Hungary v England/Germany v England/England v Italy/England v Hungary Nations League

andykeenan

1 hour ago, Gompedyret said:

Hmmm. So I guess this was a great match for England not to use any Villa players at all. 🤔

i think they dodged a bullet.

Wow, that was a howler.

Edited by TRO

2 hours ago, rjw63 said:

Harry **** Kane. 

Nothing but a cheating spunkstain. 

Can't stand the mongee looking cretin. 

I always thought spunk stains were quite Loyal.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

Listening to him on Talksport. He is blaming having too many attacking players on the pitch. I can't see this as a bad thing, if you know how to use them. Although, I really don't think there was, unless you guys can say otherwise.

Media bigging him up for taking responsibility is just bonkers. What else is he gonna do.

Also he's been saying all the players are fit and not tired. But now saying the players have had a long season and need a rest. 😂

The media cartel boys club.

"its bound to come good....like a broken clock, twice a day"

For all this talk about this being a golden generation of players, you have to really sit and ask if that is the case. Look at the squad and tell me how many of these players are genuine superstars in their position in the context of English football history, other than maybe Grealish and the diver Kane. Other than those two, how many would even get into the squad, and of those how many woul see meaningful pitch time in say the 2006 World Cup squad? England have some good players, enough to win a modern tournament, but great players? I'm not even English so it's no bother to me, but the reality is that most of these players are overrated primadonnas who would rather be partying it up on a beach on summer holiday than playing, albeit glorified friendlies, for their country in a World Cup year. By no means an excuse for Safegate as the buck stops with the manager who is responsible for picking and motivating the players, but I think most of these players aren't really as great as most claim them to be.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, a-k said:

For all this talk about this being a golden generation of players, you have to really sit and ask if that is the case. Look at the squad and tell me how many of these players are genuine superstars in their position in the context of English football history, other than maybe Grealish and the diver Kane. Other than those two, how many would even get into the squad, and of those how many woul see meaningful pitch time in say the 2006 World Cup squad? England have some good players, enough to win a modern tournament, but great players? I'm not even English so it's no bother to me, but the reality is that most of these players are overrated primadonnas who would rather be partying it up on a beach on summer holiday than playing, albeit glorified friendlies, for their country in a World Cup year. By no means an excuse for Safegate as the buck stops with the manager who is responsible for picking and motivating the players, but I think most of these players aren't really as great as most claim them to be.

but that's what southgate supposedly changed, the good thing about him was the feel good factor with england, the players wanting to be there, he was never a tactical genius he was never even that good a manager but he could create an environment that these young players could thrive in

now that environment seems to have disappeared what are we left with? a guy who isn't a tactical genius and isn't even that good a manager, I personally think he's not grown as a manager, the squad has and is getting better but he's not, he's not integrated new players very well especially the "young" attacking ones that england fans are all excited about, not just grealish ill add in foden and TAA too, he doesn't have  a clue how to use those 3 players and all 3 should be top 5 players in this team

i agree this team is suffering from the usual PL world class syndrome but they're still a lot better than what we've seen in the last week

• Like 1

You can see the problem right here.  Senior BBC football correspondent just said England need to find a way to incorporate a talent like TAA. 

This is why England constantly have unbalanced teams with players out of position.  The press always expect all the top players from their favorite 6 to be in the team regardless of if there is a berth for them or if it makes sense. 

The logic is to play someone like TAA behind Harry Kane or something to "ensure that talent is incorporated somehow" 

Why is it impossible to just pick a balanced team with the best available players in their normal positions even if that involves non press favourite 6 players? 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, a-k said:

there are some potentials, 100%. foden is pure class and when he retires i believe will be spoken about along with gerrard and lampard. declan rice is phenominal and the same probably applies. kane is one of the best strikers of our generation. the likes of trent and reece james are 2 of the best RBs i've seen. i'm probably forgetting a few too.

we do have some big weaknesses though. aside from a few great RBs we are poor at the back. mings is the best CB we have IMO and i love the guy but when your best CB just finished 14th it means you have a problem. our GK department is average and we're not going to win games with kalvin phillips on the pitch.

it's not quite the golden generation that sven had, but its the closest to it we've had since then

2 minutes ago, sidcow said:

You can see the problem right here.  Senior BBC football correspondent just said England need to find a way to incorporate a talent like TAA. 

This is why England constantly have unbalanced teams with players out of position.  The press always expect all the top players from their favorite 6 to be in the team regardless of if there is a berth for them or if it makes sense. 

The logic is to play someone like TAA behind Harry Kane or something to "ensure that talent is incorporated somehow" 

Why is it impossible to just pick a balanced team with the best available players in their normal positions even if that involves non press favourite 6 players? 

Gareth claims TAA is not a great defender. But we have never conceeded with him on the pitch. Go Figure......

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Gompedyret said:

Hmmm. So I guess this was a great match for England not to use any Villa players at all. 🤔

watkins will never be a starter as long as kane is there, but definitely good for mings. he gets scapegoated by everyone it seems, not just villa fans. be amazed if he misses the next squad

• Like 1

1 minute ago, foreveryoung said:

Gareth claims TAA is not a great defender. But we have never conceeded with him on the pitch. Go Figure......

Yeah, fine, play him in his position as a defender if you think he's the best man there, but the press have to prepare for another of their favourite players to not feature in that case. 

Gareth Southgate is a great FA manager. He is great at commenting on social issues within or outside the game. He is great because he is clean cut and without baggage. He is great because he handles the media well, and clearly has a lot of friends within media circles. he is great because he is a cost effective manager for the FA.

What he isn't is a great football manager. The FA need to decide where their priorities lie.

• Like 3

Â