Philippe Coutinho

Wainy316

1 minute ago, Delphinho123 said:

That’s fair. 

Either way, I can’t see him being dropped anytime soon. It’ll be either him behind two strikers or alongside Bailey/Buendia. 

No neither can I. 

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, AntrimBlack said:

Buendia is consistently better than Coutinho. Don't let the name blind you.

Not so sure he is. They’re both pretty inconsistent. I do think Buendia is better though. 

He needs a clever striker with a good touch to pop it around with on the edge of the box in tight situations. Watkins won't do that. Ings can, but doesn't seem to be mobile enough to be in the right places often enough.

• Like 3

There will be games this season where Coutinho will single handedly win us all 3 points. 

He is a world class player. Go watch that goal at the Etihad last game of the season. 

Because we are now watching his every move, every week, of course we will see some flaws and inconsistencies. 

But no matter how you slice it, signing Coutinho has transformed Aston Villa. Without him, we don't sign Kamara or Carlos or whoever comes next. Worth every penny, IMO.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, maqroll said:

There will be games this season where Coutinho will single handedly win us all 3 points. 

He is a world class player. Go watch that goal at the Etihad last game of the season. 

Because we are now watching his every move, every week, of course we will see some flaws and inconsistencies. 

But no matter how you slice it, signing Coutinho has transformed Aston Villa. Without him, we don't sign Kamara or Carlos or whoever comes next. Worth every penny, IMO.

He certainly gives us a higher profile, but he only shows flashes of what he used to be on the pitch, which is disappointing.

• Like 2

Give Coutinho 38 Premier League games and give Buendia the same, and I know which one I would back to provide the most goals and assists, Coutinho, and I'm not even sure it would be close. As it stands I would play them both, but lets see if people are so sure Buendia is the better player come the end of the season, no shame in not being better than Coutinho, not many players are.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

Best part is Buendia is entering his peak years and gets to learn from Coutinho.

Worst part is Gerrard is in danger of wasting Buendia's peak years.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, maqroll said:

This is complete conjecture.

"Transformed Aston Villa"? From what to what? A club that couldn't sign players from Seville and Everton to one that now can?

Until those two have, (three if including Coutinho) have achieved something meaningful, to suggest Villa have been transformed is hyperbole beyond hyperbole. 

It's a really tough decision on who to include in the starting XI. Buendia and Coutinho both capable of magic, but both can be wasteful. Both are a bit lightweight in the challenge so I can't see both in the team regularly.

Coutinho is capable of producing  more magic, and Buendia is slightly more wasteful.  On the other hand, Buendia wins on workrate and ball recovery.

Then we have attitude.  Buendia has been very patient, hasn't sulked when left out, and has produced great performances as sub.  I suspect  Coutinho would not react well to being left on the bench regularly.

Conclusion?   I think I would tend to start Buendía in the tougher games away from home where more workrate is required.  Start with Coutinho at home, and start both at home to lower level opposition.

2 hours ago, maqroll said:

Those players didn't come here because of Coutinho or Gerrard. They came here because its the PL and the highest paid level in the world and the club has big aspirations to kick on.

People are so blinded by names. Both Gerrard and Coutinho have been very whelming

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, CarryOnVilla said:

I’ve been a little underwhelmed by Phill this preseason… Villa really need the best out of him this season.. especially if we have any European ambitions 

Its just pre-season though, and poor pitches as well. Like playing in a bog! 

If we just go back to our last competitive game, end of the season at Man City, he was excellent. 

Phil will be fine. 

Edited by Xela
  • Like 1

Just now, Xela said:

Its just pre-season though, and poor pitches as well. Like playing in a bog! 

If we just go back to our last competitive game, end of the season at Man City, he was excellent. 

Phil will be fine. 

I have no doubt he’ll be “fine”. 
i’m just stating the obvious 

Â