Hungary v England/Germany v England/England v Italy/England v Hungary Nations League

andykeenan

It's obvious the England team needs to be built around players, Kane, Grealish, Rice, Bellingham, Alexander-Arnold etc...

Chopping and changing the team will lead to results like this.

Jarrod Bowen is also not an international footballer, head down and hence missed opportunities to pass and cross the ball into space. Reminded me of watching McGinn!

1 hour ago, a-k said:

For all this talk about this being a golden generation of players, you have to really sit and ask if that is the case. Look at the squad and tell me how many of these players are genuine superstars in their position in the context of English football history, other than maybe Grealish and the diver Kane. Other than those two, how many would even get into the squad, and of those how many woul see meaningful pitch time in say the 2006 World Cup squad? England have some good players, enough to win a modern tournament, but great players? I'm not even English so it's no bother to me, but the reality is that most of these players are overrated primadonnas who would rather be partying it up on a beach on summer holiday than playing, albeit glorified friendlies, for their country in a World Cup year. By no means an excuse for Safegate as the buck stops with the manager who is responsible for picking and motivating the players, but I think most of these players aren't really as great as most claim them to be.

TAA, Phil Foden, Bellingham, Sancho, Sterling, Reece James, Mount is better than Southgateball allows him, James Maddison nowhere near the England squad and even Vardy who retired because Southgate pretty much wouldn't play him

Edited by Zatman
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Wurzel said:

Gareth Southgate is a great FA manager. He is great at commenting on social issues within or outside the game. He is great because he is clean cut and without baggage. He is great because he handles the media well, and clearly has a lot of friends within media circles. he is great because he is a cost effective manager for the FA.

What he isn't is a great football manager. The FA need to decide where their priorities lie.

The FA probably needed a "clean" manager, after the string of scandals they've had, more than anything else. 

The two problems they have is that he's not very good and that the media seem to like him (due to aforementioned cleanliness).

So they can't sack him without a backlash from the media and his mates in the punditsphere.

They need him to have a major failure and for him to walk. Which I think he might do now, if he didn't have so much public backing from his mates in TV.  I think he genuinely believes the excuse he gave of not having a full strength team. I think he'll definitely walk if he fails to make it out the group at the world Cup. Not sure that's likely but I think it's a clean way for FA to let him go.

Other than that, I can't see them sacking him for any reason. They're priorities probably still lie with having a clean image at the moment, rather than playing nice football.

10 hours ago, regular_john said:

Is anyone really bothered about the nation's league? Aren't these games just formalised friendlies?

Not when they're the only games being played as build up to a world cup.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

Reminds me of that 10 year old boy who went to the barber before the World Cup in 2002 and asked for a Sven haircut.

sven2.jpg

With his impressive decision making, that kid grew up to be Harry Maguire

Ramsdale  faced 6 hours shooting practise in training today without conceding a goal ..

Tomorrow Ramsdale and Sterling will be rejoining the rest of the squad for training

Edited by tonyh29
  • Haha 3

10 hours ago, PaulC said:

One thing the game last night proved is that Declan Rice is the most important player in that England team. 

Thats really not true. For a team that cant break teams down, an average midfield plodder is not the important player. You have bought into the Southgate defensive propaganda 

You make Declan Rice seem like Pirlo. Italy beat Hungary last week with a strikeforce that didnt play together before. One plays in the Swiss league

3 minutes ago, rosenthal said:

Also think this jumping back and forward between a back 4 and a 3 is madness. National teams have very little time together to shape the team, stick with a formation and keep it over time. 

Think he's trying to prove a back 4 doesn't work so he can justify sticking with a back 3 in the world Cup where it matters.

The fact he only played a back 4 with 2 right backs in it will be glossed over.

51 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Thats really not true. For a team that cant break teams down, an average midfield plodder is not the important player. You have bought into the Southgate defensive propaganda 

You make Declan Rice seem like Pirlo. Italy beat Hungary last week with a strikeforce that didnt play together before. One plays in the Swiss league

You are funny...

Declan Rice was part of a very successful England team which came within a whimper of winning the Euros, he was good in the tournament.

I take it you are Irish? The Anti-Englishness to many of your posts is slightly tiresome, try a little objectivity....

16 minutes ago, rosenthal said:

Also think this jumping back and forward between a back 4 and a 3 is madness. National teams have very little time together to shape the team, stick with a formation and keep it over time. 

I agree, the problem with Southgate during the Nations League is chopping and changing too much, he's treating the games as competitive friendlies.

11 hours ago, PaulC said:

One thing the game last night proved is that Declan Rice is the most important player in that England team. 

Agree with this, I was amazed he wasn't on the teamsheet...

Phillips is the one who should miss out...

18 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

You are funny...

Declan Rice was part of a very successful England team which came within a whimper of winning the Euros, he was good in the tournament.

I take it you are Irish? The Anti-Englishness to many of your posts is slightly tiresome, try a little objectivity....

I agree, the problem with Southgate during the Nations League is chopping and changing too much, he's treating the games as competitive friendlies.

successful. In a home tournament which it was, they beat 2 teams that didnt qualify for the World Cup{one they struggled past} and drew with Scotland and Italy who also didnt qualify. Struggled past Denmark who were emotionally shattered. 

as for Rice he is average, he wouldnt get a game for a top team on the continent or if eligible another top national team. He is though better than Phillips who is at best the yorkshire Karl Henry who has somehow stole an international career on the basis that Leeds were some elite team for getting smashed

Neither are worth 30 million on the transfer market. Rice maybe but Phillips is a 5 million pound player at most

1 hour ago, MrBlack said:

Think he's trying to prove a back 4 doesn't work so he can justify sticking with a back 7 in the world Cup where it matters.

The fact he only played a back 4 with 2 right backs in it will be glossed over.

FTFY

8 hours ago, Zatman said:

successful. In a home tournament which it was, they beat 2 teams that didnt qualify for the World Cup{one they struggled past} and drew with Scotland and Italy who also didnt qualify. Struggled past Denmark who were emotionally shattered. 

as for Rice he is average, he wouldnt get a game for a top team on the continent or if eligible another top national team. He is though better than Phillips who is at best the yorkshire Karl Henry who has somehow stole an international career on the basis that Leeds were some elite team for getting smashed

Neither are worth 30 million on the transfer market. Rice maybe but Phillips is a 5 million pound player at most

Semi-final and final is a semblance of success, indeed. Denmark are a very good team with top players in the best leagues and also galvanised by what happened with Eriksen was always going to make it a tough game.

I think you are way off, Rice is a very good player and is beginning to prove that in tournament football with England and club. West Ham want top dollars, like Villa with you know who which is why teams are reluctant to pay. Perhaps money well spent in some cases...

You talk all the time about paying too much for ENGLISH players yet other European teams pay high fees too. Galacticos started this, Ronaldo for £100 million, Coutinho over £100 million, Lukaku £97 million....I could go on

Phillips I would agree with is not a top player....but you seem to like bashing the England team so it's just getting boring now....

• Like 1

On 15/06/2022 at 07:59, sidcow said:

You can see the problem right here.  Senior BBC football correspondent just said England need to find a way to incorporate a talent like TAA. 

This is why England constantly have unbalanced teams with players out of position.  The press always expect all the top players from their favorite 6 to be in the team regardless of if there is a berth for them or if it makes sense. 

The logic is to play someone like TAA behind Harry Kane or something to "ensure that talent is incorporated somehow" 

Why is it impossible to just pick a balanced team with the best available players in their normal positions even if that involves non press favourite 6 players? 

Talent,Talent,Talent.....They are barking at the moon.

We are not lacking talent.....we are lacking application.....off the ball we don't work hard enough.....Hungary worked their socks off, in closing down and getting to the ball first, when they got it, the spaces opened up for them.

• Like 1

Â