Ratings & Reactions: Leicester v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

136 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 26/04/22 at 23:00

Just now, Delphinho123 said:

Honestly mate, all I can judge him on is his time here and aside from the Everton match where you could argue he broke away with pace, he’s look bang average in terms of his speed. 

Nowhere near as quick as I thought he was. 

I completely agree, I just hope it’s down to injury because he’s been a massive disappointment so far.   There were talks of him being valued at 80m a few years back because of how good he was and the electric pace.  I thought we had a real coup when we got him. So, again, I’m just hoping it’s injury and next season we see the “real” Bailey if he’s still here.

2 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Honestly mate, all I can judge him on is his time here and aside from the Everton match where you could argue he broke away with pace, he’s look bang average in terms of his speed. 

Nowhere near as quick as I thought he was. 

He must still be suffering from that muscle injury he got in that game. Explosive players and muscle injuries is always a risk.

He was rapid before that injury. I watched him a lot and it's not like the Bundesliga is slow, quite the opposite.

All in all, a battling performance. It’s obvious we have some quality issues in front of the net, but there was no shortage of effort. Not really feeling the negativity myself, but I can understand why people feel disappointed. It didn’t go our way, but it was within reach — so that irks.

Edited by Marka Ragnos

1 hour ago, Nigel said:

Clean sheet was important!

I thought Iroegbanum looked assured when he came on, really looking forward to seeing more of him.

I find myself sitting up when Buendia comes on, it is a crying shame we cant see more of him.

Watkins is a menace, its like he single handedly winds up the back line. Its just a crying shame he isnt just a bit better at shooting. It was a decent game from him today but yet he never really looked like scoring, is that good for a forward?

I also think Bailey is playing himself out the door. Whether its purely rust or that hes given up but he was a waste of a position today. There were pleny of times you thought he could use his pace and he simply didnt. Dont know whats wrong but Ill give him a bit of leeway due to inactivity.

However i cant stand the way Luiz and Mcginn play that link role between defence and midfield when we are under pressure. Its crying out for someone to take the ball on the half turn and look forward, instead of that we get the first time ball back to the defender every time; Its almost as if its the first thing in their mind too, often giving it back to an area thats flooded. Just need a bit of intelligence there.

Our other big problem is the lack of balance in attack, players just dont seem natural in the positions, I suppose the lack of Digne is partly to blame. There were plenty of balls simply played to the wrong foot of our players that needed a touch to get it out of their feet; Thats all the time defenders need at this level.

Its all feels a bit clunky at the moment!

ditto....but how long has this been said?

1 hour ago, nick76 said:

Enjoying some time down the coast but managed to get away from the family for a couple of hours, got a great stream and just watched that boring crap.

I wonder sometimes why we do everything we can, wherever we are and we get that crap and we still come back week after week.

After four defeats, the bright spot is a point but that’s the only thing I’m taking away from this game.  

I hope Gerrard sorts it out next season because this is poor to watch, the results aren’t great and seems very little to look forward to week after week.

Aston Villa.....I like the name.

Tim was the bright spot for me.....The game was like having pins stuck in your eyes, the first touch and ability to stay on the ball, is woeful at times...nothing clean and concise, we are far too easy to challenge, too.

The point and clean sheet, was important too....but blimey, he needs to get 'em playing better than this.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, sne said:

He must still be suffering from that muscle injury he got in that game. Explosive players and muscle injuries is always a risk.

He was rapid before that injury. I watched him a lot and it's not like the Bundesliga is slow, quite the opposite.

Yeh, you could be right. If he was quick, fair enough, but he certainly isn’t at the moment so maybe with a pre season he might get that pace back?

Thats if he’s still here next season. The only thing working in his favour is we’ve only recently signed him for a lot of money, otherwise we’d be looking to move him on based on his performances so far. He’s been the worst of the Summer transfers by some distance I’d say. 

• Like 1

Just now, Delphinho123 said:

Yeh, you could be right. If he was quick, fair enough, but he certainly isn’t at the moment so maybe with a pre season he might get that pace back?

Thats if he’s still here next season. The only thing working in his favour is we’ve only recently signed him for a lot of money, otherwise we’d be looking to move him on based on his performances so far. He’s been the worst of the Summer transfers by some distance I’d say. 

Said in the match thread I would not be surprised if he has surgery in the summer. Just speculation of course.

17 hours ago, AVFCDAN said:

We got the scrappy point we needed today and away at Leicester it’s not bad.

Looking at the bigger picture though, anyone expecting that team to do anything more than 11th next season is going to be sorely disappointed. All the money spent and we are still a million miles off being a decent team.

I would be very reluctant to give Gerrard significant money in the summer, sell the project to someone with more pedigree.

If you spend it wrong...that usually happens.

Not a good day for defending SG....but he never built this team....so its hard to blame him for the assembly of this team.

Lets see what he can do when he has the opportunity in the summer......if it doesn't work, then criticise......but he deserves an opportunity to bring in players, to fill roles, which are widely claimed weaknesses.

"sell the project to someone with more pedigree".....and let them waste it, instead.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

I would be very surprised if Gerrard isn’t given another season at least, and it would be pretty crazy to starve him of transfer funds.

I certainly don’t want to see this squad struggling through another season without some real quality added.

Your formulation of the manager being given money to spend isn’t how it works these days. There are a lot more people involved in buying strategy so as long as we have the right people  doing that work, who is the manager becomes less significant for transfers.

I agree, Brin

I find it a very strange way to get the best out of a new manager,  by starving him of funds......Its a paradox that has me rumbled.

Its kinda like.....support players, when they are struggling and starve managers of funds, when they are......Its called double standards, where I come from.

Edited by TRO

40 minutes ago, AVFCDAN said:

All the money spent and we are still a million miles off being a decent team.

I would be very reluctant to give Gerrard significant money in the summer, sell the project to someone with more pedigree.

Gerrard didn't spend the money though did he? He didn't waste the money in the summer on Bailey and Ings

Wanting to change a manager before giving them a chance seems pointless?

Why is there such a lack of patience from fans nowadays? Been in charge for 21 league games I think, has improved us (based on a ppg from Smith earlier this season). This was always going to be a transitional season once the change was made. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Xela said:

Gerrard didn't spend the money though did he? He didn't waste the money in the summer on Bailey and Ings

Wanting to change a manager before giving them a chance seems pointless?

Why is there such a lack of patience from fans nowadays? Been in charge for 21 league games I think, has improved us (based on a ppg from Smith earlier this season). This was always going to be a transitional season once the change was made. 

I’m not saying I want to change the manager, all I want is some evidence he is the right man to give a large summer budget to, realistically if we spend big in the summer it’s the last time we can do so without actually improving our league position, I’ve seen no evidence that Gerrard is that man unfortunately.

2 minutes ago, AVFCDAN said:

I’m not saying I want to change the manager, all I want is some evidence he is the right man to give a large summer budget to, realistically if we spend big in the summer it’s the last time we can do so without actually improving our league position, I’ve seen no evidence that Gerrard is that man unfortunately.

Fair dos, but there is no evidence to suggest he isn't the man either :)  We'll only know by showing some trust in him, which i'm sure the club will. 

• Like 1

While I’d have taken a point before the game, and we certainly were no worse than Leicester, I was still left slightly disappointed after a game I felt we would have won if we played anywhere near as well as we can reasonably expect this team to play. 

Buendia seriously needs to start games. 

Edited by El Zen
  • Like 1

Defensively much better although Konsa still looks an accident waiting to happen.

The midfield, I'm so fed up of our midfield. 36% possession!

We know Gerrard really rates Ramsey which is fine but we need to change something. Next match I'd start Iroegbunam to be honest and then see how he gets on and bring Nakamba on if he tires.

Buendia must start next match, he offered more in ten minutes than Bailey in the whole match.

• Like 1

Â