Season 22/23 Target League Position

nick76

The poll  

151 members have voted

1. 1. What league position should we be aiming for?

2. 2. What is the lowest acceptable position?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/06/22 at 23:00

1 minute ago, turvontour said:

But 55 points in most seasons is 7th or 8th

Yea in some seasons.... but I don't call progress getting the same amount of points as you did two years ago (next summer) after spending a likely 250 million since.

I reckon Target might be fighting for a place in Europe next season if he joins them permanently. 

Oh, you meant our target

I’d take 8-10, happily. 

• Haha 1

We sacked the last manager as we weren't challenging the top 8 after 11 games when the season before points total gets us top 8 most seasons 

We have luckily hired an "upgrade" so top 8 is expected but then again this "upgrade" I expected top 10 this season 

7 hours ago, icouldtelltheworld said:

Top half and troubling the European places. No excuses this time, especially if we are going to be splashing big money yet again- at some point we have to see return on the investment 

I'll have an excuse straight away - other teams in the league will also be splashing big money 

Expected performance based on spending when only looking at villas spending is dodgy ground imo 

Let's see what West ham, wolves, Leicester and obviously Newcastle do this summer too

i did vote and we obviously should be aiming for top half as a minimum

but i really want a cup run. i want to go back to wembley. it's been too long and actually a very realistic route for a team like us to get into europe

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

I'll have an excuse straight away - other teams in the league will also be splashing big money 

Expected performance based on spending when only looking at villas spending is dodgy ground imo 

Let's see what West ham, wolves, Leicester and obviously Newcastle do this summer too

That’s very true, many other clubs will have similar ambitions we can’t view it in isolation. However targets will be set by the board and if they’re not met changes will be made. NSWE have and will continue to provide the tools, how they’re used will be the defining factor. The fact that SG said early in his tenure that there are no excuses not to perform here, would indicate that he is under no illusions as to the task ahead and the consequences of not meeting those targets. 

I think since Gerrard has come in we are a better side than Wolves, West Ham, Leicester et el. I think pre-season will be important and if we can recruit the right 3 players in CF, CDM, CB. Also we need Ings goal scoring touch to return 

7 hours ago, Zatman said:

We sacked the last manager as we weren't challenging the top 8 after 11 games when the season before points total gets us top 8 most seasons 

We have luckily hired an "upgrade" so top 8 is expected but then again this "upgrade" I expected top 10 this season 

Yeah but after a fast start to the season we were terrible under Smith in 2021 and on course for relegation the ppg we were getting. 

Under Gerrard we're close, we just need to get our attack improved and players taking their chances. Plus the right players in CDM / CB

Top ten finish has to be the minimum aim and a good run in both cups.

Home form has to improve next season also.

I’m optimistic. We’re not far away from being a very good top ten team. The midfield obviously is the biggest puzzle that needs to be solved over the summer. Will be key to success or failure next season.

Dunno about targets for Villa. My target for next season is to enjoy football again. Someone pulling the plug on VAR and the retirement/forcible ejection of Jon Moss and Mike Dean would be good starts. 

8 hours ago, Zatman said:

I'm still yet to be convinced that the early Smith form would have carried through to a relegation fight. New manager bump looks very much like regression to the mean.

Gotta say that I'm quite excited about this summer though. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Mark Albrighton said:

The target should be 1st. I think the idea is to go into each match with the aim of winning it. Therefore 1st is the target that you should be ultimately aiming for.

Of course, I know that isn’t realistic.

The realistic target should be 7th/8th. Being the best of the rest. Or the worst of the best.

What’s acceptable or unacceptable, it’s a bit trickier to say. If we finished 10th but only two or three points off 7th, it would be unfair to offer too much criticism. 

A cup win would negate a lower placed league finish.

I'm with you 100% on the above, although with my slightly more realistic hat on, I would say top four and with my sensible hat on at a very jaunty angle, I would say European qualification (of any sort) whether it be through our league placing or an FA Cup/League Cup win.

Acceptable would be a first top half finish for a very long time or a Cup Final. Unacceptable would be below 12th (although we won't be doing that).

• Like 1

According to this article in the Telegraph, 8th was the aim this season: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2022/05/22/inside-aston-villas-transfer-war-room-steven-gerrard-prepares/  ("This campaign overall will be viewed as a disappointment, as the pre-season target was to try and finish eighth. Villa will go into this weekend’s game at Manchester City 14th in the table.")

Whether 8th was the aim before or after Grealish left, I've no idea, but we've fallen well short of that.

Next season, for those saying 12th will be acceptable, it really won't. For me, anything below 9th will not be good enough and the aim must be 7th or above. 

We absolutely must be targeting to finish above Palace, Brentford, Brighton and Wolves who I suspect will not be spending much this summer. I've no idea what direction Leicester are going in but they are a realistic side to catch next season too. After that it becomes more tricky but we should be looking to be in and around where West Ham and Newcastle are who will both probably be competing for 7th (depending on the signings Newcastle make but they will no doubt spend big). 

Our biggest weaknesses are at CB and CM (both bottom half PL standard I'm afraid to say) so these are the two areas that need the most attention. I think we have top 6 players in Martinez, Digne, Coutinho and maybe Buendia (if he can find more consistency). Bailey could be if he finds his Leverkusen form but that's a very big if given the system we play. I actually think both Watkins and Ings are top half PL standard so not sure we absolutely need a striker, although I think we could improve on both of them with the right scouting.

So for me I think we need to go all out for at least one quality CB, one quality DM and one quality CM. A quality ST if there is enough money to spend and if we can get good money for either Ings or Watkins (Ings would be my preference to be sold given his age). If we get these players in, then 6th/7th next season must be the goal.

• Like 2

Without yet knowing what our squad will look like.

Finishing in the top-10 but as close to 7th as possible in both position and points.

Would be fun with a cup run but as always we will draw City or Plop right away.

Got be fighting for top 8 and the European positions surely. We spent a lot of money and will do so in the summer. its either next season or gerrard out

Â