TLOTR: The Rings of Power

maqroll

1 minute ago, CVByrne said:

Apple is in the streaming service now too. It's becoming a crowded market, especially in US. 

in the states theres netflix, apple, amazon, HBO max, disney, peacock, paramount just off the top of my head, maybe hulu do something independent of disney too

ive got netflix, amazon and disney and i should probably drop amazon and pick up now tv

6 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

in the states theres netflix, apple, amazon, HBO max, disney, peacock, paramount just off the top of my head, maybe hulu do something independent of disney too

ive got netflix, amazon and disney and i should probably drop amazon and pick up now tv

I've got Netflix, Amazon and Apple TV. We also have Disney but it's not our subscription. 

I spend more time on YouTube than all of them combined. 

7 hours ago, CVByrne said:

I've got Netflix, Amazon and Apple TV. We also have Disney but it's not our subscription. 

I spend more time on YouTube than all of them combined. 

We have Netflix, Prime and Disney but 95% of the stuff they make is awful. Strangely miss the days when there were only 5 channels as there always seemed to be something to watch and it didn't take 20 minutes to find. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, sne said:

A pyroclastic cloud is roughly 1,000 °C (1,800 °F) hot. Things gotta make at least a little sense even in made up worlds.

Yeah that one got me, it was a bit daft

That episode in general was just OK, unfortunately because I'd seen ign give it a 10/10 I was expecting more, had its moments and was the best episode so far but again wasn't top tier must see office water cooler chat TV

There's just something missing with all of it

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Yeah that one got me, it was a bit daft

That episode in general was just OK, unfortunately because I'd seen ign give it a 10/10 I was expecting more, had its moments and was the best episode so far but again wasn't top tier must see office water cooler chat TV

There's just something missing with all of it

Quite a lot of Easter eggs (lazy writing) in this ep. Only 15 mins in and already we've had the ISILDUR! ISILDUR!! shouts from the fellowship opening. Galadriel giving a almost word for word speech to the one she gives in Lothlorien and our protagonists hiding under a ledge/tree from a searching Sauron crone with his friend stopping him from drawing his sword/putting on the ring that we had when the hobbits escaped from the Shire..

I know some people love these kind of stuff, I don't.

9 minutes ago, sne said:

Quite a lot of Easter eggs (lazy writing) in this ep. Only 15 mins in and already we've had the ISILDUR! ISILDUR!! shouts from the fellowship opening. Galadriel giving a almost word for word speech to the one she gives in Lothlorien and our protagonists hiding under a ledge/tree from a searching Sauron crone with his friend stopping him from drawing his sword/putting on the ring that we had when the hobbits escaped from the Shire..

I didnt notice any of that 😂

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sne said:

They're not Easter eggs. They're just rebooting LotR like they did with Force Awakens copying a New Hope. It's soft reboot. Like the stupid sword key that moves a rock in a dam having characters drawn to its power. 

It's just really bad writing is all. 

1 hour ago, CVByrne said:

They're not Easter eggs. They're just rebooting LotR like they did with Force Awakens copying a New Hope. It's soft reboot. Like the stupid sword key that moves a rock in a dam having characters drawn to its power. 

It's just really bad writing is all. 

If you dislike the show this much why keep watching it? 

7 hours ago, Rds1983 said:

If you dislike the show this much why keep watching it? 

See my post on the previous page October 1st. I find the show fascinating for many reasons. 

The whole future of streaming model. The giving of massive budget to two inexperienced show runners. The state of creativity in modern film/media. The injection of political ideology into that media. How  critic reviews are part of the marketing process.

It's fascinating to watch because Amazon apparently have hinged a lot on this. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

See my post on the previous page October 1st. I find the show fascinating for many reasons. 

The whole future of streaming model. The giving of massive budget to two inexperienced show runners. The state of creativity in modern film/media. The injection of political ideology into that media. How  critic reviews are part of the marketing process.

It's fascinating to watch because Amazon apparently have hinged a lot on this. 

Fair enough. Not sure I'd have the time or patience to watch a hours and hours of a show I thought was very poorly done. I stopped watching after a few episodes. 

3 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

Fair enough. Not sure I'd have the time or patience to watch a hours and hours of a show I thought was very poorly done. I stopped watching after a few episodes. 

How do you feel about this season of Aston Villa? ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

OK, for some reason youtubes algorithm must think that I absolutely hate Rings of Power, I am constantly getting bombarded with videos saying how bad the program is, probably my fault as I've watched a few of them.

I have just tried looking on the other side of YouTube for some positive reviews of the show and I can't find a single one, I actually struggled to find any that just said that it was mediocre.

Regardless of how Amazon try to spin it, I can't see as though it has been anything other than a disaster for them, they can't have planned to pump this much money into it just for some people to say "meh, its alright" while the majority of the viewers seem to be hate watching it 

2 minutes ago, leemond2008 said:

OK, for some reason youtubes algorithm must think that I absolutely hate Rings of Power, I am constantly getting bombarded with videos saying how bad the program is, probably my fault as I've watched a few of them.

I have just tried looking on the other side of YouTube for some positive reviews of the show and I can't find a single one, I actually struggled to find any that just said that it was mediocre.

Regardless of how Amazon try to spin it, I can't see as though it has been anything other than a disaster for them, they can't have planned to pump this much money into it just for some people to say "meh, its alright" while the majority of the viewers seem to be hate watching it 

This guy is fairly neutral I think and does a good job covering the episodes.

3 minutes ago, leemond2008 said:

I wouldn't look to much into YouTube algorithm. There's more money to be made in criticising bad shows than there is in any positive review breakdowns. People engage with the negative more. 

It's certainly been close to a disaster for Amazon and they fully deserve it. They made a lot of poor choices with the primary being the inexperienced show runners and the warning signs with Tolkien Scholars being fired from the show. 

6 minutes ago, sne said:

This guy is fairly neutral I think and does a good job covering the episodes.

You just won't get neutral. As these Lord of the Rings channels that existed before the RoP and go in depth into the lore were the ones the show runners got flow out to Oxford to help turn the narrative. Plus the show is going to increase their number of views they get so they are making money too by being positive tinged. 

It's the modern world where controlling the narrative is they key, reviews are a key part of that. It's just a more polarised world these days. 

3 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

You just won't get neutral. As these Lord of the Rings channels that existed before the RoP and go in depth into the lore were the ones the show runners got flow out to Oxford to help turn the narrative. Plus the show is going to increase their number of views they get so they are making money too by being positive tinged. 

It's the modern world where controlling the narrative is they key, reviews are a key part of that. It's just a more polarised world these days. 

And still, that guy is neither hating on the show nor lauding it.

8 minutes ago, sne said:

And still, that guy is neither hating on the show nor lauding it.

Yep, that's my point, despite me being completely neutral I can't find the real positive reviews on it even when I go hunting

19 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

I wouldn't look to much into YouTube algorithm. There's more money to be made in criticising bad shows than there is in any positive review breakdowns.

100% I just thought it was interesting the sheer volume of hate that it is getting, I can't imagine it being worthy of the hate and going off the people on this site (who are more trustworthy than the paid reviewers) it is mediocre at best which is probably worse than it being absolutely terrible, to pump that sort of money into something and have 99% of the viewers just be completely apathetic towards it must be a real kick in the bollocks for them.

Â