Summer Transfer Window 2022

Loxstock92

Well that's obvious. Suppose atleast we're trying and hopefully moving on quick (assuming Carlos wasn't the second option to Koulibaly as he's already done)

He may not be quite as incredible as he was before but they were turning down like €70m for him not so long ago. Was always an insane target. 

Aim high though I suppose

Edited by HalfTimePost

5 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

I can only imagine we’d want Milner to help the younger players and then step into a coaching role.

absolute solid professional and has to be one of the best players in the Premier League. 

Shall we get Barry and Downing back too...

We need to get rid of Young not add to him.

But I do agree he has had a fabulous career 

Edited by paul514
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, paul514 said:

And Bailey, Digne and Buendia (when arsenal were confirmed to have bid for him)

Hmm less so, Bailey was a good name and a bit of a coup. But Digne at Everton and Buendia at Norwich are where we should be signing. We did very well to get them as the quality of the players is better than where they were and whether it was the selling club (Everton) or the competing buying club (Arsenal) we exploited them at the right time to secure a good deal and very good player...

But I wouldn't say either of them were far ahead of our current station in the way Coutinho and Kamara are, we literally got them from worse performing clubs than us

Edited by HalfTimePost

Just now, HalfTimePost said:

Hmm less so, Bailey was a good name and a bit of a coup. But Digne at Everton and Buendia at Norwich are where we should be signing. We did very well to get them as the quality of the players is better than where they were and whether it was the selling club (Everton) or the competing buying club (Arsenal) we exploited them at the right time to secure a good deal and very good player...

But I wouldn't say either of them were far ahead of our current station in the way Coutinho and Kamara are, we literally got them from worse performing clubs than us

Bailey was as much of a name as Carlos.
Digne was rated in the top ten left back in the world
Buendia was confirmed to have been subject to a big bid from a Sky 6 team

7 minutes ago, HalfTimePost said:

Well that's obvious. Suppose atleast we're trying and hopefully moving on quick (assuming Carlos wasn't the second option to Koulibaly as he's already done)

He may not be quite as incredible as he was before but they were turning down like €70m for him not so long ago. Was always an insane target. 

The reason no one has brought him every summer for god knows how many years is the expectations from the player AND the club.

Massive fees and massive wages, low and behold he is still there and now 30.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I've always loved Milner if I'm honest 

Could he ay a bridge role for a year, allowing for Iroegbunam to continue getting experience and being mentored and ready for next season?

Could be more lazy Bollox anyway 

He could probably do a job for a year. But I'm not sold on the idea of bringing in a number of short-term solutions.

It could make sense if we were more or less certain we had players to fill those positions a year from now. But even though Archer, Iroegbunam and JPB are very promising there's no guarantee any of them will actually make it, and not within one or two years.

Unless those players are ready relatively soon, signing short term solutions would risk being a waste of time. A couple of new young players will (hopefully) come along every season and if they're good enough they'll get in the team eventually. IMO it doesn't make sense to sit and wait.  

Edited by VillaParkAvenue
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

He could probably do a job for a year. But I'm not sold on the idea of bringing in a number of short-term solutions.

It could make sense if we were more or less certain we had players to fill those positions a year from now. But even though Archer, Iroegbunam and JPB are very promising there's no guarantee any of them will actually make it, and not within one or two years.

If those players aren't ready relatively soon, signing short term solutions would risk being a waste of time. A couple of new young players will (hopefully) come along every season and if they're good enough they'll get in the team eventually. IMO it doesn't make sense to sit and wait.  

JPB - Are we excited by him anymore? I don't even see where he can play for us now Gerrard has changed the system and he hasn't lit up the Championship.

That James Milner thing is more clickbait from the Birmingham Mail, Jason McAteer said something along the lines of if Milner leaves Liverpool he probably wouldn't up somehwere like Arsenal, Chelsea or Man City, and then said 'maybe Aston Villa'.

If you see a tweet saying that such and such a player has been tipped to sign for such and such a club it's usually clickbait based on something a pundit or a ex player has said and then been twisted to make an headline.

3 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

Maybe just maybe the Joe Gomez link was just lazy media links because of Liverpool and Gerrard. Imagine my shock. 

It was all a cover for Mane coming to us 😂

I'd not say no to a year of James Milner + transition to a coaching role.

He's always been a model pro and unlike other ex-Villans has always been respectful of the club and talks very highly of us when asked.

He's certainly preferable to another year of Ashley Young, anyway, if Gerrard fancies an old head in the squad for morale and mentoring.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, est1874 said:

He's always been a model pro and unlike other ex-Villans has always been respectful of the club and talks very highly of us when asked.

He's certainly preferable to another year of Ashley Young, anyway, if Gerrard fancies an old head in the squad for morale and mentoring.

Nicely put

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

Unless those players are ready relatively soon, signing short term solutions would risk being a waste of time. A couple of new young players will (hopefully) come along every season and if they're good enough they'll get in the team eventually. IMO it doesn't make sense to sit and wait.  

I get your point about older players filling a gap if we have a young player following but not quite ready. I think tough this could also apply in the wider sense, with regards to where we as a club are at the moment. We finished 14th last season and for all the promise and potential we’re not where we want to be yet. Attracting players, no matter how good the sales pitch is, is harder without some level of European football. 

If one or two older but top quality players can come in and improve us in the short term and get us up the table/win a cup or both then in 12 months time with European football secured we then have that to offer. Then hopefully the level goes up again and we can consistently finish in the European places. 

People are too quick to compartmentalise policy. I think in general we are looking to develop young players and that helps in the long term and to some extent with sustainability as well as bringing income in the short term with players we decided to release. Buying quality players of any age will always be helpful. A team of 30+ year old players will only last so long and a squad of 20 year olds is unlikely to have the experience required to win enough matches in the here and now. As ever and in most things, it’s about balance. I think with recent additions and those potentially coming in by next season we should have achieved a reasonable balance to the squad. 

1 hour ago, HalfTimePost said:

The audacity of us is impressive to be fair.

Also fair play to him for staying " true * to his professional aspirations I guess 

Unless this is just player speak for " I'm waiting for an elite club to come in for me "

23 minutes ago, est1874 said:

Just as an aside, I used to take my dog to the same kennels as James Milner did when he was still at Villa Park. I never bumped into him but the guy who owned the place was previously a pig farmer. He was a bit of an old character and insisted on calling JM Jimmy, who always corrected him and told him his name was James. Billy stuck resolutely to using Jimmy and in turn JM, without fail, corrected him. I’m pretty sure it became a game. 

Petrov also used to take his dog there too. Billy always said both of them were absolute gentlemen. Stan Petrov would sometimes have his children with him and they we’re always immaculately dressed and had perfect manners. He made a point of telling Billy that just because he was a footballer with money, it was important to him that his kids knew how to behave properly and not be spoilt brats. 

Billy, the kennel owner, I doubt  would have had a clue who either of them were, if another customer hadn’t told him. But he had nothing but praise for both of them. I think their down to earth qualities were what most surprised and impressed him. 

• Like 1