Summer Transfer Window 2022

Loxstock92

24 minutes ago, paul514 said:

Average wage is 60k now I can see someone paying him 6 figures and 20m to us

What!? For Daniel William John Ings? Who? Name one club.

Twenty million non-european English pounds. Good grief.

More chance of Buendia being named captain.

• Haha 1

Are we actually signing anyone else? I see no real holes in our squad right now, just dangerous levels of bloating from all these players that we've outgrown. There must be about 7-8 players we could ideally do with moving on still. 

• Like 3

I'm not clicking into the posts made by the guy with the H&V logo as his avatar, but stats from WhoScored etc do not take into account game-changing errors every game (apart from OGs), as they have no metric for when someone kicks air instead of clearing the ball, or passes directly to the opposition, or gets caught way out of position up the pitch and can't get back in time to track a run. All things Mings has done, on multiple occasions in some cases, to cost us precious points.

But sure, if we're ignoring all that and purely going by the stats which measure everything else he does, then yeah, he's clear of our other CBs who haven't been routinely gifting goals to the opposition in the most avoidable ways possible for the last couple of seasons 👍🏻

Edited by est1874

I don't think that, as fans, we know how to properly rate players defensively. People think Mings makes more mistakes than others, but is that because he does, or is it that mistakes made 10 yards in front of your own goal are far more noticeable?

When a midfielder or attacker makes the same mistake 75 yards away from the goal and it leads to a counter, or a chance, we don't hold it against them the same way we will if the defender is too slow getting back afterward.

I think Mings is fine. I don't think he's brilliant. I don't think he's awful. I think he's an above-average Premier League center back.

8 minutes ago, skarroki said:

Are we actually signing anyone else? I see no real holes in our squad right now, just dangerous levels of bloating from all these players that we've outgrown. There must be about 7-8 players we could ideally do with moving on still. 

We don’t have any major holes in our squad, but a top Level CM would be a benefit, also a CF.

but yeah, we need to sell to buy… the bomb squad and maybe some first teamers... Ings and one of Sanson or Douglas Luiz  

12 minutes ago, skarroki said:

Luiz is not long here - I'd replace him this window not next - Carney is a dick so another we need to swap - if we can find a striker better than we have that too but I don't think it's possible. 

26 minutes ago, skarroki said:

Gerrard has said we are looking at the midfield so I think we will see at least one more in. Perhaps a striker as well. 

We do need to trim the squad down though - plenty of players that we need to move on. 

Edited by Xela

1 hour ago, est1874 said:

I've seen Carlos do it on the Champions & Europa League stages, something that - sorry - Tyrone Mings will never do.

Konsa had a wobbly season. He's shown us enough beforehand to demonstrate how good he can be. Mings hit his ceiling in our promotion season, Konsa hasn't hit his yet.

Chambers is the one wild card, to be fair, however I've seen enough to convince me he's worth playing ahead of Weekly Senile Brainfart.

Konsa was poor last season. He never seemed to adapt to playing in front of crowds again, which is a shame as he was doing well prior to that. I hope he can get back to his prior form but based on last season, Mings is ahead of him. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nick76 said:

It’s not about depth it’s about quality.  We definitely need a new CF and CM.  

I don’t think we definitely do and not at this moment in time. If we can have a push into the top 9 or 8 this year, which I think this squad is capable of achieving then maybe next summer we go big for a top class striker and midfielder.

12 hours ago, skarroki said:

Steer (maybe keep for the last year of his contraçt as emergency 3rd choice keeper. Sale value negligible).

Hause (injured so not much chance of selling him now. 5th choice centre back. Resale value ~ £5 - 10 million).

El Ghazi (5th choice winger/ attacking midfielder. Resale value ~ £5 - 10 million).

Davis (4th choice striker. Resale value ~ £10 - 15 million).

If we decide to use Kesler-Hayden and Iroegbunam in the squad, rather than going on loan this season, then you could potentially add Guilbert and Nakamba to that list but anything more than ~ £5 million for either would be lucky indeed.

Selling any other players without replacing them would be a bad idea so the likes of Sanson and Traore (both of whom are great squad players) should only go if we buy new top players in their positions! Other than that we have some youngsters who should go out on loan and Ashley Young, who is only really in the squad to exist, not play often. That's two players really worth selling this summer. Hardly dangerous levels of bloating in the squad. We have two players for every position, plus Young, Davis, Hause and El Ghazi. Getting El Ghazi and Davis off the wages will help but is not going to stop us buying anyone else.

Any new addition to the club should be a clear improvement on who is there already. We can focus on pure quality now. Then sell off the squad player they replace.

Edited by Monkeypuzzle
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, VillaHatesMe said:

I don't think that, as fans, we know how to properly rate players defensively. People think Mings makes more mistakes than others, but is that because he does, or is it that mistakes made 10 yards in front of your own goal are far more noticeable?

When a midfielder or attacker makes the same mistake 75 yards away from the goal and it leads to a counter, or a chance, we don't hold it against them the same way we will if the defender is too slow getting back afterward.

I think Mings is fine. I don't think he's brilliant. I don't think he's awful. I think he's an above-average Premier League center back.

Paolo Maldini: "If I have to make a tackle then I have already made a mistake."

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

I don’t think we definitely do and not at this moment in time. If we can have a push into the top 9 or 8 this year, which I think this squad is capable of achieving then maybe next summer we go big for a top class striker and midfielder.

Why not improve the squad now if you can? I don't understand. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, skarroki said:

The only "bloat" is leftover players from the Championship days. SG wanted to create competition for spots and that means a big squad. SG's quote that players in the second half showed that they want to be in the starting XI says it all.

Most people around here have players they like to complain about...Mings, Ings, Watkins, McGinn, Dougie, Coutinho...well, they all have competition now.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, TomC said:

The only "bloat" is leftover players from the Championship days. SG wanted to create competition for spots and that means a big squad. SG's quote that players in the second half showed that they want to be in the starting XI says it all.

Most people around here have players they like to complain about...Mings, Ings, Watkins, McGinn, Dougie, Coutinho...well, they all have competition now.

Most of the bloat is from our first season back in the prem and the season after. AEG, Marv, Freddy, Wesley, Hause, Sanson, and Traore. Only Davies and Steer came before… way before 

In terms of competition, only Traore, Sanson and maybe Nakamba, are in the mix from this this list, the rest are duds 

Edited by CarryOnVilla

2 hours ago, est1874 said:

I'm not clicking into the posts made by the guy with the H&V logo as his avatar, but stats from WhoScored etc do not take into account game-changing errors every game (apart from OGs), as they have no metric for when someone kicks air instead of clearing the ball, or passes directly to the opposition, or gets caught way out of position up the pitch and can't get back in time to track a run. All things Mings has done, on multiple occasions in some cases, to cost us precious points.

But sure, if we're ignoring all that and purely going by the stats which measure everything else he does, then yeah, he's clear of our other CBs who haven't been routinely gifting goals to the opposition in the most avoidable ways possible for the last couple of seasons 👍🏻

There's metrics for the likes of errors, miscontrols, dispossessions and so forth provided by FBRef though which would quantify what you're talking about, all of which Konsa had more of on average last season than Mings did.

1 hour ago, maqroll said:

Why not improve the squad now if you can? I don't understand. 

Because maybe we can’t do it right now as we have too many players on the payroll or perhaps the targets aren’t available or aren’t willing to come to us, despite popular belief these days, you can’t just have everything now because you want to.

3 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

What!? For Daniel William John Ings? Who? Name one club.

Twenty million non-european English pounds. Good grief.

More chance of Buendia being named captain.

Was in pub and SSN were claiming Salernitana had bid 15m for Maupay.

No idea if they've recently been taken over but seems a bit odd that team who were all but relegated from Serie A until great escape suddenly have that amount to spend on mid table prem striker so there are some clubs out there although more likely loan deal.