TLOTR: The Rings of Power

maqroll

21 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

What I don't get is it looks like they've told Lenny Henry to put a funny English accent on... Why not just stick with the one he's got? 

Hobbits ain't Yam-Yam. Or something.

3 hours ago, Chindie said:

Hobbits ain't Yam-Yam. Or something.

The mountain trolls in The Hobbit always sounded a bit yam yam or brummie to me

16 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

The mountain trolls in The Hobbit always sounded a bit yam yam or brummie to me

The trolls in the Hobbit are supposed to be Cockney (certainly in the book), although they're all voiced by Kiwi actors who don't quite get three accent right (not that it matters really).

• Like 1

His accent just sounds like he's whispering to me, which he is, and it doesnt give away where he's from. If he was told to just speak normally then he's not much of an actor 

Whether his accent is anything like what they've asked of him is another matter, but clearly they didn't want him to sound like a brummie. Is it wrong of them to cast a brummie in that role ?

8 hours ago, MrBlack said:

His accent just sounds like he's whispering to me, which he is, and it doesnt give away where he's from. If he was told to just speak normally then he's not much of an actor 

Whether his accent is anything like what they've asked of him is another matter, but clearly they didn't want him to sound like a brummie. Is it wrong of them to cast a brummie in that role ?

I don't think it's "wrong" just a bit weird

I took it as being targeting the larger US market, they've purposefully asked him to put a relatively unusual English accent on (which you're right he's whispering and it's only short so it's hard to hear what he's doing - I thought it was carrot cruncher) but he has a relatively unusual English accent anyway so why not just use that! 

If he can do it then he can do it so it won't really matter, I'm not fussed about Henry more that they seemingly didn't want brummie in the show which given he's a hobbit and the shire is based on brum / Worcestershire is a bit amiss IMO 

But also completely overthought and ultimately meaningless 

Edited by villa4europe
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Chindie said:

Teaser for the next trailer.

Warning - contains black people who do not necessarily look like they're evil. Including Lenny Henry.

Can't believe all you lot are talking about is Lenny Henry being in this teaser, and the accent he's speaking in. Surely the bigger news is that they've changed the name to Anillos de Poder, it's a **** disgrace, what does it even mean 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, hogso said:

Can't believe all you lot are talking about is Lenny Henry being in this teaser, and the accent he's speaking in. Surely the bigger news is that they've changed the name to Anillos de Poder, it's a **** disgrace, what does it even mean 

I should have noted that this trailer is 'exclusive' to Prime video, so the YouTube videos are all uploads from around the world by random people, with the English ones getting pulled down quite quickly :)

I grew up around the corner from Len. Albeit 15 years afterward. 

I know it's cool to slag him now, but I still reckon he's a good bloke. More of a cockney now than a yam yam like me, but still OK. 

7 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

I grew up around the corner from Len. Albeit 15 years afterward. 

I know it's cool to slag him now, but I still reckon he's a good bloke. More of a cockney now than a yam yam like me, but still OK. 

My Dad used to go to school with him and played cricket on the green after school. Always said he was a good chap.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Straggler said:

F me it looks like they went to a convention, got a load of people in cosplay and told them to watch a frisbee go across the room. 

Does it make it sound any better if, instead of a frisbee, you know that that is almost certainly either Sauron or one of the wizards?

Edit- scratch that it's Sauron. Wizards aren't until third age.

Edited by Chindie

9 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Does it make it sound any better if, instead of a frisbee, you know that that is almost certainly either Sauron or one of the wizards?

Edit- scratch that it's Sauron. Wizards aren't until third age.

Nope.  Not bothered what they are supposed to be looking at if the ultimate effect is that you can see the 'acting' happening. It has all the intensity of what it is, a bunch of people in costume looking at a tennis ball on a stick.  It just looks so cheap.  The only way this can be saved is by some really high quality writing, as they don't seem to have spent the budget on how the thing looks.  I suspect, sadly, that all the budget went on the IP.

I think the budget went on the production to be fair - for TV the stuff we've seen so far is extremely high end, possibly even unprecedented. Both CGI and sets, costuming etc.

The cast is... who knows. I do think this teaser kinda hangs them out to dry because it's been constructed to create a very artificial scenario with no context (it's bloody difficult to convey 'watching' a shooting star without it looking a bit am dram). There's bits of Jackson's films that could be made to look very hokey if you edited it poorly. And most of that cast was pretty unknown or jobbing character actors, to varying degrees. This is similar.

It'll live and die on the script. They are working with thin stuff and it's stuff that does not lend itself to making a TV series, meaning they have to make a lot of new material to hang off the bare framework they've got. The indications aren't great as to their adherence to Tolkien's style (Galadriel warrior princess, proto hobbits, elf/human relationship, the importance of 'Durin' to the dwarves) And they've had to bin off things like the sheer timescales involved.

But it might be alright. There is cool stuff they can cover. Sadly the really good stuff they can't.

Wish I could be but after having seen what they did with their Wheel of Time adaptation I just can't.

Fully expect this to be Galadriel warrior princess with her being emotional and rash and not having any man (or elf) telling her what to do going on adventures and kicking a**. And the rest being some sort of half arsed Willow/Ewok adventure story with the not hobbits learning about the bigger world and getting into trouble taking up far too much time.

Sure it will look nice thou.

Edited by sne
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, sne said:

And the rest being some sort of half arsed Willow/Ewok adventure story with the not hobbits learning about the bigger world and getting into trouble taking up far too much time.

Sure it will look nice thou.

Is that part a problem? Sounds like it could be fun!

Just now, ender4 said:

Is that part a problem? Sounds like it could be fun!

Depends on how much time it takes up. The less stuff the writers have to make up themselves the better imo. 

I know there is a lot of stuff they do not have the rights to use but I still want them to focus on the source material as much as possible.

Â