Philippe Coutinho

Wainy316

7 minutes ago, AntrimBlack said:

I really have had enough of the 2 up top thing.

I think it is preventing us utilising our best players.

Give the responsibility to one of our strikers; if it ain't working, use one of the 5 subs.

I think the 2 up top thing can work really well...  If 1 of them is Bailey.  His pace and skill is what our offense lacks.  The fear he put into ManU was noticeable when he carried the ball- they backed off.  Nobody else on our team can do that right now.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ejs1111 said:

We cannot play a 4231.  People need to stop calling for it.  That is not our system.  Period.  We have gone several windows without upgrading or signing wingers for that system.  Our FBs would get rinsed.

Plus, our midfield would get absolutely overrun every game with only 2 players in the midfield.  Especially given how much SG wants the FBs to push high and out CMs to fan out to help cover.  We use a 3 man midfield now and ppl complain how we need to sign a ANOTHER CM because we aren't strong enough.  Now ppl want to just remove one player from the midfield entirely??  VT madness.

Best case scenario for our offensive players that everyone is clamoring for...  2 of the 3 will play every match between Coutinho, Buendia, and Bailey.  Personally I think Bailey should be nailed on 1st11 given his pace and preseason performances.  I'd also have Buendia over Coutinho based on performances and the graft Emi shows defensively.  Watkins over Ings for me due to his work rate and his double figure goal return the past 2 seasons.  My 2 cents

Buendia played on right at Norwich, Bailey has played both sides at Leverkusen and Coutinho has played from the left at Liverpool, it can be done and it will stop our full backs been run ragged defensively

the first goal for United showed our weakness at full back

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

Buendia played on right at Norwich, Bailey has played both sides at Leverkusen and Coutinho has played from the left at Liverpool, it can be done and it will stop our full backs been run ragged defensively

the first goal for United showed our weakness at full back

Oh i agree they have played there before.  But I don't agree that our midfield is good enough to have just 2 hold the middle of the park.  We cannot hold it with 3 now.  We still want another no8.  No way we change systems and play with zero no8s

1 hour ago, ejs1111 said:

We cannot play a 4231.  People need to stop calling for it.  That is not our system.  Period.  We have gone several windows without upgrading or signing wingers for that system.  Our FBs would get rinsed.

Plus, our midfield would get absolutely overrun every game with only 2 players in the midfield.  Especially given how much SG wants the FBs to push high and out CMs to fan out to help cover.  We use a 3 man midfield now and ppl complain how we need to sign a ANOTHER CM because we aren't strong enough.  Now ppl want to just remove one player from the midfield entirely??  VT madness.

Best case scenario for our offensive players that everyone is clamoring for...  2 of the 3 will play every match between Coutinho, Buendia, and Bailey.  Personally I think Bailey should be nailed on 1st11 given his pace and preseason performances.  I'd also have Buendia over Coutinho based on performances and the graft Emi shows defensively.  Watkins over Ings for me due to his work rate and his double figure goal return the past 2 seasons.  My 2 cents

Well, we can. Douglas and kamara in the middle would work. Emi plays in the 10 and drops back to form a middle 3 in defence. The fact we aren’t going to be so narrow and rely on cash and Digne solely for width means they don’t have so much attacking responsibility but can still contribute. Ollie would have to play up top cause Ings doesn’t have the legs for the press imo. It can be done and It would be a lot more effective than what we watched in the first half on Saturday. 

Coutinho is absolutely world class and Gerrard is 100% right to start him. Also Buendia is absolutely world class whenever he plays and Gerrard needs to start him. 

There has to be a way of setting up this team that accommodates both. Its just silly to keep on with Buendia (or Phil) on the bench.

Do a Pep & drop both strikers if you need to make it happen. They aint scoring anyway.

Edited by ciggiesnbeer
  • Like 1

On 25/07/2022 at 20:03, IrishVilla10 said:

Well, we can. Douglas and kamara in the middle would work. Emi plays in the 10 and drops back to form a middle 3 in defence. The fact we aren’t going to be so narrow and rely on cash and Digne solely for width means they don’t have so much attacking responsibility but can still contribute. Ollie would have to play up top cause Ings doesn’t have the legs for the press imo. It can be done and It would be a lot more effective than what we watched in the first half on Saturday. 

I agree regarding DL and BK. I think they compliment each other perfectly in the middle as a pair. I also agree playing Emi in the 10 role to drop deeper when needed and would have Coutinho on his left and Bailey on his right. For a counter attacking game I'd have Watkins up top and possession based Ings. Watkins as you said being better at the press and Ings is better in closer quarters. We need our creators on the pitch together though imo. 

On 26/07/2022 at 20:48, ciggiesnbeer said:

Coutinho is absolutely world class and Gerrard is 100% right to start him. Also Buendia is absolutely world class whenever he plays and Gerrard needs to start him. 

There has to be a way of setting up this team that accommodates both. Its just silly to keep on with Buendia (or Phil) on the bench.

Do a Pep & drop both strikers if you need to make it happen. They aint scoring anyway.

Well if we had a midfield that could keep the ball we could. Still think that needs strengthening.

• Like 1

He played well today, played his part in the first goal and was unlucky not score from the free-kick, his general play was good as well, looks after the ball better than any of our other players, also his workrate is underrated, I see so many, especially other fans refer to him as a luxury player, but that's not really true and seems lazy accusation to me.

Only fault really is that he drops too deep, we need him more in the final third, if he is going to drop that deep then we need someone like Ramsey in the team making runs into the box for sure.

Was world class... Not sure he is now. I also think Gerrard has given him zero reason to fight for his place and has assured his mate he will always play.

I don't think there are many people who would say, based on current levels and form, that Coutinho is performing better than Buendia and yet he's guaranteed to start. This has been the case at the end of last season and through pre-season and yet Gerrard has clearly implied Buendia is seen as the second string; either being the sub or not featuring today.

For the figures discussed, it was a good piece of business, but I'm not sure he should be basically guaranteed a start! His form has been average to poor, outside ten seconds of skill per match.

7 minutes ago, useless said:

Only fault really is that he drops too deep, we need him more in the final third, if he is going to drop that deep then we need someone like Ramsey in the team making runs into the box for sure.

Exactly this.  Need to keep him further up the pitch.  When he is deep he isnt in position trying to cause overloads 

4 minutes ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

We must be watching different games. Not sure what makes you think his spell with the club has been garbage.

If he isn’t taking on 26 men followed by an elastico then a dink from our own goal line into the opposition net every time he gets the ball then he’s had a poor game. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Farlz said:

Add this entire pre season to the massive list of games he's gone completely missing. His spell with the club so far has been garbage. 

Yep 5 goals, 3 assists in 19 games is shite.

• Like 2

Â