Philippe Coutinho

Wainy316

8 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Really interesting insight. 

Hopefully Coutinho is the reason other top players want to join. Let’s be honest, Digne and Coutinho are both quality players. I wonder who else will be lured in..

As much as I am keen to see who else we can sign with our evidently more appealing stature as a club…

Im not sure you could have made us sound more like a people trafficking outfit 🤣

To lure someone in sounds so… sinister 🤣

• Haha 4

14 hours ago, DJ_Villain said:

Robbie Keane was one of the main ones that Doug refused to cough up for…

He ended up going to Wolves.. and then Inter… and Spurs…

Then we eventually signed him after he had played all of his best football elsewhere

Yes, but it was still nice to see him belatedly playing in our shirt and we had a taste of what we had missed. Like DaveAV1 above, I’m also quite happy to pin that one on Doug.

Peter White writing in The Irish Times back then said, that originally Gregory had offered £5m for Keane and when that was rejected he increased the bid by £500,000. But that was not acceptable either and their chairman had insisted: "We will not take a penny less than £6 million." Gregory was said to have then lost patience with Wolves and had withdrawn his offer.

Link: https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/keane-moves-to-coventry-in-villa-snub-1.218214

I really can't see HDE leaving the whole bidding process to John Gregory, as he treated every penny going out of Villa Park, like it was his own money and I guess we will never know for sure, but our then chairman was known to like to haggle over transfer fees at the last minute (as he did with Dean Saunders & David Platt, if my memory serves me right). Thankfully our current owners can be relied to get big deals over the line with a minimum of fuss, as Philippe's signing so clearly demonstrates.    

Edited by John
  • Like 2

On 13/05/2022 at 00:29, paul514 said:

6m then, I would say that is his true value wage wise.....

I don't know the contract length but 17m, plus 18m over 3 years would be a good deal.

Yep - Coutinho signing for 4 years for a total cost of £41m is an absolutely astonishing deal.  Well done to everyone involved.  Real statement.

• Like 1

Just noticed that the Milot Rashica thread still somehow has more pages than this one. And on top of that there was a Rashica part 2 thread which itself has 26 pages.

Hopefully a good game from him tomorrow, would be nice to see him back among the goals before the end of the season.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, useless said:

Just noticed that the Milot Rashica thread still somehow has more pages than this one. And on top of that there was a Rashica part 2 thread which itself has 26 pages.

Seems very fishy 

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, useless said:

Bad times.  The fish puns have a lot to answer for.

Coutinho going to eclipse that page count now he's ours.

34 minutes ago, useless said:

Hopefully a good game from him tomorrow, would be nice to see him back among the goals before the end of the season.

I'm surprised the Rashica thread doesnt have twice as much as this one.

Just remember the days and weeks of endless rumour and puns.

11 hours ago, FLVillan said:

Yeah, but Dr Pepper will sort that out.... 

if he is unavailable Professor Peppy is a cheaper and similar practitioner 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, John said:

Yes, but it was still nice to see him belatedly playing in our shirt and we had a taste of what we had missed. Like DaveAV1 above, I’m also quite happy to pin that one on Doug.

Peter White writing in The Irish Times back then said, that originally Gregory had offered £5m for Keane and when that was rejected he increased the bid by £500,000. But that was not acceptable either and their chairman had insisted: "We will not take a penny less than £6 million." Gregory was said to have then lost patience with Wolves and had withdrawn his offer.

Link: https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/keane-moves-to-coventry-in-villa-snub-1.218214

I really can't see HDE leaving the whole bidding process to John Gregory, as he treated every penny going out of Villa Park, like it was his own money and I guess we will never know for sure, but our then chairman was known to like to haggle over transfer fees at the last minute (as he did with Dean Saunders & David Platt, if my memory serves me right). Thankfully our current owners can be relied to get big deals over the line with a minimum of fuss, as Philippe's signing so clearly demonstrates.    

Did we not sell Oakes to the dog heads for half a million a couple of weeks later? Complete madness not making that part of the Keane deal

• Like 1

13 hours ago, DJ_Villain said:
13 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

Really interesting insight. 

Hopefully Coutinho is the reason other top players want to join. Let’s be honest, Digne and Coutinho are both quality players. I wonder who else will be lured in..

Expand  

As much as I am keen to see who else we can sign with our evidently more appealing stature as a club…

Im not sure you could have made us sound more like a people trafficking outfit 🤣

To lure someone in sounds so… sinister 🤣

That's just so Delphinho 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DevonIsAPlaceOnEarth said:

Hugely encouraging that he took the 70% pay cut. He could easily have taken much more money at another club - Newcastle, America or the Middle East - but wanted to remain here. I really hope having his future settled brings out a masterclass performance today.

When you factor in an amortised £17m over 4 years = £4.25m a year for the club, thats a masterstroke type deal. Haggling that original £33m down to include a 50% sell on to Barcelona, fully knowing he’s settled and is staying anyway. They just had to get him off the books, what a deal that turned out for them 🤣

fans get to enjoy Coutinho a good few years. Happy days

• Like 2

My feeling on this deal was always depending on the money involved. Didn't want us to bail out Barcelona but instead wait them out until they got desperate, and we did. Also great to see that we got the salary thing at a very reasonable level. No idea how Coutinho & Barca worked it out but also don't care.

For the price and salary touted I think it's a great deal and very positive for the club. Now it's in Gerrard and the coaching teams hands to work out how to get him and Buendia to work together. They both need to be on the pitch together as much as possible.

• Like 1

Â