TLOTR: The Rings of Power

maqroll

Pretty good end to the season, seems like some people online got pretty upset around the season. It's been solid but not spectacular which will probably not be what Amazon wanted. 

• Like 1

Good enough for me. I’m intrigued enough to want to watch another series of this, and I have no particular issues with it. Nothing really stands out as very good, either, except perhaps some visuals, but it’s perfectly fine as far as entertainment value goes. 

• Like 2

Just finished Ep6.  Dragged for a few episodes but just started getting good.

So first there was a baddie called Morgoth. He fought the elves and lost.  But he had a minion called Sauron. Sauron was in the war and then disappeared. But ever since, the elves think he’s coming back especially because orca are appearing from somewhere. 

Meanwhile a kid (who might be the kid of a lone elf who has the hots for humans) find a piece of sword.   

Do I assume the sword is Morgoth or Sauron’s?

The Uruk steals the sword and somehow swaps it for a hammer when no-one is looking. Nobody checks to see they actually have the sword. The sword starts a volcano eruption because it’s really a key. 

Finally there are hobbits who wander around doing nothing.

There is also an alien who fell from the sky. He has magic abilities but also amnesia. 

Is this all correct? I feel like I’ve not understood it very well so far.

55 minutes ago, ender4 said:

Just finished Ep6.  Dragged for a few episodes but just started getting good.

So first there was a baddie called Morgoth. He fought the elves and lost.  But he had a minion called Sauron. Sauron was in the war and then disappeared. But ever since, the elves think he’s coming back especially because orca are appearing from somewhere. 

Meanwhile a kid (who might be the kid of a lone elf who has the hots for humans) find a piece of sword.   

Do I assume the sword is Morgoth or Sauron’s?

The Uruk steals the sword and somehow swaps it for a hammer when no-one is looking. Nobody checks to see they actually have the sword. The sword starts a volcano eruption because it’s really a key. 

Finally there are hobbits who wander around doing nothing.

There is also an alien who fell from the sky. He has magic abilities but also amnesia. 

Is this all correct? I feel like I’ve not understood it very well so far.

Spoiler

In the beginnings of the world there was an evil god who sought to destroy and befoul all of creation, called Morgoth. The Elves waged a great and devastating war against him and eventually he was defeated. However, his greatest follower, Sauron, who was himself also a supernatural being, vanished. 

Thousands of years pass and the Elves have mostly become complacent in their searching for the final remnants of evil, with only a few still wary that Sauron was not brought to justice. One of them, Galadriel, is so obsessed with this quest for revenge she's become single minded and blind to all other matters, such that higher ranking elves are concerned she will bring harm to their people in her quest, so try to get rid of her by sending her back to the Elves homeland, the land of the Gods that some of their ancestors left and which only those invited can return to. She doesn't agree and ends up rejecting this invitation in a catastrophically stupid way.

She ends up going to an island nation of Men, Numenor, a place Elves are not welcome in, which causes some political wrangling as Numenor is going through a moment of instability as it's king is dying and there's a growing populist sentiment. Galadriel figures for sure Sauron is in Middle-Earth because he (maybe) left a map, she manages to get the Numenorians to go find and fight him.

The sword isn't really important. It's an evil MacGuffin.

There are also the ancestors of hobbits in the world. They haven't settled in the Shire yet and are instead nomadic nature folk. They are here to make it more LotR-y.

The alien is a mystery to keep you watching. There are hints to their true nature. Some are possibly red herrings.

It's not much cop.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 18/09/2022 at 09:45, CVByrne said:

The one thing? 🤣 Show is full of bad writing. My explanation

Hide contents

The writers want the audience to trust Halbrand, so saving Galadriel makes them trust him. This will increase their surprise when he turns out to be Sauron. 

This is the same writers that had Galadriel jump into the ocean with what a plan to swim back to Middle earth!? 

Nail on head. 

Well. it was rather entertaining for a non Tolkie like myself. I enjoyed the first 3 films very much and thought Hobbit was a bit dull.

I'm mostly pleased with myself that I sussed Sauron out early. I never get those things right. That might be a slight minus on the writing-team though :)

Will probably watch "season 2 the dwarf rings", and "season 3 the nazgul, sorry, human rings"

• 3 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

Well that's got to suck. Worth a try I guess. :D

In April of this year, Polychron attempted to sue the Tolkien Estate and Amazon (for $250 million!), claiming that The Lord of the Rings: Rings of Power TV series infringed copyright on his book. (This court document reveals letters Polychron wrote to Simon Tolkien – it makes for fascinating reading.) This case was dismissed by a judge – but Polychron had been unwise to draw such attention to his writing. The Tolkien Estate in turn filed a lawsuit to prevent distribution of Polychron’s derivative book, and the six sequels he had planned. Here’s what the Estate’s official press release tells us, about the conclusion of this extraordinary tale:

The Estate of JRR Tolkien has been successful in two lawsuits concerning a book named The Fellowship of the King by US-based author Demetrious Polychron.

Polychron published and commercially promoted the book, which he claimed to be “the pitch-perfect sequel to The Lord of the Rings.”

In Judgments issued by Judge Steven V. Wilson on December 14, the Court awarded the Tolkien Estate summary judgment on its claim, granting a permanent injunction which prevents Polychron from ever distributing any further copies of The Fellowship of the King, his planned sequels to that book, or any other derivative work based on the books of JRR Tolkien. He is also required to destroy all physical and electronic copies of his book and to file a declaration, under penalty of perjury, that he has complied.

The Court also awarded attorney’s fees totalling $134,000 to the Tolkien Estate and Amazon in connection with Polychron’s lawsuit, which the Court found to have been frivolously and unreasonably filed.

https://www.theonering.net/torwp/2023/12/19/117331-tolkien-estate-successful-in-copyright-infringement-case/

• 5 weeks later...

A big batch of rumours about the next series have come out, and, err, ooft.

Spoiler

Amazon have apparently got agreement to use some of the Silmarillion explicitly, apparently, and it seems the series is going to adapt the creation of Arda and some of the First Age Morgoth story. Which is good.

They're also doing a bunch of Sauron the Maiar it seems, possibly from his perspective, giving his history.

Gandalf appears in his Maiar form and is apparently shown as nearly being convinced to follow Sauron's thinking.

But then there's the bad. Sauron has a son(?!) who is murdered by Adar (...?!).

A whole episode dedicated to the Mearas, the super good horses that Shadowfax was derived from, for reasons known only to the showrunners.

Tom Bombadil and Goldberry appear! And are played by the same actors who play Morgoth and Ungoliant (how do you have an actor play a giant spider?... Sit down Monolith), apparently implying that their punishment was... to live not far from the Shire as oddly powerful completely incongruous entities.

Sauron will have some kind of dealing with the dwarves where they are said to be taken in by his saying he was an apprentice of Aule. Which is particularly weird because, iirc, Sauron in the books basically fails to engage with the dwarves much at all. And this has echoes of the Annatar story which the first series outright rejected.

Sauron will also take on the persona of Celeborn and try to receive Galadriel again, which leads to a dilemma.

Which I hope is mostly nonsense, but I could see a lot of that being done. To be honest the only bit I could see being total nonsense is

Spoiler

Bombadil, because that's **** mental.

Hopefully nonsense, but if it isn't, ooft we're on for a stinker.

Â