Robin Olsen

Loxstock92

1 hour ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

He had one or two not so good games under the new manager and then didn't get much of a chance. Before that he was the no 1 and not bad at all. Not saying he is a super keeper and I'm kind of indifferent to the thought of bringing him to Villa, would of course always prefer someone better, but I dont fully agree with the poor tag at Roma.

Roma defence and form massively improved when he was dropped from the team, probably not all his fault 

4 minutes ago, est1874 said:

Makes sense to me. 

I love Jed but is he an able deputy in the Premier League? Behind this defence I'd say no.

i love the Jedi Man for what he did helping us get promoted, but 100% he isnt a PL keeper im afraid.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

i love the Jedi Man for what he did helping us get promoted, but 100% he isnt a PL keeper im afraid.

neither is Robin Olsen.

Technically not even good enough to be a Championship goal keeper according to Sheff United fans.

he is awesome for Sweden though, so maybe just a blip.

1 minute ago, VillanousOne said:

neither is Robin Olsen.

Technically not even good enough to be a Championship goal keeper according to Sheff United fans.

he is awesome for Sweden though, so maybe just a blip.

Roma paid 10 million for him 4 years ago

He isnt going to play many minutes but if we need him he would be a better fit 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, MWARLEY2 said:

Lets see how good a coach Cuttz is then if Olsen isnt the best. That said Martinez is bottom of the prem this season for goals conceded vs expected goals. 

What does that mean, he conceded more than expected or vice versa?

whether we think he's good enough or not, i dont see the problem.

We will have 3 senior keepers, we can send all our young keepers out on loan for development & experience, and if martinez does miss the odd game, we have 2 x senior keepers to choose from, depending on who is doing best in training.

Dont see a negative, especially as its a loan.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, MWARLEY2 said:

Yep basically. If you google goalkeeper  xga i think thats where you find a list 

That just shows how misleading stats alone in football can be, moneyball doesn't work in football. Martinez has been solid this season, having watched every game so far. Martinez is the best GK we've had since I've been watching villa the last 30 years. Straight off the top of my head his save vs Leicester in the 2-1 win earned us 2pts which the stats won't show.

Stats are important, but not in isolation and particularly in football.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

We ain't gonna get a class keeper who is going to accept sitting on the bench for 99% of the season, unless Emi gets injured. Olsen will do.

I was gonna suggest Pepe Reina (Gerrard connection as well), but he's still playing first team football for Lazio at 39! 

3 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

17 goals conceded in 11 games in Championship then dropped from squad?

He got injured on international duty for Sweden and has been injured since. Sheffield United have actually only played 6 games since his injury which was in November

Â