scooter boy,  and is I imagine, we arent close so unsure what his mode of transport is. I recall he had lots of patches. I went to a scooter do in telford once and one of the other skinheads bled profusely onto my wife from a cut.

Unsure how to make it a claim to fame other than  near where the do was held was where I  once took the piss out of roy castle, he was very nice about it.

Yes, it really did start to splinter down in to all manner of weird little sub cults. I remember suedeheads being a thing, scooter boys, then casuals. It all got a bit crap.

Plus the music split in to shouty racist skin bands or white funk.

Unhappy at the time, but very quickly realised my Morris Marina was a golden ticket out of it all.

• 2 years later...

I have just been informed on Twitter, that its 34 years to the day that Jack Duckworth bummed a ciggie off me and Vera Duckworth said she loved my hair

I was in the corridor at granada Studios. Corronation Street Studio on one side and in the other Studio Benny Profane were waiting for James to do their umpteenth take so they could record their track (one take) for The Other Side of Midnight. I stayed in the corridor as I really didn't want to bump into Anthony Wilson in case he remembered me from an incident at the Free Trade hall not that long previously

Correction: it was 34 years and two days ago

I am a direct descendant of Sir Thomas Guy and could claim an AlmsHouse in Tamworth should I wish to do so in my retirement 

And Davina McCall tried to scrounge a pill off me in Ku circa 1992. 

Edited by Follyfoot
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 13/07/2018 at 19:25, TheAuthority said:

Well as the US is fast turning into Gilead I quite fancy returning home.

How are things going over there then - a nice and stable country to come back to I imagine?

I just came back into this thread and this was the first unread post.

I read the comment and then the date.

If I could only go back and tell him ...

oh boy dunk GIF

• Like 1

Stuck in the usual Friday night car park that is the M25 and Jamie Redknapp sat in his Bentley picking his nose right behind me. 
Five minutes later and the car behind me is being driven by Dave Gorman. What a day to be alive. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Browsing on Twitter I saw this post:

. . . and it reminded me of the Prince story I have been told. When we lived in China, we didn't know many other people, but one couple we became good friends with were from Minneapolis, and the lady told this story about a male friend of hers. Obviously no way of knowing how true it is, but anyway:

One day he was walking along the sidewalk going back to campus, and it was pouring with rain, so he was scurrying along getting drenched, when a limo pulls up beside him, a man's head emerges, and the man offers him a lift. On closer inspection, the man is Prince, who procedes to tell his driver to take this lad to wherever he's going, and so they ride along in the luxury of his limo. Prince is naturally listening to Prince. When they arrive at the campus, the guy thanks Prince profusely and goes to get out of the car, but Prince blocks him and says 'no no, just listen to the end of the song'. So he sat there awkwardly waiting for the song to end so he could go about his business.

A rubbish claim to fame story, but it made me smile anyway.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Browsing on Twitter I saw this post:

. . . and it reminded me of the Prince story I have been told. When we lived in China, we didn't know many other people, but one couple we became good friends with were from Minneapolis, and the lady told this story about a male friend of hers. Obviously no way of knowing how true it is, but anyway:

One day he was walking along the sidewalk going back to campus, and it was pouring with rain, so he was scurrying along getting drenched, when a limo pulls up beside him, a man's head emerges, and the man offers him a lift. On closer inspection, the man is Prince, who procedes to tell his driver to take this lad to wherever he's going, and so they ride along in the luxury of his limo. Prince is naturally listening to Prince. When they arrive at the campus, the guy thanks Prince profusely and goes to get out of the car, but Prince blocks him and says 'no no, just listen to the end of the song'. So he sat there awkwardly waiting for the song to end so he could go about his business.

A rubbish claim to fame story, but it made me smile anyway.

This is the high brow version of Mark Morrison driving round Leicester with his windows down and "Return of the Mack" playing at full volume.

What. A. word removed.

• Haha 2

21 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

I'm not one to kiss and tell so I won't name names, but about 18 years ago I was kissed on the cheek by one of the stars of Countdown. 

Big fan of Richard Stilgoe so fairly jealous of this. 

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, Rds1983 said:

I'm not one to kiss and tell so I won't name names, but about 18 years ago I was kissed on the cheek by one of the stars of Countdown. 

Word of the day is 'smeerikin', a stolen and hearty kiss.

Edited by fightoffyour

Â