Summer Transfer Window 2022

Loxstock92

9 minutes ago, OLDVILLAIN said:

I swear it feels like we are the only club consistently buying players(disregard  kamara and Carlos) that we cant sell on..The old regime in charge have a lot to answer for

Completely agree.

And now we're stuck with a big squad with a fair few players on high wages who contribute nothing.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, OLDVILLAIN said:

I swear it feels like we are the only club consistently buying players(disregard  kamara and Carlos) that we cant sell on..The old regime in charge have a lot to answer for

I’m sure we’re not, we just don’t go through other teams squads to see their cast offs. 

26 minutes ago, OLDVILLAIN said:

I feel it has something to do with not selling players whilst they are still useful.

The classic example is El Ghazi

54 minutes ago, OLDVILLAIN said:

This has been discussed previously. We are in a bit of no man's land when it comes to transfer where to achieve our ambitions  we have to pay top dollar to acquire proven talent and then really cannot sell our fringe players as the Championship and European transfer market has pretty much collapsed.  

2 minutes ago, nepal_villan said:

This has been discussed previously. We are in a bit of no man's land when it comes to transfer where to achieve our ambitions  we have to pay top dollar to acquire proven talent and then really cannot sell our fringe players as the Championship and European transfer market has pretty much collapsed.  

That’s the problem. The financial gulf between the PL and pretty much any other league is now huge. 

5 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

That’s the problem. The financial gulf between the PL and pretty much any other league is now huge. 

On top of that, other mid-table and lower table PL sides are either going to buy the best players from relegated sides or the fringe players from the top 6 teams. They surely will not buy the worst players from another mid/lower table club.

Edited by nepal_villan
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, OLDVILLAIN said:

Everton are a lot worse than us for this. Players like Delph, Walcott, Schneiderlin, Sigurdsson(they werent getting any money for him) Iwobi just off top of my head probably cost 150 million and struggled to ship on

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OLDVILLAIN said:

With the amount of players Forest are buying, I can see them being in the same position in 2-3 years. Sure, some of them will be hits but there will be some misses aswell.

Leicester also struggling to shift a few before they can buy. I’d say United are going to be stuck with a fair few until their contracts run out because who are going to take on their wages. Id say it’s a common problem.

• Like 4

We’re in this weird landscape given the rest of Europe is basically broke where the only players you can sell are players that would be nailed on starters elsewhere in the league, or your best players going to a better team than you.

None of our players that are surplus to requirements are likely to be nailed on starters elsewhere in the league.

The model most clubs are following is to just acquire as many “good bets” as possible - meaning buying plays with potential that can come good. Problem is you will be left with a lot of players that don’t pan out and that you can’t sell on. Particularly anyone over 25. So it feels like you are blowing a bunch of money, when really you have 1/3 players that you gambled on that become a rock solid nailed on starter and 2/3 (maybe) with a residual value of close to zero.

At our level, those ones that do come good we can’t sell on for a profit without weakening the side. 

Edited by ChicagoVillan1983
Typo
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Pissflaps said:

I guess we will make do.Mings, Konsa & Chambers.

If Cash gets injured it's Young at RB. 

Unless Feeney is ready to step up. It is what it is.

Young at RB for more than a game would be crap, and the Mings / Konsa pairing has failed too many times to count.

For such a big squad we seem to have a very small number of players to actually choose from.

I can't see Gerrard being overly happy sticking with what we currently have.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

Young at RB for more than a game would be crap, and the Mings / Konsa pairing has failed too many times to count.

For such a big squad we seem to have a very small number of players to actually choose from.

I can't see Gerrard being overly happy sticking with what we currently have.

That's because we have wasted most of the money.

3 hours ago, OLDVILLAIN said:

It's where we were at the time we bought them.  For example, when we got promoted, we needed to bring in a whole squad of players just to survive.  We have moved on but many of those players haven't and whilst we would have loved to have signed better players back then, we weren't a big enough pull at that stage to do so.  I am guessing that we also had to offer half decent wages just for them to come to the club.