The Strikers

Delphinho123

1 minute ago, duke313 said:

This is why I think we need two #6 this summer, and out and out #6 to replace Nakamba, and a #6/8 like Bissouma who can replace McGinn, allowing JJ to bomb up and down.

I think one top quality 6 means McGinn doesn't have to worry about helping out as much defensively. I do agree a Bissouma player who is comfortable at 6 or 8 would be ideal along side an out and out 6. Simply because the midfield trio for home to Southampton are different to away to City.

There are 12 forwards who have scored at least 5 goals and have over 0.6 goal contributions per 90 in the Premier League this season. Only four of them play for teams outside the top 4. Ronaldo, Vardy, Bowen and Ings. 

Next, players who have played at least 1500 mins this season (which is about 40% of the total season). In goals scored excluding penalty kicks per 90 outside the top 4 clubs the top 10 in order are as follows. 

Jamie Vardy
Cristiano Ronaldo
Maxwel Cornet
Jarrod Bowen
Emmanuel Dennis
Saïd Benrahma
Ollie Watkins
Che Adams
Danny Ings
Michail Antonio

11 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

There are 12 forwards who have scored at least 5 goals and have over 0.6 goal contributions per 90 in the Premier League this season. Only four of them play for teams outside the top 4. Ronaldo, Vardy, Bowen and Ings. 

Next, players who have played at least 1500 mins this season (which is about 40% of the total season). In goals scored excluding penalty kicks per 90 outside the top 4 clubs the top 10 in order are as follows. 

Jamie Vardy
Cristiano Ronaldo
Maxwel Cornet
Jarrod Bowen
Emmanuel Dennis
Saïd Benrahma
Ollie Watkins
Che Adams
Danny Ings
Michail Antonio

Defo worth giving 'WatkIngs' another season if we are going to stay with two up front.

I don't like the idea of selling Watkins to a direct rival like West Ham, even if it's for good money.  They are in the exact position we want to be, so should not even entertain the idea of strengthening them.  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Jamie Vardy
Cristiano Ronaldo
Maxwel Cornet
Jarrod Bowen
Emmanuel Dennis
Saïd Benrahma
Ollie Watkins
Che Adams
Danny Ings
Michail Antonio

If our system supported it, Cornet would be an absolute bargain if Burnley get relegated. 

Surprised to see Benrahma there! Didn't think he'd scored that many.

Watkins first touch and his finishing is what prevents him from joining the elite club  , but his work rate and interplay can be quite good  , he's worth having around as someone that can make defenders work and also make spaces for other attackers  ..  Imo we should most certainly keep him , unless someone on drugs offers us £60m

Ings - always looks knackered , his stock is still high enough thought that we can sell him to some mug team like Brighton or West Ham for decent money 

Davis  - 6 months ago he'd probably have been leaving by mutual consent at some point in the future .. now Forest or Norwich will have a mini bidding war from him and we should get a decent chunk of money for him 

Archer -  hard to say if he's ready for the Prem ... another season on loan might be better for him than getting splinters on our bench 

new striker - there is the obligatory Suárez link  .. tbh i don't know how he is performing and if he can still  in the prem at this age , but ibrahimović , Larrsen , Ronaldo and Cavani to name a few  have all had fairly decent veteran seasons in the prem , so he could work  .. if he was cheap and Watkins , Archer could learn from him for one season , whilst he also scores us 10 - 15 goals  , then its worth it 

but I think the club will through money at it either way , so looking forward to see what they come up with 

Also you have to remember, those stats are for the whole season. If you look at the form of Ings / Watkins since we moved to 4 3 1 2 against Brighton in Feb, they're near the top of the stats.

Watkins is over 0.5 goals per 90 in his last 12 games. While Ings has 3 goals and 4 assists in his last 9 games, 2 of those games he came off the bench. That's 1.1 G+A per 90.

What more can you really ask for. Maybe a bit better finishing from Ings is all really. Just imagine Watkins in this form and Ings hitting goal scorning form for the majority of a season

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tonyh29 said:

Watkins first touch and his finishing is what prevents him from joining the elite club  , but his work rate and interplay can be quite good  , he's worth having around as someone that can make defenders work and also make spaces for other attackers  ..  Imo we should most certainly keep him , unless someone on drugs offers us £60m

Ings - always looks knackered , his stock is still high enough thought that we can sell him to some mug team like Brighton or West Ham for decent money 

Davis  - 6 months ago he'd probably have been leaving by mutual consent at some point in the future .. now Forest or Norwich will have a mini bidding war from him and we should get a decent chunk of money for him 

Archer -  hard to say if he's ready for the Prem ... another season on loan might be better for him than getting splinters on our bench 

new striker - there is the obligatory Suárez link  .. tbh i don't know how he is performing and if he can still  in the prem at this age , but ibrahimović , Larrsen , Ronaldo and Cavani to name a few  have all had fairly decent veteran seasons in the prem , so he could work  .. if he was cheap and Watkins , Archer could learn from him for one season , whilst he also scores us 10 - 15 goals  , then its worth it 

but I think the club will through money at it either way , so looking forward to see what they come up with 

When did Brighton or West Ham become mug teams?

I mean of all the teams I wouldn’t have thought those two would be in the mug category! 

3 hours ago, Tommo_b said:

When did Brighton or West Ham become mug teams?

I mean of all the teams I wouldn’t have thought those two would be in the mug category! 

for unfathomable reasons a lot of my mates support West Ham and Brighton , so  by default I always refer to them as mug teams :) 

so , private joke  I guess ... 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, VillaChris said:

What would ease the burden is either a midfielder or wide player getting double figures.

Let's remember we had our best season last year for ages with El Ghazi hitting double figures so think everyone assumed Bailey would be that guy this season but been miles off it.

If he can get fit I'd like to think he can get 8-10 next season.

Ramsey has pretty much hit that figure this season so he's taken over from McGinn as the goal threat from central areas.

Ultimately we just don't score enough v higher ranked teams. O.k scoring 2s and 3s v Burnley, Leeds and Norwich but since Feb we've played Newcastle, West Ham, Arsenal, Spurs and Wolves. Two goals scored so simply not going to get enough points unless we score more v those teams to finish above some of them.

All teams who can stop us playing......its midfield where the issues lie offensively and defensively......get that balance right, and who knows, what we can achieve.

• 2 months later...

Man these guys missed some big chances but so did the other big name forward players in the league. It was hard watching some of these chances back. 

Anyway I’m backing our strikers to come good this season, it might not be popular but I think we’ll be fine with goals from these two. They got in the right positions and for some of the chance they weren’t bad misses to be fair.

Edited by Rustibrooks

If we didn't have Danny Ings, everyone would be saying we should go out and get a proven Premier League goalscorer like Danny Ings.

We have a proven premier league goalscorer. 

Maybe he, or Ollie isn't the problem.

Edited by pas5898
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Rustibrooks said:

Man these guys missed some big chances but so did the other big name forward players in the league. It was hard watching some of these chances back. 

Anyway I’m backing our strikers to come good this season, it might not be popular but I think we’ll be fine with goals from these two. They got in the right positions and for some of the chance they weren’t bad misses to be fair.

Some of these were great saves to be fair.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Rustibrooks said:

Jesus wept, some of those misses are criminal! Some good save but the majority... wow!  

• Like 1

We need to increase the regularity of the service they get.

If you live in a small market town the buses are infrequent and if you have to catch a bus to somewhere you get nervous and uptight about missing it, because you may not get another one for ages. In the city you're far more relaxed, because if you miss one bus there will be another along in a minute.

I think the lack of regular reliable service is a bigger problem than the quality of our strikers. 

• Like 1

The thing is with Vardy, as any FPL player will know, is that he can certainly score for 10 games in a row and he can then just as easily do nothing for the next 10 games after that. And yet, he's long been regarded as one of the best strikers in the league (and possibly still is).

Even Kane goes through frustrating dry patches. Do you think it's fair to say that outliers like Ronaldo, Suarez, and Lewandowski have lead fans to have rather inflated expectations of what to expect from a 'top class' striker?

Edited by His Name Is Death

Irrespective of what people say about our strikers.Whether its their service,or their finishing.The bottom line is.......we are NOT scoring as many goals as we should be,we are not winning all the games that we should be winning(hence 14th last season ) So,the answer is we need more goals and wins and its up to SG to find out how to do that.ATM I am not confident that he can do that,with his strange team selection and transfer policy.

Edited by PussEKatt

Â