The rising cost of living

StefanAVFC

11 minutes ago, Genie said:

It’s an absolute scandal, same as the price fixing on petrol/diesel. 

Saw fuel £1.88 today at Asda Minworth and a few others at £1.92. Still plenty of BPs, Shells and EG Group garages selling at £1.99 a litre though.

On 28/07/2022 at 19:19, foreveryoung said:

Saw fuel £1.88 today at Asda Minworth and a few others at £1.92. Still plenty of BPs, Shells and EG Group garages selling at £1.99 a litre though.

Yes the price is shortly slowly dropping but it's still far too much power litre.

• Thanks 1

I got petrol for under 7zl for the first time in months yesterday. Dunno where these savings are coming from.

As for McDonalds, the prices in the UK always amazed me. In Poland they've gone up a lot over the years. A McFlurry, for example, is 9zl which is around 1.80 quid. In Germany, 3 Euros. Still 99p in the UK.

7 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

As for McDonalds, the prices in the UK always amazed me. In Poland they've gone up a lot over the years. A McFlurry, for example, is 9zl which is around 1.80 quid. In Germany, 3 Euros. Still 99p in the UK.

We might not riot with £4,000 energy bills, but increase the price of our McFlurry and we’ll be in the streets burning down shops!

Everyone saw the Brexit PM and his administration seeing Covid as an opportunity to cash in.

Thousands died as they delayed PPE intended for the likes of NHS staff and carers. A handful of people made millions.

Bit of a green light for suited vermin everywhere to rinse us into misery.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, StefanAVFC said:

I got petrol for under 7zl for the first time in months yesterday. Dunno where these savings are coming from.

The mini mcflurrys are £0.99 now, regular sized standard ones are £1.19. Regular sized special ones are £1.69

(just checked the app).

5 hours ago, ender4 said:

We might not riot with £4,000 energy bills, but increase the price of our McFlurry and we’ll be in the streets burning down shops!

3 hours ago, Genie said:

The mini mcflurrys are £0.99 now, regular sized standard ones are £1.19. Regular sized special ones are £1.69

(just checked the app).

giphy.gif

• Haha 1

I just don’t see how you can blame the war when the energy companies are still marking increasing profits.

Market conditions cause price rises, usually these are passed onto the consumer, fine, it’s what you would expect.

But when profits dramatically increase, the cost of production/transport/future purchase/insurance ect has been absorbed in the increase and the increase has been in excess of the requirement.

That then comes down to company management. However you would never deny a small company the chance the make extra when they have a commodity that people require but the impact of this is ridiculous.

The government have to step in, unfortunately it is completely against their ethos to do that to large business. 

I am now part of a generation where it is horrible hard to save for a house which far outstrips my income in value and when owning one it’s crippling to heat it while watching my £9 a month Netflix account. 

Edited by Nicho

12 minutes ago, Nicho said:

I am now part of a generation where it is horrible hard to save for a house which far outstrips my income in value and when owning one it’s crippling to heat it while watching my £9 a month Netflix account. 

All because you spend £9 a month on Netflix. Cut out that cost and owning a house becomes easy.    

(Also make sure you are born to rich parents) 🙄

Russia invades Ukraine, gas supply throttled, prices go up, it’s all understandable.

However, UK doesn’t really buy any gas from Russia so why are we getting **** by the war? We should be paying the same (give or take) as we were before. 

It’s opportunistic crooks cashing in on misery.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Genie said:

Russia invades Ukraine, gas supply throttled, prices go up, it’s all understandable.

However, UK doesn’t really buy any gas from Russia so why are we getting **** by the war? We should be paying the same (give or take) as we were before. 

It’s opportunistic crooks cashing in on misery.

Personally I think they are prempting for a loss, which hasnt actually come yet.

I very much doubt these energy companies are paying 40-50% tax as has been reported by the probable share holders. 

2 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

Oh well, I can't imagine it's anything that can't be fixed by a row about gender neutral toilets and whether or not schoolchildren are sufficiently proud of British history. 

There's always an enemy to make people forget about the people who have actually been in charge for 12 years. 

And people still fall for it. 

• Like 1

We're facing the worst economic crisis we've had in my lifetime. Hopefully this puts to bed the often trotted out bs that the Tories are the economically literate party. Without a doubt, they're by far and away the biggest contributor to the situation we all find ourselves in.

**** the Tories. They have no answer to what's going on. All they're doing is encouraging the rich to rape the poor.

• Like 2

Took out a 5 year fixed rate 2 years ago so still have 3 years left at 1.69%.

Just made sense as the rate was never going to go down much more and was always likely to rise eventually. Have to say I wasn't expecting the rate to rise so quickly, was more insurance just in case at a rate I was happy to budget with long term. 

Now I'm thinking phew. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Took out a 5 year fixed rate 2 years ago so still have 3 years left at 1.69%.

Just made sense as the rate was never going to go down much more and was always likely to rise eventually. Have to say I wasn't expecting the rate to rise so quickly, was more insurance just in case at a rate I was happy to budget with long term. 

Now I'm thinking phew. 

Similar, I took out 5 years at 1.39% about 2 years ago. Hopefully the world has settled down a bit by then.

1 minute ago, Genie said:

Similar, I took out 5 years at 1.39% about 2 years ago. Hopefully the world has settled down a bit by then.

Who was that with Dave? I was with Nationwide who are normally pretty cheapo. 

Â