Robin Olsen

Loxstock92

11 minutes ago, smg said:

So our defenders can only function with the world’s number one goalkeeper behind them ? Perhaps they need to step up a bit  and take some responsibility for the defence of our goal.

This. I hate the argument that the defence play bad because Olsen is in nets. 

Obviously not good enough from him but I just don't really see the point of the social media pile-on tbh. He's been alright this season overall and we are comparing him to the best keeper in the world. It's just not worth it. Admittedly second and fourth goal today he was not great though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rodders0223 said:

Emery has been here and Olsen has dumped us out of two competitions we had real hope of winning

Though the tie is not technically over..it'll be no thanks to him.

Garbage take.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Rightdm00 said:

I just really want this guy at a new club next season.  I'm tired of seeing him flapping around sapping the confidence of our entire back line. 

Oh dear let’s be sad for the back line who can be crap in their roll as defenders in the knowledge that fans will blame the player behind them

53 minutes ago, ozvilla28 said:

His always the one to blame when his playing and we loose never our midfield or defence who go missing or give away cheap goals.

Olsen is to blame for absolutely everything that went wrong.

Olsen disallowed Baileys goal
Olsen played the striker on twice
Olsen didn’t give Bailey a penalty 
Olsen gave a penalty away
Olsen missed our penalty

Its all Olsens fault.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Glass half full take I know but his distribution really has improved a lot in the time Emery  has been here. In his limited appearances he's gone from looking like a fish out of water with the ball at his feet to actually being relatively comfortable and picking out some nice pieces.

• Like 1

I couldn't believe people were willing to give him a pass for the deflected goal. He was still very near to it hence getting a hand on it, and should have kept it out. It was really weak keeping.

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, smg said:

Oh dear let’s be sad for the back line who can be crap in their roll as defenders in the knowledge that fans will blame the player behind them

That same lineup has put in numerous better performances with Emi backing them. If you have played the game you know how much a nervous keeper can affect your play.  He inspires zero confidence when he plays and just like clockwork we concede 2-3 goals with him starting. 

You can say none of the goals were his fault but end of he just isn't good enough. Could you imagine him in a CL game. God forbid a CL knockout. Don't hate the guy Villa can do better. 

• Like 4

He makes some decent saves when he plays, but as a unit we always look far more vulnerable.  It almost feels like the defence doesn't seem to trust him or the communication isn't there. He has had all week to get ready for the game so you would have think this would have been sorted. I think when he does play we should just play it as simple as possible at the back.

• Like 1

We can be wild defensively but at the same time, he does little to inspire any confidence himself. He never looks calm or in control and decent shot stopping should be a given at our level.

It feels like there's little communication or understanding between the backline and keeper. 

The signing of Gauci suggests there's one way this is going but still giving Olsen his opportunity.

We play a different game with Emi in the team. A completely different game. Olsen is adapting to that, and bar a couple of bad passes, he did okay. The fact that Emi has the most time on the ball in the Premier League this season shows how important his role is. Some of his shot stopping is dubious, and I think Emi probably saves 1 or 2 tonight, but if we didn't have Olsen, who else would have playing the semi final of a European competition? Some of the criticism is unfair, he's clearly improved a lot this season, and he's NEVER going to be Emi.

6 hours ago, duke313 said:

This. I hate the argument that the defence play bad because Olsen is in nets. 

To be fair to Olsen he's improved his interplay with the defenders, the defensive errors for the first two goals were nothing to do with defenders not feeling confident or having to deal with an Olsen bad pass or anything. Cash was a tenth of a second slow coming back out and Digne should realise he's played the player onside and go and tackle him.

Olsen has never been at the level we need in a keeper though, I've said that from the start.

6 hours ago, turvontour said:

Robin Olsen a £1-2million keeper. I'm honestly not sure what people expect. As if it's somehow his fault.

He’s a 70 plus capped international keeper who’s played at champions league level at teams like Roma and Copenhagen and has 16 years experience. 

Id expect him to be quite competent to be honest

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Olsens biggest problem is that he doesnt seem very explosive. Emi would have gobbled up their 2nd goal. Its like .. Tiiiimmmbbbeeerrrr when Olsen spreads himself. A very reactive goalkeeper whereaa Emi is proactive. Anyway its done now, or is it. Let us pray Emi is going to be Ok. 

Edited by MWARLEY2

6 minutes ago, Taxahunter said:

Sorry, You can't pin any of the goals on Olsen. Blame the midfield and the defense instead...

I think Olsen could have done a bit more to try and stop the second goal, but I can't really blame him for the result or performance like some have. He could be better at playing it from the back, but his main problem is that he is not Emi, so he gets unfairly compared.

Â