Rodrigo Bentancur

Delphinho123

13 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

It's good to be ambitious, but I do wonder if there's a bit of a danger of getting a reputation for taking on daft transfer attempts. We've tried Smith-Rowe, Ward-Prowse, Phillips and Bentancur all in the last twelve months or so, and all were never going to happen.

You don't win the lottery if you don't buy a ticket and IMO there was more chance of signing those types of players than winning the lotto!

40 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

It's good to be ambitious, but I do wonder if there's a bit of a danger of getting a reputation for taking on daft transfer attempts. We've tried Smith-Rowe, Ward-Prowse, Phillips and Bentancur all in the last twelve months or so, and all were never going to happen.

Equally we got Digne, Coutinho and Kamara over the line and I'd have thought those would never happen either.

7 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Equally we got Digne, Coutinho and Kamara over the line and I'd have thought those would never happen either.

Mmm. Digne we got just due to Benitez being an idiot really, and I'm not particularly impressed by getting Coutinho, I'm sure Barcelona were happy for him to go out on loan. Kamara I agree is an impressive signing that might have been 'out of our league' in some way.

36 minutes ago, dubbs said:

You don't win the lottery if you don't buy a ticket and IMO there was more chance of signing those types of players than winning the lotto!

This is true, but there are two potential costs IMO. The first is opportunity cost, that if we spend time pursuing impossible signings we don't spend the time getting possible ones over the line (maybe we could make that argument re centre mids over the last 12 months, including Bentancur?) The second is that we might end up looking ridiculous, and that top players might come to regard us as a bit of a joke. To be honest I think the first is a bigger risk than the second - money is money, at the end of the day - but I'd at least be a bit concerned about these possibilities.

Just now, HanoiVillan said:

Mmm. Digne we got just due to Benitez being an idiot really, and I'm not particularly impressed by getting Coutinho, I'm sure Barcelona were happy for him to go out on loan. Kamara I agree is an impressive signing that might have been 'out of our league' in some way.

This is true, but there are two potential costs IMO. The first is opportunity cost, that if we spend time pursuing impossible signings we don't spend the time getting possible ones over the line (maybe we could make that argument re centre mids over the last 12 months, including Bentancur?) The second is that we might end up looking ridiculous, and that top players might come to regard us as a bit of a joke. To be honest I think the first is a bigger risk than the second - money is money, at the end of the day - but I'd at least be a bit concerned about these possibilities.

Whatever the reason was that pushed him out of Everton, I'd have never thought he'd come to Villa of all places. I thought he was going to Chelsea. He was the best LB in the league after Robertson for a good 3 years.

Coutinho isn't looking so great right now but at the time it was mind boggling that he came here and then signed permanently.

It's more bizarre how we went after Bissouma AND Bentancur in January....and now seem to have totally given up on another midfielder and seemingly just happy for Luiz to stay and run his contract down from the bench.

As we've seen with our other big summer signing one injury to Kamara and we're just back to square one in midfield so really not sure what's happened since the summer.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, Keyblade said:

Best midfielder in the league right now. To think we'd almost had him for £12m. Would have been amazing with Dougie and Bouba. But the English speaking Juve fans on Twitter said he was no good though so it's ok.

Some Villa fans said he was garbage and Bissouma was better 😂

2 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Best midfielder in the league right now. To think we'd almost had him for £12m. Would have been amazing with Dougie and Bouba. But the English speaking Juve fans on Twitter said he was no good though so it's ok.

Think it was more in the £15-20m window.

Still don't think he's what we needed. Don't think he'd get in ahead of Kamara or Doug. I'd rather have signed him than Daddy Donker obviously, yes.

• Shocked 1

6 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Still don't think he's what we needed. Don't think he'd get in ahead of Kamara or Doug. I'd rather have signed him than Daddy Donker obviously, yes.

He would have been fine....the trainee would have ruined him as an impact sub while McGinn runs around 5 yards after each pass

24 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Some Villa fans said he was garbage and Bissouma was better 😂

I think Bissouma would've done a decent job for us, looks out of his depth at Spurs though. Probably because they're playing him a bit more advanced and he's really not that good when approaching the penalty area.

Both are better than 2022 McGinn by a considerable difference.

Edited by VillaChris

17 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

He's better than Doug who's good on his day but we know after three seasons lacks consistency. Hopefully at least him working under Emery will tweak out the flaws in his game a bit more.

What's surprising me is Bentancur being a decent goal threat. Sure he was just scoring one a season at Juventus and he plays a restrictive role for Uruguay.

Just now, VillaChris said:

I think Bissouma would've done a decent job for us, looks out of his depth at Spurs though. Probably because they're playing him a bit more advanced and he's really not that good when approaching the penalty area.

Both are better than 2022 McGinn by a considerable difference.

He is not really good at all, he has gained hype for the odd performance vs a big team. McGinn dominated him at Brighton last season

Like Sidwell who looked good at a midtable team when the cameras rolled but he really wasnt all that

On 16/08/2022 at 18:10, HanoiVillan said:

Wasn't it an urban legend when Beckham was surplus to requirements at man u we put a bid in for like £2 mil

10 minutes ago, TheMightyVillans said:

Been impressed by him. Got a lot more pace and physicality than I thought he did. Now he even scores goals.

He has scored more goals for Spurs than he did in his entire career so far

Premier League = Farmers League. 😛

Edited by Zatman

3 hours ago, Steero113 said:

Juve fans are the Man United fans of Italy.

Say no more. 

From what I saw of them it was a case of here's where they should be in world football and he wasn't good enough to play at that level

The fact that they thought they should be CL winners and they are nowhere near that was lost on them

Would be like us in mid table moaning about having bentacur in our team because he's not good enough to win us the league...was going to say I can't believe some of us went along with it but unfortunately I can

Remember when we were all excited about him coming to Villa, and once he went to spurs some fans said he isn't that good anyway?

I call it the 'before-he-signed-the-new-deal-Douglas-Luiz Syndrome'. 

13 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

Remember when we were all excited about him coming to Villa, and once he went to spurs some fans said he isn't that good anyway?

I call it the 'before-he-signed-the-new-deal-Douglas-Luiz Syndrome'. 

I for the most part remember most here thinking he was crap because of what they read on Juventus forum. How wrong were they . The thin one truly is great.

Â