Philippe Coutinho

Wainy316

5 hours ago, Don_Simon said:

This is complete conjecture.

"Transformed Aston Villa"? From what to what? A club that couldn't sign players from Seville and Everton to one that now can?

Until those two have, (three if including Coutinho) have achieved something meaningful, to suggest Villa have been transformed is hyperbole beyond hyperbole. 

Well fair enough I guess, but without Coutinho, these players who were also coveted by elite sides would not have chosen Villa, so that in and of itself is transformative. In short order we have gone from an overlooked, underwhelming side to what we are assembling now, which is forcing the football world to reassess old attitudes and expectations. Just look at the latest betting odds, that alone says a lot. Perception is reality as they say. Not sure I always agree with that, but it's hard not to think we are rounding a corner that has been so **** elusive for decades. Even MON era was a false dawn. This feels much different. 

4 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

Those players didn't come here because of Coutinho or Gerrard. They came here because its the PL and the highest paid level in the world and the club has big aspirations to kick on.

People are so blinded by names. Both Gerrard and Coutinho have been very whelming

Sorry, but if you think Coutinho wasn't a factor in those players signing, especially Carlos, you're mistaken.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

Those players didn't come here because of Coutinho or Gerrard. They came here because its the PL and the highest paid level in the world and the club has big aspirations to kick on.

People are so blinded by names. Both Gerrard and Coutinho have been very whelming

spacer.png

• Haha 2

27 minutes ago, maqroll said:

Well fair enough I guess, but without Coutinho, these players who were also coveted by elite sides would not have chosen Villa, so that in and of itself is transformative. In short order we have gone from an overlooked, underwhelming side to what we are assembling now, which is forcing the football world to reassess old attitudes and expectations. Just look at the latest betting odds, that alone says a lot. Perception is reality as they say. Not sure I always agree with that, but it's hard not to think we are rounding a corner that has been so **** elusive for decades. Even MON era was a false dawn. This feels much different. 

It's all about the money, if that's the same then it might be club profile. 

38 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Unfortunately for him he plays behind Ings and Watkins with little other creativity behind him. If he played with Buendia and Bailey he'd be a lot more dangerous. Teams won't know who to mark.

this.

Couts, Buendia and Bailey in there would create something to think about, different things to worry about.

Right now, its Couts....then brick feet watkins and Ings......

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Unfortunately for him he plays behind Ings and Watkins with little other creativity behind him. If he played with Buendia and Bailey he'd be a lot more dangerous. Teams won't know who to mark.

I was wondering this too...

Could we play Bailey as a false nine, Coutinho and Buendia in support with the midfield three?

Watkins and Ings aren't really looking great unfortunately.

24 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

I was wondering this too...

Could we play Bailey as a false nine, Coutinho and Buendia in support with the midfield three?

Watkins and Ings aren't really looking great unfortunately.

Unfortunately, I don’t feel we’ve experimented as much as we could have during preseason… haven’t tried much out really or looked at alternatives as much as we could have. The fact that SG still paired up Ings & Watkins was almost depressing…

I would love for us to at least try Bailey in that CF and have Buendia and Coutinho assisting him… he’s much more mobile and skilled than either of our big money strikers… the lad can finish too…

Also, Archer didn’t really get a chance as a lone CF did he?

2 hours ago, MaVilla said:

this.

Couts, Buendia and Bailey in there would create something to think about, different things to worry about.

Right now, its Couts....then brick feet watkins and Ings......

Yep… really losing patience with the pair of them… both likeable guys but signing Ings has been a bit of a disaster in several ways. I miss the old Ollie too, excellent in his first season…

But anyway, we sorely lack a skilled striker or cultured finisher… them pair look like grafters more than anything else sadly.

Someone more technically proficient and with enough speed/mobility to latch onto through balls and finish one on ones with aplomb would absolutely transform us. Would link so well with our South American no. 10s…

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

He's so nice to watch, I think it's blinded people to this. 

5 goals 3 assists in 19 games. Shite.

34 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Could we try Coutinho as an 8 alongside Ramsey with Kamara behind? It would allow us to play both Bailey and Buendia… 

I’d rather drop Ings and Ollie and have Bailey, Buendia and Coutinho as an interchangeable front 3.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Jas10 said:

Really is as simple as that.

He’s been having to play in what is the worse/inferior lineup and system. Behind Watkins and Ings and in front of McGinn.

Preseason has further demonstrated that we are a better side and retain & pass the ball better with Luiz (helping Kamara) and Buendia in the side. And possibly Bailey now too if his performance against Man Poo is just a sign of what’s to come, and not just a one off or rarity…

We just have to find a way to accommodate both Coutinho and Buendia in the side, imo. Even if it means sacrificing McGinn, Ramsey or even both! I can’t see SG willing to do that but am hoping he will drop one…

We have talent and quality in attack, let those player shine and be free to express themselves. Solidify the team behind them and that will be possible. More chances will be created for the CF too, whoever it may be…

Simply no need to play both JJ and John in the same side, it hinders us more than anything and neither of them have to play every game - they can rest and rotate. And maybe Sanson can join in if he ends up sticking around. 

Kamara is a class above and shows what we’ve been lacking but it’s stupid to heap too much responsibility and onus on him. He can’t and shouldn’t be expected to taken on the whole of the defensive burden/responsibility in that role in the same way Luiz often had to and was less suited to. We shouldn’t be relating the same/similar mistakes and he is still only a young lad, despite his talent and experience.

Luiz alongside Kamara gives us a lot of composure and quality on the ball. We pass and retain it so much better. And that helps a player such as Coutinho immensely, there’s no need for him to drop deep just to get on the ball then! It’s hardly rocket science!

However, the main thing I feel we lack is physicality… a stronger option to aid Kamara would be a real help… we simply don’t need any more box to box or more attack oriented midfielders (unless we’re getting rid of some which is not happening, also why the calls for a player like Gallagher make no sense to me). Solidify defensively and Buendia, Coutinho and Bailey can all work their magic!

It’s an example I sometimes go to but I recall when Arsenal broke Man Poo’s dominance and had such a formidable side. They had a strong midfield base of Vieira and Petit who, as well as bringing  physicality, had a lot of quality on the ball. It allowed the wealth of attacking talent in front of them to excel while making them such a hard team to break down. 

Not a bad example to follow at all, although we would do it our own way and in our own style.

I just really hope SG has taken a lot form preseason and the last game and is willing to change tact… 

I really, really do not want to see that lineup (1st half) or system ever again tbh…

Good post. We cannot play with 2 B2B CMs as it vacates the space in front of Kamara too frequently. Solidity is the key as you say…..great example from Arsenal of the 2 kind/type of CMs we need behind Phil.

Of our current crop I would have Doug alongside Kamara. Ramsey and McGinn together is far too open and allows teams to play through us. 

If Phil plays as part of front 3 (from the left) then have Ramsey in the midfield 3 along side DL and BK as he will give us a genuine goal threat but more importantly a ball-carrying threat. Have always liked McGinn but with the attacking players we have, I’m finding it more and more difficult to see where he fits in. 

• Thanks 2

Pros:

• He can still be considered of being a world class footballer.
•His signing has raised our profile to players, the media, commercially and to sponsors.
•He could’ve taken more money elsewhere or stayed by showed passion and desire to play football somewhere where he can be happy.
• He is a humble man by all accounts and easily the most skilful player we’ve ever had.
•His elite level experience will only benefit the team and our talented crop of youngsters, watching him train day in day out.
•He could be a WC winner by Xmas.
•All for £17 million. 

Cons:

•Can be inconsistent / non existent. 

Edited by thabucks
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Keyblade said:

If coutinho plays in the second half team yesterday there’s no issues I’m sure of it. Once again we’re seeing players being used incorrectly

Â