Best single game performance

Guest av1

I’m just watching the Baggies game on TV at the moment, and whilst he is absolutely shot to pieces my mind wonders back to when Newcastle hammered us 6-0 at their place in 2010 when Andy Carroll was absolutely unplayable. 

It gave me the idea for a thread, what is the best single game performance you have ever seen from a Villa player? 

Sadly a couple of years before my time, but given the circumstances I’d imagine Spink in Rotterdam will be up there for many? 

Maybe not the best (would need longer to think) but two memorable ones. 

Yorke's hat-rick at St James Park. We lost 4-3. The Toon had Shearer and Ferdinand, but Yorke was different gravy that night. Had one disallowed as well, which was borderline. 

Carbone's debut. Best debut from a Villa player. He was superb. 1-1 the games was I think. Gutted we never signed him.

• Like 1

Grealish vs Liverpool last season was incredible

Benteke got a hat trick in a midweek game I think was QPR or West Brom to get a 3-3 draw

Friedel had a great game vs Chelsea once after he did make an early blunder but we won and they must have thrown 20 shots at him

Robbie Keane at Wolves

• Like 1

Ashley Young in the 5-1 against Blues.

Absolutely incredible. 

What a day that was. The Adventurers was rocking after the game.

Managed to miss my flight home the next morning after falling in to bed around 5am but I'd do it all again in a heartbeat to see a game like that again. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Keyblade said:

There was a game in our first season back against Brighton at home where Jack was completely unplayable. Even set up the stoppage time winner.

Benteke against Liverpool at Anfield.

A wildcard: Jean Makoun away at Old Trafford is still one of the most accomplished midfield performances I've seen at Villa. Think it was something like 94 passes with 90% accuracy and 4 successful tackles. His calmness on the ball and ability to play one-touch had me so excited about his Villa career. Good thing Alex McLeish came along and decided he wasn't a fan of this pass and move nonsense and shipped him out immediately.

I remember that well - it was absolutely perplexing that he didn't get a shot after. 

When you look at others, it's like anyone who speaks French and plays CM doesn't get trusted for some reason. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, gaffer85 said:

Best single performance I've ever seen is from a little person called Paul McGrath but he wasn't wearing a villa shirt at the time, it was in the world cup 94 v Italy, 

My God what a performance he was everywhere,

Let's not forget the performance against Romania when he marked a so called ' Hagi ' out of the game.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

Brian Little getting a hat - trick at Highbury against QPR in the League Cup, semi - final replay.

I can still remember the headlines in the next morning paper, " Little by Little by Little ". What a player he was to watch, and has any ex player loved the club more ?

Yes, that was a great night and Brian walked on water for sure that evening! 

On our former players, whilst I agree 100% with Brian, I think that Eric Houghton, Peter McParland, Johnny Dixon, Charlie Aitken and more recently Ian Taylor also merit a mention. 

• Like 3

He was a Newcastle player back then but Shay Given with Phillpe Albert vs us in a 1-0 at our place. So long ago so hard to remember exactly everything but those two were ridiculously good, we were bang on the money that game and were all over them but they almost contained us, an absolutely masterclass in goalkeeping and defending.

Mark Bosnich  - Sunderland away league cup in I think 92/93. 

They absolutely pummeled us for 90 mins but we won 1-4. I just remember Bozzie being hilariously good in that game. 

Just found this write up from a Sunderland supporter:

https://rokerreport.sbnation.com/2019/7/7/18715349/tales-from-the-stands-safc-1-villa-4-1993-bosnich-the-villain-as-lads-get-sucker-punched

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, John said:

Yes, that was a great night and Brian walked on water for sure that evening! 

On our former players, whilst I agree 100% with Brian, I think that Eric Houghton, Peter McParland, Johnny Dixon, Charlie Aitken and more recently Ian Taylor also merit a mention. 

They probably should have awarded him the League Cup that year  

• Like 2

Â