Philippe Coutinho

Wainy316

He has dropped off alarmingly this season. Ok last season he wasn't peak Phil but he did show enough to make a permanent signing an interesting prospect, even though deep down we all knew he was in decline and the money could have probably been better spent elsewhere. It makes you think that he probably hasn't been fully fit all year.

Edited by The Fun Factory

34 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

Your wife would probably do a better job.

if a swift right hook was applicable to football, she would be at Messi levels of GOAT.

I think Emery likes him too, he's just been unlucky with injuries. For sure think he has a part to play next season - we need the quality in depth and whilst he won't be starting for us bringing him off the bench is a threat to any team on his day.

4 minutes ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

I think Emery likes him too, he's just been unlucky with injuries. For sure think he has a part to play next season - we need the quality in depth and whilst he won't be starting for us bringing him off the bench is a threat to any team on his day.

There's definitely potential there. The issue with him, for me, is the same as Digne - are their wages too high to be rotation players? Ideally, we'd be able to keep them, but do we need to free up the wage bill a bit?

• Like 1

Just now, lexicon said:

There's definitely potential there. The issue with him, for me, is the same as Digne - are their wages too high to be rotation players? Ideally, we'd be able to keep them, but do we need to free up the wage bill a bit?

I agree with the logic in keeping him, but as you say his wages don't justify keeping him as a backup/rotation, same with Digne.  Maybe if we get into Europe it would be worth it.

Doesn't really matter how much you or Emery might rate him or how good he'd be if he got fit or we had a time machine.

We don't and he won't stay fit. Injury prone players dont hit 31 and suddenly stop being injury prone.

Awful signing. Non sensical especially when Barca would have been happy to loan him again. Just so Purslow could romantically nourish himself with a marquee signing.

• Like 3

I hope we can offload him in the summer his signing was a huge mistake, absolutely unbelievable player when he was at Liverpool but he’s never ever going to replicate that again. Wish him nothing but the best but not at this club. 

• Like 1

There's two huge question marks about Coutinho, his fitness, and whether he can still do it in the premier league. 

I think if we get the chance to offload then we should do so. 

Hopefully we are going to add some additions to the squad who will improve us and Coutinho will just slip down the pecking order and he's too much of a wage burden just to be a bit part player. 

If a bit part player is earning more than a regular first team player it doesn't sit well with me. 

The romantic in me says he comes off the bench in the last 2 games & wins the games for us, & with other teams slipping up fires us into the Europa league. He then stays next season & helps us win the Europa league under Unai Emery & that puts us in the Champions league 🏆 my head says we won't see him again in a Villa shirt & he leaves in the summer to Saudi Arabia 😢

7 minutes ago, Frodo said:

The romantic in me says he comes off the bench in the last 2 games & wins the games for us, & with other teams slipping up fires us into the Europa league. He then stays next season & helps us win the Europa league under Unai Emery & that puts us in the Champions league 🏆 my head says we won't see him again in a Villa shirt & he leaves in the summer to Saudi Arabia 😢

Both options are great.

But reality is that he'll stay with Villa for the next 3 seasons virtually never playing in first team games and us paying millions for him to sit on the bench.

I’ve just looked though the goal of the season nominations. His goal vs Arsenal really was a fantastic team goal. I’ll be honest I’d completely forgotten about it.  

I’d like to see Phil kept around for another season. So much potential, been so unlucky with injuries. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ender4 said:

Both options are great.

But reality is that he'll stay with Villa for the next 3 seasons virtually never playing in first team games and us paying millions for him to sit on the bench.

Yeah true 👍 it's amazing isn't it such an amazing player in his time, if we could get half the player he was back then, then that would help us specially if we made Europe. Ffs if Willian can still do it at 34 at Fulham surely Emery could get a tune out of him if he stayed fit. Suppose that's the issue the injuries because before his last injury he looked lively specially when he came on against Man city 😫

Â