Philippe Coutinho

Wainy316

3 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

Could we try Coutinho as an 8 alongside Ramsey with Kamara behind? It would allow us to play both Bailey and Buendia… 

Coutinho as an 8 with Luiz and Kamara behind might work as a midfield - but I'm not sure which three you'd play in front of them.

We have a ten, two strikers and a right winger - I'm not particularly in favour of playing a ten in front of Coutinho as an eight or in favour of playing with a single winger.

For me - it should be Kamara and Luiz with McGinn or Ramsey in front of them and then either Coutinho left and Bailey or Buendia right with one of the front two 

Or it should be Kamara and Luiz with McGinn or Ramsey in front of them, Coutinho as a ten and two strikers - we might get away with Bailey as a striker but he'll need to be free to wander

Or it should be Kamara and Luiz with McGinn or Ramsey in front of them, Coutinho and Buendia as a pair of tens and a single striker.

If I had to choose I'd leave Coutinho as a ten and go:

--------------------------Watkins---------------------------

---------Coutinho--------------------Buendia----------

---------------------------McGinn---------------------------

-----------------Luiz------------------Kamara------------

With Bailey as an impact sub.

It's clear that we now know Coutinho's strengths and weaknesses against various opposition.

He's largely anonymous away from home. He suits games where we see a lot of possession, or where he is given space. That's not to say he's useless in big games, against United at Villa Park he came on and exploited the space he was given perfectly.

What he needs is space, and a team around him that allow it. It's the Grealish problem all over again, everything is trying to go through Coutinho. There needs to be some balance to the side and both Buendia or Bailey will allow that. A midfield who can control the possession, dictate play, and allow Coutinho to stay further up the pitch in dangerous positions will also help. For me Douglas Luiz is the player that will help this, playing in the 8 role.

He'll be fine this season; but we need to use him effectively. And not use him when we know he won't have the required impact.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

We need to get our 3 most dangerous players on the pitch at once. Bailey, Buendia, Coutinho. The best way is Deano’s old 4-2-3-1. Kamara and Doug behind the aforementioned three is something we should trial at Rennes

Although i would debate a slight variance on your offer, in principle i 100% agree with your sentiment.

However, you know it aint gonna happen :(

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

We need to get our 3 most dangerous players on the pitch at once. Bailey, Buendia, Coutinho. The best way is Deano’s old 4-2-3-1. Kamara and Doug behind the aforementioned three is something we should trial at Rennes

I think we’d need another defensive midfielder to play this. Luiz isn’t that albeit I think he’ll improve if he plays as an 8.

If we go out and get an out and out defensive mid, like a Sangare or an Ndidi then I can see us maybe giving it a go. 

The problem with any formation anybody suggests is that Gerrard will never not play a system where the fullbacks play almost as wide forwards. Our fullbacks bomb on, and that’s the way it will always be unfortunately. 

7 hours ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

I would agree but put Sanson in for Luiz alongside Kamara.

5 hours ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

Couldn't hit a crossbar. First out in the flinch game.

He's done.

Makes you wonder what they're teaching these kids in the favelas 

I'm willing to give him a bit more time but if the club put a video out of him being shit at kerby get rid

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, PussEKatt said:

IMHO he should be backup to Emi,or play the 2 together in the same lineup. 

I think so. In their peak Coutinho all day phenomenal player but he's slowed down remarkably.

He's still a joy to watch and he's done things last year that I've not seen in decades at VP. 

But last season he was starting games he shouldn't have been starting. He's a luxury player.

• Like 1

It's such a strange one for me. He's capable of moments no one else in the squad could do, and I've no doubt he will win us games or get us points because of those moments. 

But over a 90 minute game, I've rarely, if ever, seen him control or consistently impact the game. 

So I'm conflicted between are those moments worth all the minutes where he does very little? Are we a better team when he starts and plays the majority of games. 

I'm just not convinced we are. 

• Like 1

Would love to see him in a 4231 on the left with Buendia middle and bailey on the right. Too many times at the weekend he was getting the ball in central positions and Ollie and Ings are wide, what is the point in that. Hopefully we see a change vs Rennes 

Edited by IrishVilla10

24 minutes ago, IrishVilla10 said:

Would love to see him in a 4231 on the left with Buendia middle and bailey on the right. Too many times at the weekend he was getting the ball in central positions and Ollie and Ings are wide, what is the point in that. Hopefully we see a change vs Rennes 

Digne would get absolutely roasted.

We cannot play a 4231.  People need to stop calling for it.  That is not our system.  Period.  We have gone several windows without upgrading or signing wingers for that system.  Our FBs would get rinsed.

Plus, our midfield would get absolutely overrun every game with only 2 players in the midfield.  Especially given how much SG wants the FBs to push high and out CMs to fan out to help cover.  We use a 3 man midfield now and ppl complain how we need to sign a ANOTHER CM because we aren't strong enough.  Now ppl want to just remove one player from the midfield entirely??  VT madness.

Best case scenario for our offensive players that everyone is clamoring for...  2 of the 3 will play every match between Coutinho, Buendia, and Bailey.  Personally I think Bailey should be nailed on 1st11 given his pace and preseason performances.  I'd also have Buendia over Coutinho based on performances and the graft Emi shows defensively.  Watkins over Ings for me due to his work rate and his double figure goal return the past 2 seasons.  My 2 cents

• Like 1

Â