Summer Transfer Window 2022

Loxstock92

If we let Davis go, who’s the ST/CF we’re bringing in (do we need one?). I’ve got suggestions for the CM and left sided CB but I’m at a loss for a forward. People seem a bit cold on Jonathan David. 

Any of the big guns would cost a fortune (Osimhen, L. Martinez). I quite like Gouiri at Nice but is he better than Watkins/Ings, I’m not sure.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, useless said:

We weren't interested in him anyway as confirmed weeks ago by Tommy Jordan our Communications Director, but Sonny Perkins is going to Leeds.

Confirmed we’re signing Ponny Serkins then.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, est1874 said:

Not buying Bailey and Ings for over £60m (before wages) would have been a start really. Imagine if we'd just purchased, you know, a really good attacker who's not a crock or over the hill instead. We'd have had a much different season, that's for sure.

Sorry to repeat what I've said before, but Ings had more goal contributions per minute than anyone else on the team last year. He was underused by both Deano and SG. Bailey was out completely or less than fully fit most of the season and could still come good.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, TomC said:

Sorry to repeat what I've said before, but Ings had more goal contributions per minute than anyone else on the team last year. He was underused by both Deano and SG. Bailey was out completely or less than fully fit most of the season and could still come good.

Damning with faint praise, that 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, est1874 said:

Hindsight is a wonderful thing indeed, as it's all we have to measure by ultimately. 

Not buying Bailey and Ings for over £60m (before wages) would have been a start really. Imagine if we'd just purchased, you know, a really good attacker who's not a crock or over the hill instead. We'd have had a much different season, that's for sure.

We've dropped a fortune the last few seasons. Martinez, Cash and Digne were top signings. None of the rest has had a huge impact, and yes that includes The Magician himself, who got tired of magic tricks with several games left to play and just started making balloon animals. And even then Emi Buendia, who I feel bad for tbh, couldn't get much of a sniff. At least Coutinho didn't cost us anything in terms of up front fees.

Sorry I'm not as optimistic as some, but I just can't look past a lot of wasted money when other clubs we should be competing with have bought well and gone from strength to strength in that time (Arsenal, Spurs, Palace, Newcastle). 

I mean I kind of agree with you WITH HINDSIGHT.   

However, there was no crystal ball and so the decision makers had to make calls without future knowledge.  It could have worked and it could have failed.
Unfortunately, it didn’t work out. 

However, other calls such as McGinn, Cash, Martinez were fantastic gambles.  

You win some and you lose some. The aim is probably to get 70% correct and we might be slightly lower at 50-60% correct so far.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TomC said:

Exactly. Both signings that the fans were delighted with at the time. Ings had an amazing amount of goal contributions in the time he played and that was with a lot of his wayward finishing which surprised me. 99% of fans were delighted that Bailey signed and couldn’t believe we got him. It was incredibly unfortunate that he spent most of the season injured after having a decent injury record previously. It was always going to be a season of transition after our talisman left, whom pretty much was our game plan, to integrate all the new players. 

3 hours ago, burchy said:

If we let Davis go, who’s the ST/CF we’re bringing in (do we need one?). I’ve got suggestions for the CM and left sided CB but I’m at a loss for a forward. People seem a bit cold on Jonathan David. 

Any of the big guns would cost a fortune (Osimhen, L. Martinez). I quite like Gouiri at Nice but is he better than Watkins/Ings, I’m not sure.

I’d be happy to keep archer, I don’t see us replacing either Ings or Watkins and an upgrade sets you back 50/60

It's amazing how the teams in the Premier League that are basically reduced to spectators because of the power of the big 6, still like to make the bigger clubs richer by massively overpaying for their squad players. You've got Soton buying Man City reserves, that would never play for them, for a fortune, having done the same with a Chelsea youth player the year before, Bournemouth did it with Liverpool players for years and now Wet Spam over bidding for Broja. 

Like paupers throwing their life savings at the rich in order to be allowed to root through their bins for scraps. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

Onana looks an absolute monster. If West Ham signing him means we sign Soucek, I'll be disappointed.

Huh? Is that a rumour?

I'd be appalled if that plays out. Lange can't be that stupid.

• Like 1