Yves Bissouma

Corleone

Just now, Hairdo said:

Not too fussed about missing out on him if he goes to Spurs. I trust the recruitment team and think we can get someone just as good if not better

Fingers crossed we do. There’s no way this team is jumping from 14th to challenging for a European spot by bringing in one first team player for the midfield.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jacketspuds said:

Fingers crossed we do. There’s no way this team is jumping from 14th to challenging for a European spot by bringing in one first team player for the midfield.

Totally agree--absolutely essential we get another CM.

• Like 1

Glad this is over with finally. He's obviously a good player but once we signed Kamara I didn't see the point in signing Bissouma also, as unless we were to play a formation we haven't done already they can't exactly play together all that naturally. Could still do with a big signing in midfield of course but I don't think he was the one, not that we were going to get him over Spurs anyway mind.

There was noise coming from his camp saying he wanted a Champions League club, I think from a year or so ago? That never changed clearly, also he is likely to live in London already as its not far from Brighton. 

I do think in Jan we had a chance to sign him, I do think he was considering us maybe at the time no Champions League teams were interested. I'm guessing the offer was on the table and he wanted to keep his options open. I would not be surprised if where we finished played a part in his decision.

I never got the fascination with this player anyway, especially after we signed Kamara, can almost gaurantee if we lined up with both Kamara and Bissouma in midfield it wouldn't be long before many would be complaining that our midfield is too defensive, doesn't have enought creativity.

We tried to sign Bentancur in January, and haven't been linked with a similar player since, but we must have wanted him for a reason, I've always had suspicion that if we sign another midfielder it would more likely be someone with a similar skillset to him rather than a Bissouma type, or if not that more of a traditional box-to-box midfielder.

Just now, Demitri_C said:

25m for bissouma 

60m for phillips

I know which one i would rather have

I think 60m for Phillips is absolute nonsense to be honest. He's a very tenacious spoiler, and nothing more. Yes, I would like us to sign him as there are games that would come in very handy, but blowing 60m on him is an absolute joke. You could get 2 better players for that with a bit of effort.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

I defend him because of the ridiculous number of people who denigrate him on here

If so many people denigrate as you say, doesn’t that tell you something.  It’s not like everybody is colluding.  With so many people calling out Gregg, do you not think there is something to it especially when you are only one of a very small amount, if not the only one that defends him.  Surely that tells you something!

41 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

It's because he is a West Brom supporter basically.

Is that your assumption?  I couldn’t care less who he supports, I just care what he reports.  I don’t know who Maher, Percy or Collomosse support but I’m guessing probably not all the Villa but I respect them.  Then isn’t Preece a Villa fan but he’s rubbish.

45 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

It's celar when some people don;t like x person it's all in, 100% everything is bad wrong about the persion. Everything is binary, x is great or x is shit.  

No, it’s more like if he’s found not to be credible historically, it’s hard to take anything new as credible.  Until he gets a consistent run of things right then his credibility will be questioned.

14 minutes ago, nick76 said:

If so many people denigrate as you say, doesn’t that tell you something.  It’s not like everybody is colluding.  With so many people calling out Gregg, do you not think there is something to it especially when you are only one of a very small amount, if not the only one that defends him.  Surely that tells you something!

Is that your assumption?  I couldn’t care less who he supports, I just care what he reports.  I don’t know who Maher, Percy or Collomosse support but I’m guessing probably not all the Villa but I respect them.  Then isn’t Preece a Villa fan but he’s rubbish.

No, it’s more like if he’s found not to be credible historically, it’s hard to take anything new as credible.  Until he gets a consistent run of things right then his credibility will be questioned.

in fairness, there's 100s of journos out there that are not credible and basically guess everything but evans does seem to get more grief on here than most

it stems from his brum mail days, and i do think that the fact that he's a baggies fan (it has been used as a stick to beat him with on here on multiple occasions) doesn't help. i think the expectation from some was that if you are covering predominantly one team, you should be a fan of said team and it annoyed people that he was a fan of a rival

you say preece is rubbish...is it his fault that villa keep their cards so close to their chests? what's he supposed to do, sit around with his feet up until AVFC officially announce another transfer out of nowhere? journos have to make a living so yes they do often need to resort to speculation and guesswork because it's either that or the dole queue

10 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

in fairness, there's 100s of journos out there that are not credible and basically guess everything but evans does seem to get more grief on here than most

it stems from his brum mail days, and i do think that the fact that he's a baggies fan (it has been used as a stick to beat him with on here on multiple occasions) doesn't help. i think the expectation from some was that if you are covering predominantly one team, you should be a fan of said team and it annoyed people that he was a fan of a rival

you say preece is rubbish...is it his fault that villa keep their cards so close to their chests? what's he supposed to do, sit around with his feet up until AVFC officially announce another transfer out of nowhere? journos have to make a living so yes they do often need to resort to speculation and guesswork because it's either that or the dole queue

I think the Evans issue is not just his "sources" but his Villa articles arent very interesting either

I dont care who he supports but if he is covering just one team he better be good at it. He isnt

1 minute ago, tomav84 said:

oh i agree most journo's especially with the Villa dont have any real inside information.

Maybe some have an issue with his Baggies background but I reckon there are just as many, if not more that dont care about that and maybe some dont know about that.  As i said pointing to the other journalists I mention who I dont know if they have Villa ties or not.  Yes, Evans get more grief than most because he does cover Villa predominately but he tries to come across as having inside knowledge whether to look good, to try and keep his job because some of his colleagues at The Athletic do have great connections at their clubs unlike him or for another reason.  I think it's easy to say we give him stick because he's a baggies fan and that annoys us, he gets stick because he's just as right as he is wrong, he seems no more in the know that many of the people on here because he just uses publicly available information but then tries to add stuff occasionally that seems stabs in the dark, almost like clickbait stuff.

10 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

cant disagree with anything you say but it doesnt mean he isnt rubbish.  He's essentially a paid journalist doing exactly what 'Villareport' does for free, so fair play to him and he gets to follow Villa around the country on the company dime so would seem smarter than all of us 😂 

Regardless of how interested we were, I would think that other clubs would have bid the price up beyond the £22.5m Spurs are going to pay. At that price, you would think many clubs would be interested...

Interesting that Spurs got both Bentancur and (probably) Bissouma when we were interested.

Edited by TomC

Â