Best single game performance

Guest av1

Nothing better than a player growing in confidence during a game, and sensing the responsibility for a good result is on their shoulders. Then taking the game by the scruff of the neck.

It's what made Luis Suarez world class, he did it most weeks.

One that wasn't mentioned yet which has always stood out to me was Gabby's hat trick against Man City where he scored with both feet and his head.  He legitimately looked like he was developing into a superstar and got his England call up shortly after that.  

• Like 2

7 hours ago, lexicon said:

I remember that well - it was absolutely perplexing that he didn't get a shot after. 

When you look at others, it's like anyone who speaks French and plays CM doesn't get trusted for some reason. 

Looking back, it's actually kind of hilarious how we went from MON-ball, as successful as it was, to Houllier trying to completely change the culture of the club to be a fitter, passing team...which fair enough. But the kicker is that when he had to step down, instead of bringing someone who would continue his work...we got...Alex McLeish. We were so poorly run it was unreal.

I was actually excited about the direction of the club under Houllier, even though he was getting dogs abuse in many corners. That appointment just killed any enthusiasm I had for Villa. But the media narrative was that it was because he was from SHA, and not that he was a kick and rush draw-merchant.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Looking back, it's actually kind of hilarious how we went from MON-ball, as successful as it was, to Houllier trying to completely change the culture of the club to be a fitter, passing team...which fair enough. But the kicker is that when he had to step down, instead of bringing someone who would continue his work...we got...Alex McLeish. We were so poorly run it was unreal.

I was actually excited about the direction of the club under Houllier, even though he was getting dogs abuse in many corners. That appointment just killed any enthusiasm I had for Villa. But the media narrative was that it was because he was from SHA, and not that he was a kick and rush draw-merchant.

Yep, I remember that well. I found it odd at the time that we didn't keep GMac on since he seemed to be continuing Houllier's work and things were picking up at the end of the season.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

When you tried to explain to someone that Eck would have us run out with a back four of Cuellar, Dunne, Clark, & Lichaj with Hutton and Warnock playing as wingers and Heskey playing CM, they wouldn't believe you...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, KMitch said:

When you tried to explain to someone that Eck would have us run out with a back four of Cuellar, Dunne, Clark, & Lichaj with Hutton and Warnock playing as wingers and Heskey playing CM, they wouldn't believe you...

Spurs away, *shudders*.

• Like 2

A niche one, but I though Bennet was incredible when we beat Chelsea in 2014 (the Delph goal game).

That was a great night game at VP, and considering Bennet was never a prolific player, he went above and beyond his abilities.

• Like 3

One i will put forward that i have never forgotten was the 2 -1 away win at Fulham when they were playing at Loftus Road. Midweek game . Nobby Solano had only just signed for us. Bocanegra assaulting Delaney . Peak DOL . I just remember watching beautiful passing football with Solano just making things click.  Was just wonderul . Even the fact that Angel and Vassell scored one each with the initials A V. 

One game the world has forgotten but i never will. I love that about Football. 

7 hours ago, villa82 said:

Petrov debut.

I was going to say this.

I thought we'd signed an absolute worldie!

Don't get me wrong, Petrov went on to be a great player for us. But my word, after that debut I thought we'd signed Messi. How he didn't get on the scoresheet is beyond me

• Like 1

Â