Summer Transfer Window 2022

Loxstock92

46 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

This should cheer everyone up

😭

I'm confused. The big clubs of Europe don't normally sell for profit. The clubs that do sell mainly for profit are usually called "selling clubs".  That used to be a dirty word around here. Over the last 10 years Villa is 9th for net spend in the entire world. Over half of that net spend has come since our PL return. 

The owners are spending money.  Thankfully, they also seem to be doing it in a sensible manner. We can either be sustainable or go for broke and redo the Lerner years again. I enjoy a good transfer signing like anyone else but those years of barely skirting relegation and then the drop are something I never want to repeat again. 

jxku544rfvk91.jpg

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, one_ian_taylor said:

Not that  many I'd  guess - but it's  what we need to do to improve our standing. 

Checked - since we were promoted according to Transfermarkt,  4 clubs have made a transfer profit,  but it's  not great reading as 3 of them are Burnley, Watford and Bournemouth.  The other is of course  Brighton. 

Teams making a small loss are West Brom, Norwich and then after that it's  the likes of Palace, Southampton, Leicester, Brentford and even Liverpool. 

All suggests that it's  pretty hard to turn a profit and do well. However...

We are down near the bottom (20th out of 25 teams). I get that we needed a lot of investment after promotion, but it does feel that we've wasted a lot for the amount of progress we have had, given that pretty much all of our  mod table rivals are doing better on transfers and - for the time  being - playing better football too

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

didnt see much of him at norwich but from what i did see he was really slow on the ball, to coin a NFL QB term it was like he was going through his progressions, he didnt pick the first pass instantly which as a cliche is obviously the best pass he looked at 5 team mates before going back to the first pass and it killed them

He’d fit right in at Villa then.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Lord Willard said:

What decent player is going to pick us over other options at the moment?

Ridiculous comment.

It’s a massive club that’ll pay wages second only to the top 6. Manager who although he’s proving to be a tactic clown still has huge name recognition. Opportunity to play in a newly upgraded ground soon. World class training facilities. Biggest club in the region.

I’m not saying the league situation at the moment isn’t bad but have some perspective.

8 minutes ago, Lord Willard said:

What decent player is going to pick us over other options at the moment?

There are lesser clubs than us, making big signings.

It's all about the intent.

Plus we are only 4 games into the season so the " gloom " isn't as big of a factor as people would like to make out, for players i mean.

The same way Kamara and Carlos were sold, are the same way we can sign others.

Just being in the PL is a massive draw itself.

33 minutes ago, Rightdm00 said:

I'm confused. The big clubs of Europe don't normally sell for profit. The clubs that do sell mainly for profit are usually called "selling clubs".  That used to be a dirty word around here. Over the last 10 years Villa is 9th for net spend in the entire world. Over half of that net spend has come since our PL return. 

The owners are spending money.  Thankfully, they also seem to be doing it in a sensible manner. We can either be sustainable or go for broke and redo the Lerner years again. I enjoy a good transfer signing like anyone else but those years of barely skirting relegation and then the drop are something I never want to repeat again. 

jxku544rfvk91.jpg

I think the issue is that our spending hasn’t produced comparable results on the pitch over that decade.

34 minutes ago, Rightdm00 said:

I'm confused. The big clubs of Europe don't normally sell for profit. The clubs that do sell mainly for profit are usually called "selling clubs". 

The problems is that we are a selling club which doesn't often make a profit. Worst of both. 

31 minutes ago, ender4 said:

I think the issue is that our spending hasn’t produced comparable results on the pitch over that decade.

It's gotten us promoted and cemented back in the PL. No easy task as the yo-yo clubs show us season after season. It hasn't pushed us on to Europe but that was never going to be easy given our starting point. 

Edited by Rightdm00
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Nabby said:

We have spunked all the cash on high salaried established players so we can say look we are massive we brought Ings / Carlos /Digne ,that's why we have run out of wiggle room.

We've got 4 of what you've described at max.

West Ham have blown 182 mill just this window. Those players will be on massive wages.

So i refuse to believe this.

There are other things at play here.

You make it seem like we have 14 players on 350 k per week.

• Like 1

At least Gerrard is consistent and following through on his word, he said he would fix our midfield and he is.

He doesn't seem to play with anyone in midfield looking at the average position maps, he may sell Luiz and loan Sanson, all part of the plan, why have midfielders when we dont need or play with a midfield?

Big brain stuff going on.

Also, looking at the average position maps, looks like the strikers will be out of the door next.

Edited by MaVilla

8 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

We've got 4 of what you've described at max.

West Ham have blown 182 mill just this window. Those players will be on massive wages.

So i refuse to believe this.

There are other things at play here.

You make it seem like we have 14 players on 350 k per week.

Isn't their capacity 20k more than ours currently and newer owners who have new owner spending leeway ?