Summer Transfer Window 2022

Loxstock92

3 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

It really feels like all this is true and obvious to everyone. And yet, Gerrard manages to not see it. Surely he can't be that ignorant,  so what is he seeing that noone else is?

He manages like it's 1990.

Be a man. Take responsibility.

Copies formations/systems be sees the good teams have with no idea how to implement them.

14 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Those four have put £100m onto the wage bill. Add that into the transfer fees. Outside Kamara, any return we get from those guys must be on the pitch. They must succeed quickly. Otherwise it's a waste of time.

Do you think they're on 500k each per week? I believe Digne is on 125k.

4 hours ago, Rustibrooks said:

Definitely a good player there, I think Tuchel's tactics have nullified the way he plays when I have watched him play for Chelsea. He'd be a good option for us if we want to play with width. 

Gerrard tactics would nullify the way he plays for a different reason. 

• Sad 1

13 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

Do you think they're on 500k each per week? I believe Digne is on 125k.

£120k a week. £6.2m a year.

Four x four year contracts. £99m.

We have guaranteed to pay out somewhere between £85m-115m. We need a return on that ON the pitch.

51 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

£120k a week. £6.2m a year.

Four x four year contracts. £99m.

We have guaranteed to pay out somewhere between £85m-115m. We need a return on that ON the pitch.

Yeah but the quote was 100m per year!

1 hour ago, DakotaVilla said:

He’s been given everything?

He’s only signed Digne, Coutinho, Kamara and Carlos as significant transfers and recouped a lot of that from targett and carney with more sales likely to come. The transfer fee we would probably get for Kamara alone would probably cover the rest. 

Targett, Carney and Trez combined were probably on 75k a week. 4 big signings are easily on a 120k a week each

9 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Targett, Carney and Trez combined were probably on 75k a week. 4 big signings are easily on a 120k a week each

You can add Hourihane's 40k per week to that. Also Young probably took a pay cut. 

Edited by Philosopher

So far all we've done is add two starters to a team that finished fourteenth last season, and sold our best academy player, not only our best academy player, but our best academy player since Grealish, and somone that would have played a big part next season. If we want to attract Pochettiono we need so show much more ambition, another two top class players required at least

• Like 2

2 hours ago, villabromsgrove said:

I can't argue with the amount of money that our owners have spent buying new players. Their support has been impressive ....but .... I do have an issue with the way we've spent that money.

If you look at our current squad I think it's "bloated" to quote SG. Unfortunately we've duplicated playing positions with footballers who are too similar.

We should have started with a template for a successful Premier League team, including such design necessities as aggression, physicality, technical ability, height for key positions, pace and manoeuvrability in other positions, etc, etc.

Instead we've bought some good players who will never add up to a complete Premier League first team.

We've been happy to spend 20/30 million on a number of excellent players, but if we'd bought two 40/50 million pound players rather that three 20/30 million pound players in a summer transfer window, we would be a lot closer to a first eleven that picked itself (barring injury of course).

At the moment we can sit for hours arguing over what our starting team should be, because of the "bloated'' numbers of midfielders and CB's and other positions such as strikers where we have three under six foot, who don't have the aerial ability that Gerrard needs if we're going to put 30 plus aerial crosses into the box.

So where does that leave us? We can literally put out two 'first teams' of similar quality, but neither is good enough to take the much talked about "next big step". We have some good players but they will not fit SG's chosen system as we can't back them up with players that have height and physicality. 

Scouting isn't just about identifying footballing ability, it's also about getting a perfect balance of smaller tricky players, tireless runners and big, ruthless and aerially dominant players. Sadly our team and squad balance is way off.

I don’t agree.

it is the early mon years repeating itself.

you have to buy transition players to stay in the league then replace them. That is what we have been doing.

50 million pound players don’t join Villa when they are promoted or after they have stayed up by the skin of their teeth so the first opportunity to do what you have said is last summer and this one.

So my question to you is who wouldn’t you have brought that they did. I wouldn’t have brought a few of them that’s for sure.