Ratings & Reactions: Leicester v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

136 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 26/04/22 at 23:00

2 hours ago, AVFCDAN said:

I’m not saying I want to change the manager, all I want is some evidence he is the right man to give a large summer budget to, realistically if we spend big in the summer it’s the last time we can do so without actually improving our league position, I’ve seen no evidence that Gerrard is that man unfortunately.

Again, nobody will be giving Gerrard “a large summer budget”. There is a team of people who decide transfers in the club. 

Are you saying you don’t have any confidence in all the people involved in transfer policy?

Also, if you don’t want to sack Gerrard, are you saying he should stay but without any significant improvement to the squad?

Does that make any sense?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Defensively much better although Konsa still looks an accident waiting to happen.

The midfield, I'm so fed up of our midfield. 36% possession!

We know Gerrard really rates Ramsey which is fine but we need to change something. Next match I'd start Iroegbunam to be honest and then see how he gets on and bring Nakamba on if he tires.

Buendia must start next match, he offered more in ten minutes than Bailey in the whole match.

Low possession stats are usually a consequence of not pressing much, allowing the other team longer possession sequences. The midfield is only one part of it.

• Like 1

Leicester are a pretty good team and their attacking stats are far better than Villa's, but their defensive problems mean they have the same goal-difference as Villa.

They have had to adapt to playing without Vardy, who has been out since December.

They certainly showed a lot of respect for Villa by concentrating on defence and possession, and leaving Harvey Barnes on the bench.

In the end I think that they were as happy as Villa to take a point.

The fact that Leicester had two shots on target and Villa only had three, says all you need to know about the game.

• Like 3

Just back from holiday in Devon, where I watched the game.

Major positive is we’ve stopped the run of defeats and it could prove to be a really important point. Clean sheet is good also. In truth though, Leicester offered little to the game.

I don’t think our performance was anything other than ok and our best performances were probably from the subs bench in the second half.

Konsa has lost any confidence that he had with the ball and is now a walking nightmare. 

McGinn now offers absolutely nothing. He’s very sluggish and isn’t even battling or bursting forward anymore. You would think it was preseason and he was building up his fitness? Just bizarre.

Luiz looks ready to go and offers little. No goal threat, no real key passes. So passive.

J Ramsey I really like but needs a rest.

Coutinho was poor and offered little going forward. Is he fed up with us already?

Bailey first half was stuck in treacle. Slightly better second half but boy he needs a solid preseason. Will Gerrard keep him though?

Watkins worked hard but has the touch of the ripper. Just awful by Premier League standards.

Everyone else was a 6 out of 10.

Tim Iroegbunam. I like you 👍

Final point, we have to find a place for Emi Buendia. Total waste on the bench. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Luiz was scruffy in his work all game and Bailey looked rustier than that rowing machine you had for Christmas in 2002.

Iroegbanum is absolutely everything we need in the middle of the park at the moment - he's really calm on the ball, he's got presence, he's big and he can pass it - I'd be looking at starting him in the next one.

Hard to enjoy, but we more than matched Leicester who are a decent side, we've kept a clean sheet and bought a point back from a tricky away game.

It's okay.

Which really begs the question, what do you do on your rowing machines......... ? :o

The squad is suited to a 4231 - Tim and Marvellous holding - pick from anyone you want in front of that.

I like Ollie & McGinn but I don't think either a great footballers. In fact Ollie is a likeable workaholic but is upper Championship at best. Touch, feet and intelligence are not PL level. McGinn is a tryer who knows when he can get away with hiding probably because he doesn't take care of himself.

Chambers did not deserve to be dropped for Konsa and should come back in. 

Coutinho is playing like someone very far from home, who's future is all up in the air and surrounded by speculation and (I imagine) lots of different voices in his ear. This is sad because he's obviously such a gifted footballer and everything swirling around him off the pitch impacts what he can do on it.

Emi Buendia really wants to succeed and is hungry for it, but the manager doesn't want to drop his mate who happens to be a big name from Barcelona. 

Bailey needs some games but it's hard to justify his place in the team as his performances are so dire.

Ramsay is developing and if the team were more stable would improve much more quickly. If one of the big 6 had a manager who was astute in the transfer market they'd come in and prize him away from us. I'm sure Ferguson would have - maybe Klopp will have a go, but I doubt it.

Let's forget Stevie G for the moment, what is going on with this reported incredible coaching staff? I haven't seen anything that suggests to me it's better than ROK and John Terry. Do the players just not buy into it or is it (as I suspect) they haven't been tested at this level before and are being found out big time.

Beale and GMac lead by Gerrard, have managed an U18 side before going to Scotland where 92% of the games are against part-timers. The PL is a different Galaxy in terms of every metric - fitness, technique, pace, coaching, preparation, etc. etc. I hope Purslow hasn't made a complete bollock of this because he has eyes for Stevie, but it would be very Aston Villa if he has, and it ends up making these owners throw in the towel.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, TheAuthority said:

Let's forget Stevie G for the moment, what is going on with this reported incredible coaching staff? I haven't seen anything that suggests to me it's better than ROK and John Terry. Do the players just not buy into it or is it (as I suspect) they haven't been tested at this level before and are being found out big time.

Beale and GMac lead by Gerrard, have managed an U18 side before going to Scotland where 92% of the games are against part-timers. The PL is a different Galaxy in terms of every metric - fitness, technique, pace, coaching, preparation, etc. etc. I hope Purslow hasn't made a complete bollock of this because he has eyes for Stevie, but it would be very Aston Villa if he has, and it ends up making these owners throw in the towel.

It’s fine, to a certain value of fine... Gerrard is nothing special and it wasn’t worth making the switch from Smith, but he’s also no worse than a lot of Prem appointees. We will finish around 14th, he’ll do the same next season, and one way or another he’ll be off and we will appoint someone else. It’s a bit depressing but I keep reminding myself I would have jumped at boring midtable when we were staying up on the last day a couple of years back. 

Don't care about the quality of the game, we just needed to stop the run of defeats, a draw away to Leicester not a bad result, in fact I'd say it's a pretty good result, would have been satisfied with it even we had been in amazing form, Man City, Arsenal, Chelsea, and Newcastle the only teams to beat them at their ground this season. A positive to take into the Norwich game, but we need to make sure we win that, as won't be much use getting draws in games like this if we can't follow it with a win at home to Norwich.

11 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

yesterday was a strange game to be fair and one that had we not lost the last 4 we'd have approached differently. we were playing for 0-0 in the last 5 mins because we didn't want another 5 losses in a row.

i fundamentally disagree with nothing to latch on to at the moment. yesterday showed clear improvement IMO.

Clear improvement??? How exactly? Yes we stopped the rot but I don't think there was anything to be cheering about performance wise.. still looked as disjointed as most of the performances under Gerrard... Leicester were half arsed at best also.. there was no improvement bar us taking a draw away against a Leicester side equally as abject as we were.....

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, leighavfc said:

Clear improvement??? How exactly? Yes we stopped the rot but I don't think there was anything to be cheering about performance wise.. still looked as disjointed as most of the performances under Gerrard... Leicester were half arsed at best also.. there was no improvement bar us taking a draw away against a Leicester side equally as abject as we were.....

because we created more and better chances than they did

continue to be miserable if you want...gonna take the positives myself

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

🤣 ok mate you carry on believing that... What "clear chances" are you talking of? Do explain as I am trying to understand where I am going wrong here... I am being realistic not "miserable"

Edited by leighavfc

Just now, leighavfc said:

🤣 ok mate you carry on believing that... What "clear chances" are you talking of? Do explain in trying to understand where I'm going wrong here...

bailey should've hit the target, watkins straight at keeper if he connects better could've gone in, ball across the face of goal was begging someone to tap it in, buendia's shot just wide, schmeichel save at near post

general attacking play was better

defensively was better (clean sheet)

i'm not saying it was a brilliant performance, just fundamentally disagree with people saying it wasn't an improvement

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

We also contained Leicester to attacks on the wings, hit on the counter, and could have maybe had a decent shout for handball against Fofana. It was a disciplined performance against a good side when we weren’t at a best beforehand. 

• Like 2

Given it was there 4th game in 9 days and they've been to Holland it that time and probably got one eye on Roma on Thursday, 

I think we should consider ourselves shit and very lucky! 

• Like 3

Was painful watching us trying to pass it out from the back with no clue as to how. Only Luiz showing for the ball and Martinez, Mings and Konsa getting more and more pressed by the Leicester players.

Credit to Leicester for making it difficult for us but what is the plan here. How are trying to get the ball from Martinez to Coutinho which I assume is the idea? Why else play Coutinho. We looked like we didn't have a clue, especially in the first half.

There were absolutely individual performances that played a big part in why we looked so clueless with the ball bouncing off Watkins, Bailey and McGinn like it was repelled from them. But most of the time we didn't even get the ball to them.

Coutinho had 25 touches and only made 16 passes with a 68% accuracy (according to Whoscored). And it's not like that tired Leicester team played a blinder on either side of the pitch.

Our issues goes deeper than just getting a couple new players in.

17 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

One of the most boring games I’ve ever seen

Which is par for the course for two mid - table teams at this time of the season.  I mean, it was never going to be an all time classic. It certainly was a difficult watch, but I wasn't in the least surprised. 

Â