Yves Bissouma

Corleone

3 minutes ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

£35m with a year left. Brighton are very well run

Caicedo who is his replacement already looks like an upgrade from his limited game time

Its why it annoys me we are not going looking for players like him, gems that would save us millions

Edited by Zatman
  • Like 2

Either way this means we didn't get our first choice midfielder for that role. Will be interesting to see how he goes with not good enough for some at villa Betancur. My prediction is depressingly well.

While we may still have Luiz noodle arming tackles and McGinn playing 60 yard Hollywood passes to the opposing full backs 🤣

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Caicedo who is his replacement already looks like an upgrade from his limited game time

Its why it annoys me we are not going looking for players like him, gems that would save us millions

They're only a gem if they turn out good. That's Brighton's transfer model, sign unknown players from lower leagues or abroad, if they turn out good sell them for a profit.  Our ambitions are slightly higher than being a selling club.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Pissflaps said:

Either way this means we didn't get our first choice midfielder for that role. Will be interesting to see how he goes with not good enough for some at villa Betancur. My prediction is depressingly well.

While we may still have Luiz noodle arming tackles and McGinn playing 60 yard Hollywood passes to the opposing full backs 🤣

For me, it will be interesting to see if he is now " Good enough " to certain posters since a  " Proper Manager " wants to/is signing him. lol

To be fair, we don't know if he was Tottenhams first choice either.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

9 minutes ago, duke313 said:

They're only a gem if they turn out good. That's Brighton's transfer model, sign unknown players from lower leagues or abroad, if they turn out good sell them for a profit.  Our ambitions are slightly higher than being a selling club.

you can do both though and thats what well organised teams do

for example Real Madrid picked up Valverde and Barcelona got Pedri for around 5 million each and they didnt sign them to sell them

4 minutes ago, Zatman said:

you can do both though and thats what well organised teams do

for example Real Madrid picked up Valverde and Barcelona got Pedri for around 5 million each and they didnt sign them to sell them

Pedri was signed when he was 17 and Valverde was signed at 18, not really any different than the young players we have been signing the past year or so, some of them might turn out great, some not so much.  For every Federico Valverde Madrid signed, they also signed a Dani Gómez or Óscar Rodríguez.

He's a good player but we've already got Iroegbunam, Luiz, Nakamba, and Kamara as DMs. Of course some will say Bissouma isn't a DM, but he's primarily a defensively minded midfielder, and ask most Brighton fans and they will describe him as a DM. If we're to sign another midfielder we don't need another of his type.

I think it's probable that we dropped our interest in him as soon as we signed Kamara, we were never going to sign both, but media and fans were fixated with the idea of us still being interested so the rumour kept going.

Would make more sense to me if the midfielder we bring in is either a Gallagher type to challenge Jacob Ramsey and McGinn, or more of ball playing midfielder type as a replacemnt for Luiz.

3 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Pedri was signed when he was 17 and Valverde was signed at 18, not really any different than the young players we have been signing the past year or so, some of them might turn out great, some not so much.  For every Federico Valverde Madrid signed, they also signed a Dani Gómez or Óscar Rodríguez.

Both signed for Real Madrid when they were 12 hardly a similar comparison.

Pedri had a full season under his belt when Barcelona signed him for example. I would rather we scoured the globe looking for similar talent than waiting for another team to buy that player and we paying 10 times the price 3 years later

3 minutes ago, useless said:

He's a good player but we've already got Iroegbunam, Luiz, Nakamba, and Kamara as DMs. Of course some will say Bissouma isn't a DM, but he's primarily a defensively minded midfielder, and ask most Brighton fans and they will describe him as a DM. If we're to sign another midfielder we don't need another of his type.

I think it's probable that we dropped our interest in him as soon as we signed Kamara, we were never going to sign both, but media and fans were fixated with the idea of us still being interested so the rumour kept going.

Would make more sense to me if the midfielder we bring in is either a Gallagher type to challenge Jacob Ramsey and McGinn, or more of ball playing midfielder type as a replacemnt for Luiz.

Luiz isn't a DM that been proven over 2 seasons. 

Nakamba is limited in his passing, Irogbenum may not be quite ready yet. We need one Central midfielder to work with Kamara. Injury and suspension will happen. Bissouma was likely close to first choice so hopefully they have other plans.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Or have one of the best youth set ups to produce players? 

1 minute ago, The Fun Factory said:

Or have one of the best youth set ups to produce players? 

again you can have both like what Ajax or to a lesser extent Atalanta do, the academy will not always consistently produce talent

La Masia had a barren decade or so and slowly recovering now

4 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Both signed for Real Madrid when they were 12 hardly a similar comparison.

Pedri had a full season under his belt when Barcelona signed him for example. I would rather we scoured the globe looking for similar talent than waiting for another team to buy that player and we paying 10 times the price 3 years later

If it was that easy everyone would be doing it.  Barca and Real also have the benefit of being two absolutely massive clubs and can hoover up as much talent as they like from Spain and all over South America, how many of them make it to the top?

Plus we've already went down the diamond in the rough route. Amavi? Vertout? Adama Traore?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, duke313 said:

If it was that easy everyone would be doing it.  Barca and Real also have the benefit of being two absolutely massive clubs and can hoover up as much talent as they like from Spain and all over South America, how many of them make it to the top?

Plus we've already went down the diamond in the rough route. Amavi? Vertout? Adama Traore?

yes 3 examples of talents we could have developed, we were just ran like a shitty side business at the time. Veretout has French caps, Adama Spanish caps and think even played at the Euros and Amavi made a French squad

Our past ownership ruined anything but it doesnt mean because it failed we shouldnt do it again

6 minutes ago, Zatman said:

yes 3 examples of talents we could have developed, we were just ran like a shitty side business at the time. Veretout has French caps, Adama Spanish caps and think even played at the Euros and Amavi made a French squad

Our past ownership ruined anything but it doesnt mean because it failed we shouldnt do it again

But we do to an extent, Kamara on a free, Cash for £14m, McGinn £2.5m.

Just now, duke313 said:

But we do to an extent, Kamara on a free, Cash for £14m, McGinn £2.5m.

I dont think signing a 2nd tier full back for £14m is what I would call a gem

Again all 3 players were also well known when we signed them so again hardly unknowns, McGinn probably the most unknown of the 3 but was a Scotland international chased by Celtic

6 minutes ago, useless said:

This idea of signing a load of hidden gems is one of those basic illogical fantasies that wannabe football hipsters come out with, it's very rare that top clubs make those kind of signings, they sign known and proven players to improve their teams and to get the success they get, they don't take chances as they don't need to, the likes of Brighton are more likely to go for those kind of players, it works to a degree for them but only gets them so far and nowhere near close to where we want to get, also should be pointed out you only hear about Brighton's success stories, but they also sign a load of players that don't work out.

My point exactly, they’re only gems if they turn out good.

12 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Again all 3 players were also well known when we signed them so again hardly unknowns, McGinn probably the most unknown of the 3 but was a Scotland international chased by Celtic

And Caicedo was a Ecuadorean international in talks with Man Utd before they broke down and he signed for Brighton. How’s that any different than McGinn?

13 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I was with you until this. Mcginn and Cash's value have increased multiple times and were bought from weaker leagues. These are great examples of finding gems.

It sounds like you want us to be searching around non-league level for the next Jamie Vardy for all our signings.

• Like 1

We do sign them but we sign them as youngsters, Chrisene, Bogarde, Swinkels, Smith, Feeney, Barber, Iroegbunam, Burchall, Shakpoke, Wilson, Barry and others. It's actually not too unsimilar to what Brentford do, they bring in players to play for their B team before promoting them to their first team.

Â