Philippe Coutinho

Wainy316

3 hours ago, CVByrne said:

He was in great form before he got injured. Hopefully he gets back and can get firing again for us. If he's in good form he can help us for sure and also gives options in summer increasing interest in him if we decide to loan him out. 

He was playing better before injury but I'd say "good form" is a bit of a stretch. 1 1/2 good games (being generous) can't really be considered to be form.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

He was playing better before injury but I'd say "good form" is a bit of a stretch. 1 1/2 good games (being generous) can't really be considered to be form.

But we don't know how he would have done with a run of games. I think he has plenty to offer to us when fit. So I'm relaxed about him staying or going this summer. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

On most recent form, give me Coutinho over Bailey in the team. 

Gotta agree 

Bert, Coutinho and Emi in full flow in the same team is potentially bamboozling.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

But we don't know how he would have done with a run of games. I think he has plenty to offer to us when fit. So I'm relaxed about him staying or going this summer. 

I want him to stay too. He's given us a glimmer of hope. Especially if we get Europe he can be very useful.

20 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

I want him to stay too. He's given us a glimmer of hope. Especially if we get Europe he can be very useful.

I just want to know when fit for a prolonged period what Emery can do to his game given what we've seen with the rest of the squad 

• Like 2

Yep, we should only judge all squad members after a decent run of games under Emery’s tutelage. Don’t forget, there were plenty of people suggesting we should move McGinn and Watkins on. 

Whether Coutinho can be fit for a decent run of games is another matter. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, gwi1890 said:

I think the positive part is he’s not a Ross Barkley type a**hole he’s humble and trains like any other player doesn’t kick a fuss when he isn’t starting nor does he when he is subbed off. I never want to see players like Barkley and Grealish for that matter at the club again throwing tantrums when subbed at 88 mins for crying out loud. No one is bigger than the club and I’m pretty adamant Coutinho gets that.

I've no issue with it is the moaning is aimed at themselves. Barkley always seemed frustrated at his own performance when being subbed, not at Deano for subbing him. Id have been more annoyed if he wasn't bothered when he was playing shit

6 hours ago, tezzaleed said:

what a pointless post.  just knock the player whilst he's not playing under a new manager before he has a chance, coupled with a bizarre imaginary world where we just put up a sign and hey presto someone buys him for the fee we paid matches his wages and were able to find the perfect replacement. 

I don't think it's a pointless post. It's literally all about his fitness which we don't know what the future holds, we only know what his current situation is and it's been poor since he arrived so based on that I said we try and sell him for someone younger and less likely to be injured and waste a squad space. I'm also assuming you watched the Stevenage game where he had a chance and was v.poor

And I said a decent fee, not the fee we bought him for. I would class anything 10m plus as a decent fee which I think there are some clubs out there that would pay that

10 minutes ago, maqroll said:

I just don't think he's ever going to consistently play at a level we need him at. We should try to sell him at a profit to a Saudi team.

Agreed here. A lot like Ings. Good lad, good pro, the occasional good moment. But not enough left in the tank. 

Can only imagine the wages he’s on that Villa weren’t tempted to sell him at discount. 

Edited by DJBOB
  • Like 1

Can really add something, as we all know. Let's hope, like literally every other player (maybe Bailey and Digne apart) he comes back and thrives under a proper manager. A rejuvenated Coutinho is exactly what we want to finish a season on a huge high.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, alexvilla4 said:

I don't think it's a pointless post. It's literally all about his fitness which we don't know what the future holds, we only know what his current situation is and it's been poor since he arrived so based on that I said we try and sell him for someone younger and less likely to be injured and waste a squad space. I'm also assuming you watched the Stevenage game where he had a chance and was v.poor

And I said a decent fee, not the fee we bought him for. I would class anything 10m plus as a decent fee which I think there are some clubs out there that would pay that

the Stevenage game was poor but under total control until one awful player was found out for being batshit and awful.  if you want to "free up a space" then just get rid of that loser instead.  

so do you want to pay off coutinhos contract at something like £10m,  wrote off his value as an asset of at least another £15m just to free up a place.  them what do we do to provide cover when buendia is injured spend another £40m on a replacement.  that's why it's a pointless post.  

I'm not saying coutinho is a brilliant player and when he's fit he should be straight back in the first team but no one is interested in signing him and he's not an awful option. 

• Confused 3

8 hours ago, gwi1890 said:

I think the positive part is he’s not a Ross Barkley type a**hole he’s humble and trains like any other player doesn’t kick a fuss when he isn’t starting nor does he when he is subbed off. I never want to see players like Barkley and Grealish for that matter at the club again throwing tantrums when subbed at 88 mins for crying out loud. No one is bigger than the club and I’m pretty adamant Coutinho gets that.

Not sure this is at all relevant to the Coutinho thread but I must say when you launch a theme that puts Ross Barkley and Jack Grealish in the same category, I am mighty confused. Also you don’t want to see a player like Grealish at the club? OK, I think I will sit this one out.

1 hour ago, briny_ear said:

Not sure this is at all relevant to the Coutinho thread but I must say when you launch a theme that puts Ross Barkley and Jack Grealish in the same category, I am mighty confused. Also you don’t want to see a player like Grealish at the club? OK, I think I will sit this one out.

I think he just means ego and players that think they should get different treatment to the rest of the squad. Both of them had massive public sulks when subbed but for different reasons and to be honest I wasn’t that bothered by them doing it, they’re not robots .

We now have a squad that seems from the outside pretty harmonious and equal in standing. Big Emi has the highest profile and biggest ego but also seems like a pretty good person. 

For all his past history Couts seems to have a great attitude and his feet on the ground. I think we are probably stuck with him for a while so Emery will get some good performances out of him I’m sure. 

• Thanks 1

Â