Match Thread: Newcastle v Villa

limpid

1 minute ago, nick76 said:

This is pathetic, I just can’t even comprehend and that Martinez/Mings mix up at the end just summed it up for me.  

Not one player played at least average rating that half.

Got to be one of the poorest halves we’ve had this season.

Up there with the Arsenal game, only thing is Newcastle haven’t been good,  simple instructions for Howe, let villa play and their bound to do something stupid and give us a chance.

Good news is we have only gone in 0-1 down so there is plenty of scope to improve and still take the game. If I was a Newcastle fan I would be a bit distraught they haven’t made more of their advantage.

The big problem for Gerrard is there are about 6-7 players who need to come off.

Gonna enjoy half time before the shit begins again!

Edited by briny_ear

Lose valiantly to the big boys and lose pathetically to the poor teams. So who do we actually win against and control the game.

New bounce gone, the mentality of this squad is awful. No desire, no fight, no responsibility. And yes, some of that comes from our captain but the squad as a whole. Watkins and Luiz are weak physical and mentally too.

I'm not surprised, I said this weeks ago. Just weak. We won't make top half this season.

The talk about ”no excuses” is about to come back and bite Gerrard in the arse.

I still believe we have some good players, but where is the passing game? We don’t even try to play through midfield against Newcastle, just hoof and chase second balls (which we lose).

We’re basically a more expensive Burnley but with less fight.

I don’t think we can play this narrow forwards formation and expect Ramsey McGinn to press out wide with Douglas Luis in that middle role, he is to casual not athletic or physically strong enough that’s without him hiding from the fullbacks as I mentioned in my post about the goal

3 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Watkins is the least of the problems. The midfield has been dire. Coutinho had hardly had the ball. 

Midfield 3 getting run over again. Sanson for McGinn please. He looks lost in this role. 

This needs to be one of those games where Newcastle are like FFS I can't believe we lost 3-1 they were there for the taking in first half and we didn't take advantage. Something we've said a lot over the last 10 years! 

We all know what will really happen though is sod all and will probably lose 2-0

2 minutes ago, punkiller1981 said:

Ramsey really ?? The one midfielder with the drive to get forward and also work. Some people have short memories 

Short memories? Hes having a bad game. Form has nothing to do with it just tactics. Stop making it out like its a witch hunt.

Edited by avfc1982am

I've said this a lot this season...  but that was one of the worst halves of football we've played so far...

• Watkins is a shadow of himself last season when he ran every ball down and won most longballs up to him
  • McGinn is having his worst performance in a Villa shirt tonight
  • Douglas Luiz doesn't know if he's supposed to be playing as a 6 or an 8
  • Cash made a few good runs down the right, but his lack of end product was on full display all half
  • JJ, Coutinho, & Buendia all missing because of the tight marking and/or booting the ball over their heads to a lazy Watkins
  • Defense is shambolic.  Nobody is on the same wavelength and we're lucky to only be 1-0 down.  

Lots to sort out, but TBH, it looks a lot like the same things are still happening when we lost 5 in a row under Smith.  No energy, no off the ball movement into space to try to create a pass for the person in possession with the ball, and way too many long balls to nobody in particular.  

• Like 1

Just wondering when it's ok to question the abilities and potential of this manger?

There's no system or style, individual performances seem to be regressing throughout the side and we have no clue anyone how to keep a clean sheet.

Possibly time to wonder if doing well in the SPL is an indicator of a good manager or not.