TLOTR: The Rings of Power

maqroll

Seen both episodes.  It's decent so far without doing too much.  It is very impressive visually, a proper feast for the eyes on many occasions and the acting is passible for the most part.  It is very serious though, very light on the light relief, almost to the point of being dour.  Also the dialogue is a bit exposition heavy, but I think that is a feature of most of these short run shows that have to try and cram a lot of plot in quite quickly.  Overall I'd say it is very watchable and I shall be back for the next episode.

Those that feared something like the Wheel of Time need not worry, this is leagues better than that rubbish.

3 hours ago, Straggler said:

Seen both episodes.  It's decent so far without doing too much.  It is very impressive visually, a proper feast for the eyes on many occasions and the acting is passible for the most part.  It is very serious though, very light on the light relief, almost to the point of being dour.  Also the dialogue is a bit exposition heavy, but I think that is a feature of most of these short run shows that have to try and cram a lot of plot in quite quickly.  Overall I'd say it is very watchable and I shall be back for the next episode.

Those that feared something like the Wheel of Time need not worry, this is leagues better than that rubbish.

Thanks for the review.

Does it make you WANT to watch the 3rd episode immediately?  Or is the dour-ness and exposition make it not exciting enough to make it a ‘I want to know what happens next’ excitement of the next episode?

Just watched the opening episodes.

Hmm.

So obviously it's got all the money in the world thrown at it and it looks incredible. This is feature film standard production. The VFX is excellent, the costuming and props are first rate, it's shot cinematically. There's some wonderful shots and moments I love -

Spoiler

such as the Valinor return, it's just fantastic imagery.

The problem is... It's not very well written. The dialogue is aping Tolkein's style but it's not quite there, and when you aim for that style and miss, it comes off as corny, arch...  bad. It's then not helped because most of the cast is doing that portentous, knowing 'arc-ting' style that amplifies how rough the dialogue is. It comes to something that we're 2 for 2 in the term 'first light...!' being uttered in an episode, which is just ticking the fantasy boxes in the most hackneyed of ways.

Said dialogue is also not helped because there's a lot of lines being read with absolutely no weight behind them. The words are being said, but there's no feeling that those words have any meaning or conviction behind them. They're just lines too often.

There's other issues. The not-hobbits are terrible on multiple levels - the design is embarrassing (they have nature stuff in their hair? Feels simultaneously silly and token hand waving at 'indigenous cultures'), their plot is pointedly manufactured (by which I mean it's evidently there to just make it more 'LotR'-y and fill time), the 'Oirish' thing is horrendous... Just awful. Galadriel abandoning the ship to the West was an intensely stupid resolution to a corner the writing had put itself in. The establishing prologue is obscenely curtailed and it's evident that this is a story that needs set up to sell itself, but couldn't do it thanks to rights issues.

I dunno. It's not bad overall but there's plenty you could justifiably say is bad. 

Then chuck in the stuff that isn't particularly well aligned with the canon and it's... disappointing. Looks wonderful though and there's potential

• Like 2

Yeah I can get the boring comment, gets a pass because it's LOTR but it didn't do much

The acting I'm not sure, could be the script and the directing, there's weird lines delivered weirdly but I'm leaning towards that being on purpose so far because that's the feel they're going for rather than it being bad acting 

On 31/08/2022 at 18:22, leemond2008 said:

I only really bothered with reviews that gave an overall opinion or actually gave a rating, mainly positive though.

I still won't be watching, I'm just waiting for the usual war to break out now, YouTubers saying that critics have been paid to give positive reviews and highlighting how "woke" it is, only for Joe Public to review bomb it on Rotten Tomatoes and for a producer, writer or director to come out and say that it is the viewing publics fault that it is getting such a low rating only for the YouTubers to double down and say "now they are saying its our fault for being MENNNNNN"

Exactly the same pattern that has been going on since Ghostbusters 2016

image.png.0bccaed0fb8437281b8a3df29245b488.png

Glad to see they are continuing with the proud tradition of making the dwarves into comic relief and a bit silly rather than dour and serious. Bantz dwarves ftw.

It looks good, it's OK, it's not really Tolkien but it's kinda Tolkien.

The Ewoks, sorry, Hobbits, sorry Harefeet/foots I could do without.

For those who are overly upset by inclusion, diversity and girlpower then this show is not for you. Amazon has a formula and they are sticking with it. Live with it or watch something else.

Edited by sne

14 hours ago, ender4 said:

Thanks for the review.

Does it make you WANT to watch the 3rd episode immediately?  Or is the dour-ness and exposition make it not exciting enough to make it a ‘I want to know what happens next’ excitement of the next episode?

I'm interested without being excited by it. The dialogue leaves me struggling to be invested in the characters as none of them feel relatable. I'm mainly going back for the pretty pictures. There isn't much about the story that makes it compelling viewing tbh 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Straggler said:

I'm interested without being excited by it. The dialogue leaves me struggling to be invested in the characters as none of them feel relatable. I'm mainly going back for the pretty pictures. There isn't much about the story that makes it compelling viewing tbh 

I’ve loved it so far, the whole lot.  I’ve enjoyed it building the story, the characters, the effects.  I can’t understand the dour or boring comments that a couple of people have suggested but each to their own view.  I’m pleasantly surprised and looking forward to the next episode.  Brilliant so far!

• Like 1

The opening 17 minute sequence had me at the edge of my seat thinking we were in store for something spectacular. 

But after 2 episodes I'm left a bit deflated.

Nice to look at despite the terrible costume design. 

Good music. Solid acting.

But something feels off. The feeling you get when a show goes off the rails. We aren't there yet, but the plot lines are already meandering and sort of random and a bit ponderous. 

John Carew is an elven warrior, so that's cool. 😎 

I hope things tighten up and do that opening sequence justice.

21 hours ago, Chindie said:

Just watched the opening episodes.

Hmm.

So obviously it's got all the money in the world thrown at it and it looks incredible. This is feature film standard production. The VFX is excellent, the costuming and props are first rate, it's shot cinematically. There's some wonderful shots and moments I love -

Hide contents

such as the Valinor return, it's just fantastic imagery.

The problem is... It's not very well written. The dialogue is aping Tolkein's style but it's not quite there, and when you aim for that style and miss, it comes off as corny, arch...  bad. It's then not helped because most of the cast is doing that portentous, knowing 'arc-ting' style that amplifies how rough the dialogue is. It comes to something that we're 2 for 2 in the term 'first light...!' being uttered in an episode, which is just ticking the fantasy boxes in the most hackneyed of ways.

Said dialogue is also not helped because there's a lot of lines being read with absolutely no weight behind them. The words are being said, but there's no feeling that those words have any meaning or conviction behind them. They're just lines too often.

There's other issues. The not-hobbits are terrible on multiple levels - the design is embarrassing (they have nature stuff in their hair? Feels simultaneously silly and token hand waving at 'indigenous cultures'), their plot is pointedly manufactured (by which I mean it's evidently there to just make it more 'LotR'-y and fill time), the 'Oirish' thing is horrendous... Just awful. Galadriel abandoning the ship to the West was an intensely stupid resolution to a corner the writing had put itself in. The establishing prologue is obscenely curtailed and it's evident that this is a story that needs set up to sell itself, but couldn't do it thanks to rights issues.

I dunno. It's not bad overall but there's plenty you could justifiably say is bad. 

Then chuck in the stuff that isn't particularly well aligned with the canon and it's... disappointing. Looks wonderful though and there's potential

Agree with much of this. The "Caribbean-esque" music when they show the Hobbity village is very weird.

Edited by maqroll

On 03/09/2022 at 12:09, nick76 said:

I’ve loved it so far, the whole lot.  I’ve enjoyed it building the story, the characters, the effects.  I can’t understand the dour or boring comments that a couple of people have suggested but each to their own view.  I’m pleasantly surprised and looking forward to the next episode.  Brilliant so far!

I say dour because in the main the characters are all so serious and a bit one note. It's all furrowed brows and serious looks, even friendship and family is a serious endeavour. The lightness/charm/relatability that Sam, Merry and Pip brought to the movies is noticeably absent from this show. Gandalf especially could be warm, charming, cheeky, funny, serious, powerful and scary at times. It is helped that he was wonderfully portrayed in the movies. 

I don't want to be too down on it as I am enjoying the show enough to come back. I'd just like better dialogue. 

• Like 1

Still only on 6.6 on IMDB despite Amazon continually removing all the 1/10 ratings (but keeping the 10/10). They own the site so they can do whatever they want I guess and the 1/10 ratings are troll ratings of course (possibly because they killed that troll in ep 1).

This was always going to be a show that the purists and the usual suspects hated. Hopefully it can still be a good show thou, but I'm not expecting anything special. Looks mostly good but the dialogue and characters doesn't feel Tolkien at all to me.

Loving all of Neil Gaiman's replies on twitter to all the random people defending Elon Musk for saying Rings of Power was bad and telling Gaiman he made an awful show. 

Loads of better tweets but can't link as they all contain swear words by the Elon Musk nutters. 

• Like 1

Â