Summer Transfer Window 2022

Loxstock92

4 minutes ago, WHY said:

Kamara can also play CB, he started his career there. He dropped back to CB against Rennes. It’s not ideal but can be used there if needed. 

It just breaks the midfield all over again though as it's Luiz or Nakamba back again so no improvement over last season.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jacketspuds said:

Young at RB for more than a game would be crap, and the Mings / Konsa pairing has failed too many times to count.

For such a big squad we seem to have a very small number of players to actually choose from.

I can't see Gerrard being overly happy sticking with what we currently have.

Know what you mean, but we got 55 points two seasons ago. With much worse players.

Anyone can spend spend spend and get better players in.

Would be nice if we could become equal to, or even exceed the sum of our parts with a decent gameplan.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Know what you mean, but we got 55 points two seasons ago. With much worse players.

Anyone can spend spend spend and get better players in.

Would be nice if we could become equal to, or even exceed the sum of our parts with a decent gameplan.

I'm still wary of the 2020/21 comparisons, given that it was played almost entirely behind closed doors. I feel like we're exactly the kind of side who benefited from that.

Also, we only finished 11th that season. Obviously better than last season's 14th but there are incredibly small margins at lower mid-table anyway.

53 minutes ago, Mantis said:

I'm still wary of the 2020/21 comparisons, given that it was played almost entirely behind closed doors. I feel like we're exactly the kind of side who benefited from that.

Showed it's possible though.

This team is undoubtedly better than that one, we can all agree. Finishing with much less than 55 doesn't feel acceptable to me.

53 minutes ago, Mantis said:

Also, we only finished 11th that season. Obviously better than last season's 14th but there are incredibly small margins at lower mid-table anyway.

Agreed. We need to just focus on performance, with that, you can build.

The aim is top 10 and there are loads of coaches around who could get us there. Gerrard could be one, definitely. Playing like we have against Bournemouth and Everton we'll be 14th or lower IMO.

1 hour ago, thabucks said:

If you believe the papers Djbril Sow & Houssem Aouar are reportedly both close to signing for Forest. Djbril Sow isn’t a bad shout for us tbf. 

According to FBRef, we already have him. 

Screen Shot 2022-08-14 at 8.03.03 PM.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, thabucks said:

If you believe the papers Djbril Sow & Houssem Aouar are reportedly both close to signing for Forest. Djbril Sow isn’t a bad shout for us tbf. 

Aouar would be the better fit

34 minutes ago, trillvillan said:

If Watkins were to actually be sold - what are the chances to get Ivan Toney? 

I think the latter is class. I'd throw serious money and I bet we can offer double the wages Brentford pay him. 

He wouldn't be welcome at Villa after his stupid celebration and reason for it last season

• Like 1

11 hours ago, OLDVILLAIN said:

I swear it feels like we are the only club consistently buying players(disregard  kamara and Carlos) that we cant sell on..The old regime in charge have a lot to answer for

Because we don’t sell at the right time. Sell while your player is playing. Not after benching him and showing everyone he’s not wanted. El Ghazi for example  should’ve been sold after we finished 11th. We kept him while know he’s 4th or 5th choice. 
Add to that the wage issue. 

• Thanks 1

Honestly it's crazy if Aouar goes to Forest. I said he's a player we should go for, he's available on the cheap, and would be much better than McGinn or Ramsey for games we want to control the ball. We could easily get him over newly-promoted Forest, but no we'll just sit back and do nothing like we have most of the summer.

Our transfer window hasn't even been good in reality. With Carlos now injured we've only actually improved our first team by one player compared to last season's sh*tshow. Same issues in midfield and up front. Not sure what is going on with our lack of activity but I'm 99% sure we won't bring anyone else in. Very disappointing.

2 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

Honestly it's crazy if Aouar goes to Forest. I said he's a player we should go for, he's available on the cheap, and would be much better than McGinn or Ramsey for games we want to control the ball. We could easily get him over newly-promoted Forest, but no we'll just sit back and do nothing like we have most of the summer.

Our transfer window hasn't even been good in reality. With Carlos now injured we've only actually improved our first team by one player compared to last season's sh*tshow. Same issues in midfield and up front. Not sure what is going on with our lack of activity but I'm 99% sure we won't bring anyone else in. Very disappointing.

The bloated squad to blame perhaps? Or maybe it really isn't compared to other teams?

Still, I assume our wage bill needs a bit of a trim. 

But I agree, we haven't really been splashing this summer, and the net effect I terms of players in the first 11 is certainly not massive now with Carlos out, possibly for the season.

4 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

Honestly it's crazy if Aouar goes to Forest

Its odd that no bigger team has taken a punt on him. 

11 minutes ago, daft said:

The bloated squad to blame perhaps? Or maybe it really isn't compared to other teams?

Still, I assume our wage bill needs a bit of a trim. 

But I agree, we haven't really been splashing this summer, and the net effect I terms of players in the first 11 is certainly not massive now with Carlos out, possibly for the season.

According to Transfermarkt there are 9 teams with bigger squads than ours including Forest's so I'm not sure that can be used as an excuse. 

How on Earth are we expected to challenge for European football with such little improvement on paper compared to last season even if we did underperform under a rookie manager (who is still here).

The club just says one thing and means another as far as I'm concerned. If they watched either of our first two games they'll know it's going to be a long season if we continue to be inactive before August 31st.

• Thanks 1