Summer Transfer Window 2022

Loxstock92

5 hours ago, zak said:

Seriously, everyone, a free transfer is not actually free! It would only be nominally cheaper than buying a player from a club. 

Is that you Doug ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, bose said:

We are usually very, very quiet on transfers. It will be out of the blue like usually. We are not done.

I don't know how you can say that.

We have a squad of excellent players and have added 2 who most likely be first team starters.

But getting players better than we have won't be easy - esp as we can't offer European football.

I'd rather go with what we have than waste money on a few headline grabbers

• Like 2

5 hours ago, zak said:

Seriously, everyone, a free transfer is not actually free! It would only be nominally cheaper than buying a player from a club. 

It’s a lot cheaper mate, for example Mbappe got £100m for signing his new PSG contract, I’m guessing this was more than Madrid were willing to pay. If Mbappe were to be sold with 2/3 years on his contract you would have to pay at least £200m.

6 minutes ago, hippo said:

I don't know how you can say that.

We have a squad of excellent players and have added 2 who most likely be first team starters.

But getting players better than we have won't be easy - esp as we can't offer European football.

I'd rather go with what we have than waste money on a few headline grabbers

Nobody says it’s easy? I expect Lange and co are working hard behind the scenes.

It’s also not a question of not singing anyone or signing a “headline grabber”.

We have a very good squad but I still think the management and transfer team  will want to add more competition.

1 hour ago, MaVilla said:

we have gone very, very quiet on transfers.

I no likey.

like we did with transfers like chambers and ings that we shouted from the rooftops and had the media talking about them for days and days leading up to the announcement?

57 minutes ago, messi11 said:

Lets see how much pull Stevie Gerrard really got. Born winner. Can we afford his wages? 

Might have a bit of a Luiz/Lehmann situation with this one, could be hard to get across the line

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bose said:

We are usually very, very quiet on transfers. It will be out of the blue like usually. We are not done.

I think we’re locked so tight and the press know so little, to a point that everyone knows that posting made up stuff is just that, made up. Therefore unless it’s genuine stuff from the very few that are occasionally given little bits, the chancers get called out and lose any credibility that they may have had in the first place. 

Well done NSWE for running such a tight ship but it’s a bit frustrating and boring for us. Still we get nice surprises eventually. It’s not like we wait for the whole window and then swoop for Eric Djemba Djemba on the last day. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, zak said:

What do you mean? Why's that incorrect. There would have been numerous clubs after him and if they all value him at 20m then they'll offer close to that value to get him and their agent will pick for it. 

If Villa wanted him as first choice and valued him at 20m but Newcastle also wanted him and offered 15 m, you don't think villa would offer 17m. Villa would still get a player they value at 20m for a 3m discount. However if Newcastle also valued him at 20m they'd probably offer 18m and so on. 

It's a free market with sellers (agent &player) and buyers (teams) and so his price will be at market equilibrium. Obviously there are factors that change this (i.e cut price to a preferred team) but probably not by much in this case.

When buying from a club it's not really a free market if a team doesn't want to sell a player and that's why price can be above market equilibrium. That difference is the money you save on free transfers

I initially disagreed with your position but I find your argument very convincing. Maybe there's some FFP or fairness issues that might throw in a wrench in there but otherwise, I completely agree.

Your last paragraph is the key though. It could be a massive difference leading to a much cheaper total fee. 

Edited by Laughable Chimp
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, WHY said:

It’s a lot cheaper mate, for example Mbappe got £100m for signing his new PSG contract, I’m guessing this was more than Madrid were willing to pay. If Mbappe were to be sold with 2/3 years on his contract you would have to pay at least £200m.

They are paying him £1m a week too, not sure he’d be getting that if they’d paid £200m for him?