Season 22/23 Target League Position

nick76

The poll  

151 members have voted

1. 1. What league position should we be aiming for?

2. 2. What is the lowest acceptable position?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/06/22 at 23:00

21 minutes ago, AshVilla said:

Amazed so many think 9-12 is acceptable.

If we're floating round 12th at Christmas and the managers that are on the market, are still on the market, I expect he'll be replaced.

• Like 3

Anything below 10th will be unacceptable, 10th itself wouldn't be great but at least we would be able to say it's a step forward given it will be the first time we will have finished top half in the premier league in twelve seasons.

We also must do better in the Cup competions.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, AshVilla said:

Amazed so many think 9-12 is acceptable.

I agree, anything but top ten has to be seen as failure.  If this time next season we finish 12th, something is not right at the club.

Small time I know but honestly I am grateful to have semi comfortably survived another season. if we can improve a few places next season I will be delighted.

The Championship years traumatized me :) I am never taking PL survival for granted ever again.

Happily the players, manager, CEO and owners all have greater ambitions than mine. Which is as it should be.

I remember hearing a quote that went something like this: "Football is a funny game. You start at 0-0 and try not to make it worse" (no idea who said it though - or the proper quote!).

We start the next season as we do every season: On zero points and in 2nd place.

We need to not make it worse 😉

28 minutes ago, ozvillafan said:

We start the next season as we do every season: On zero points and in 2nd place.

Third place for us next season. Or at least it should be if done properly… 

Edited by Tayls

7th has to and will be the target I think. 8th-10th will only be accepted with a really good cup run. I sent in a stat earlier we’ve dropped 19 points from winning positions, sort that out and we’ll move up the table. We’ve finished 7 points off 8th, I think we’re 2/3 more signings off it. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CarryOnVilla said:

Ambitious I know, but 60+ points would be astonishing 

Would it? We got 55 under dean and will have spent something like a quarter of a billion pounds most likely for those extra five points....

• Like 2

Europe or Bust.  To be honest, we weren't as far off as the table suggests...  We were only 7 points off 8th and barely had any draws.  That's turning around 3 results and we would have finished 8th instead of 14th.  Hell, we would have finished 7th, if two of those results were the double against West Ham and a draw against someone else...  That's how close off Europe we were.

Assuming we add Tarkowski and another midfielder, on paper, we have a squad capable of competing with West Ham, Leicester, Wolves, and at least one of Man United, Spurs, & Arsenal will underachieve next season.  It's going to be a battle between us and all those teams to see who is the most consistent. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ozvillafan said:

We need to not make it worse 😉

We really need Arsenal to get relegated so we can start a season in first.  And make certain that Aldershot and Accrington don't move up the divisions.... 

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, paul514 said:

Would it? We got 55 under dean and will have spent something like a quarter of a billion pounds most likely for those extra five points....

Spending money doesn’t mean we getting more points. Other teams spend money too. Realistically, 60+ points is top 6 form.  Top 6 is an ambitious target for Villa, considering we just finished 14th on 45 points, 10 points from safety . So yeah 60+ points is ambitious, be it making us top 6 or not. 

1 hour ago, CarryOnVilla said:

Spending money doesn’t mean we getting more points. Other teams spend money too. Realistically, 60+ points is top 6 form.  Top 6 is an ambitious target for Villa, considering we just finished 14th on 45 points, 10 points from safety . So yeah 60+ points is ambitious, be it making us top 6 or not. 

I don’t agree no one outside the big 6 has a better squad than us as it is 

15 minutes ago, CarryOnVilla said:

Then why did we finish 8 places below the top 6? 

Injuries early in the season, poor formation for the playing staff, bad management.

Â