Luc Nilis

R.Bear

Was in lower Holte that day and had a great view. He would've done a good job for us for a couple of seasons as could see he had that touch of class and Merson was in great form for us that season so would've been fun link up with the two.

Such a shame as he was also a great player for Belgium in the 90s (sorry for any Irish fan reading this) but they didn't have the quality they do now so were always limited in major tournaments.

I remember reading an interview with him a few years back and he was talking about wanting to return to VP one day, begs the question why we don't get more old players back and interview them on the pitch at half time or something? Was great when Angel and Laursen returned and did that one game in the championship.

• Like 1

It's interesting that Andy Gray says "they may have waited 6 years for this". I knew we tried to sign Nilis before he did sign but didnt know it was as early as 1995.

In another timeline we would have signed Nilis and Roberto Carlos in 1995 😪

• Like 2

On 10/04/2022 at 08:32, R.Bear said:

Obviously we all know how it tragically turned out but if Dennis Bergkamp scored that goal, they would talking about it today like they do the (inferior) Newcastle goal.

Such a frustrating "what if". Would have been a Villa legend, I'm sure of it.

Edited by maqroll

3 hours ago, Zatman said:

Was it Ronaldo that said he was his greatest teammate

Yeah best player he played with or something along those lines. He was, or was at least on his way to being genuine world class. A cultured left foot to die for. Remember thinking even then that its just typical Villa luck to get that excited over a player to having his career ended a few weeks later.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

Yeah best player he played with or something along those lines. He was, or was at least on his way to being genuine world class. A cultured left foot to die for. Remember thinking even then that its just typical Villa luck to get that excited over a player to having his career ended a few weeks later.

We're a graveyard. '86 should have been Gary Shaw's world cup, not Maradona's.

On 10/04/2022 at 16:54, R.Bear said:

It's interesting that Andy Gray says "they may have waited 6 years for this". I knew we tried to sign Nilis before he did sign but didnt know it was as early as 1995.

In another timeline we would have signed Nilis and Roberto Carlos in 1995 😪

The 6 years would have been how long it had been since we'd scored against Chelsea at home, the previous one being Taylor's header in front of the new Holte.

(How do I even know this stuff?)

Edited by Stephen_Evans
Grammar.
  • Like 2

Â