Hungary v England/Germany v England/England v Italy/England v Hungary Nations League

andykeenan

2 hours ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Semi-final and final is a semblance of success, indeed. Denmark are a very good team with top players in the best leagues and also galvanised by what happened with Eriksen was always going to make it a tough game.

I think you are way off, Rice is a very good player and is beginning to prove that in tournament football with England and club. West Ham want top dollars, like Villa with you know who which is why teams are reluctant to pay. Perhaps money well spent in some cases...

You talk all the time about paying too much for ENGLISH players yet other European teams pay high fees too. Galacticos started this, Ronaldo for £100 million, Coutinho over £100 million, Lukaku £97 million....I could go on

Phillips I would agree with is not a top player....but you seem to like bashing the England team so it's just getting boring now....

some folk don't rate CDM's......period.

On 11/06/2022 at 21:33, Tommo_b said:

Honestly think Dean Smith would be a good England manager.

Said it last summer after the Euros. I think he'd be better than Southgate anyway!

Just hope he hasn't blotted his copy book too much with the Norwich move.

I'm also not sure it would be a popular appointment outside of Villa fans

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Zatman said:

Thats really not true. For a team that cant break teams down, an average midfield plodder is not the important player. You have bought into the Southgate defensive propaganda 

You make Declan Rice seem like Pirlo. Italy beat Hungary last week with a strikeforce that didnt play together before. One plays in the Swiss league

He shouldn't be the most important player, but he IS an excellent player.

He can be the sole DM in the England team and everything in front of him should be more attacking focused.

A midfield 3 of Rice, Bellingham and Mount, for example

12 hours ago, Zatman said:

as for Rice he is average, he wouldnt get a game for a top team on the continent or if eligible another top national team. He is though better than Phillips who is at best the yorkshire Karl Henry who has somehow stole an international career on the basis that Leeds were some elite team for getting smashed

Neither are worth 30 million on the transfer market. Rice maybe but Phillips is a 5 million pound player at most

Come on, Zat. Even accounting for your usual anti-English agenda, this is absolute nonsense :D 

9 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Or some people rate CDMs that can play football also

Its not 1995

Agree

I feel like the role of the CDM has changed post busquets (he's underrated still) and can now be split as to what the manager wants to do - does he want to set up based on his own team or he does he want to set up based on the opposition 

Southgate bases his team on stopping the opposition so of course he looks good in that system, pep on the other hand will play his football in to the ground until its the death of him and rice would look like a fish out of water in that system 

He wouldn't be a great player for city, Liverpool or Real Madrid the 3 best teams in the world, or the likes of bayern or PSG teams that want 60%+ possession and 800 passes a game giving him 80 to 100 touches of the ball, he's not that type of DCM

But again for England and how Southgate wants to play I actually agree he is a key player, sad fact of Southgate, shouldn't be because its not like we bomb the full backs forward 

6 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Come on, Zat. Even accounting for your usual anti-English agenda, this is absolute nonsense :D 

Not really I dont think Rice is all that even when he played for Ireland 😉

He is a good ball winner but thats it for me I dont see anything else. He wouldn't get in the Spain, Italy, Germany, France even Denmark midfield as he is limited on the ball. West Ham cleverly play to his strengths but at City or United he will be found out

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Zatman said:

Thats really not true. For a team that cant break teams down, an average midfield plodder is not the important player. You have bought into the Southgate defensive propaganda 

You make Declan Rice seem like Pirlo. Italy beat Hungary last week with a strikeforce that didnt play together before. One plays in the Swiss league

not at all but it all falls apart without him maybe because our centre-backs arent good enough and people can point out Mings didn't play but Villa have had this problem for years and its only just been addressed. 

Â